Burton Albion Promoted!

Day

Are you saying you expect the publicly funded radio Derby to cater specifically to your tastes? It may be called radio Derby, but it has to cover a wider catchment area than just one city.

Nah, I barely care. Just don't like hearing about Burton. If that's ok?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people like Burton, is there something I'm missing?

​I don't know if many Derby fans really do 'like' them, but I'd always prefer them to do well over a team that is nowhere near us. I find it hard to be a neutral watching any game, so things like their locality swings these things. When it's Burton vs Morecambe, what possible reason would I have to side with Morecambe? I obviously want Burton to win that.

​I don't know if many Derby fans really do 'like' them, but I'd always prefer them to do well over a team that is nowhere near us. I find it hard to be a neutral watching any game, so things like their locality swings these things. When it's Burton vs Morecambe, what possible reason would I have to side with Morecambe? I obviously want Burton to win that.

Agree. They are the nearest league team to us so I always think of them as local

I don't support Burton, but I have a 'soft spot' for them. I'm sure others on here feel the same about Matlock, Ilson, Alfreton etc.

Burton Albion and Derby County have always had something of a special relationship. If the Brewers had a particularly promising player Derby heard about it first. When Burton got further than the Rams in the Cup and were drawn at home they played the game against Leicester at the BBG. Coming from the Burton area I used to go to Eton Road quite often especially when their numbers 10 and 11 were Kevin Hector and Ian Storey Moore!

Regarding Radio Derby, I remember it starting up and we in Tutbury were surprised at how much airspace was given to Burton and district. even now their 1116 waveband covers Burton matches.

Congratulations to my second favourite team on their promotion which is fully deserved.

Although I now live within shouting distance of the Hawthorns, Molyneux, St Andrews, Villa Park and the Bescot Stadium my allegiance is to the Rams always first and the Brewers second. One day they will face each other in a major competition. a mouth watering prospect IMO!

Nottingham is only a couple extra miles, spend a lot of time in leagues below them. Shared players and managers, can't fill their ground, punching above their weight, I might start supporting them.

BBC cuts could even find us on the same radio station, how cool would that be.

Come on Forest!

Nottingham is only a couple extra miles, spend a lot of time in leagues below them. Shared players and managers, can't fill their ground, punching above their weight, I might start supporting them.

Come on Forest!

​Your geography is a bit out, but that apart Derby have always drawn a lot of support from the Burton area. Radio Derby covers Derbyshire and East Staffs, so I am sure that there are many who while being Derby fans have also enjoyed the success at Burton Albion. I am sure that if Alfreton or Ilkeston managed to find their way into the league then they would also have their coverage increased. Excellent achievement to find their way into League one as a small club with no debt.

I've always liked them until I found out they sing nasty songs about us lol. Along with Chesterfield I guess all Derbyshire aren't we.

​Of course they sing nasty songs about us. It's aspirational. Actually it's that kind of patronising aloofness I just exemplified  that really winds them up more than anything. So we should all be super nice to Burton and Chesterfield.

Come on Forest!

​Except that there's a historic rivalry between the two counties of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, and the cities of Derby and Nottingham that completely predates football.

​Except that there's a historic rivalry between the two counties of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, and the cities of Derby and Nottingham that completely predates football.

​There's a lovely old song that epitomises the historic rivalry between our two famous old cities, it goes something like this........

We hate Nottingham Forest

We hate Liverpool too, (and Leicester!)

We hate Man Uni - ted,

But Forest, we hate you....

altogether now......

Archived