Ovis aries

Rate the last film you saw partie deux

21 hours ago, 86 points said:

Was actually going to watch this but have no idea whether I should or not now. Stringer reckons it's hilarious but not sure how to take that observation tbh¬†ūü§∑‚Äć‚ôÄÔłŹ

Its genuinely creepy but sometimes I just find myself unexpectedly laughing out loud. A few people found that apparently as there's loads of instances on reddit etc of people who saw it at the pictures whining that those who sat next to them ruined the tension as they were laughing so much.

3 hours ago, RebelScum said:

The films really draws you in and makes you think about what people in Nazi occupied countries had to endure, flag waving Brexiteers who think we stood alone and Europe owes us etc. should watch!

Without trying to get back into this argument on here which is taboo- but I haven't brought it up.   If someone votes to leave it doesn't mean they have no social awareness,  believe we stood alone or Europe owes us.  Neither are they spuriously brain dead with no viewpoint worth consideration.  In the words of Bill Hicks ' No one dies for a flag -they die to give you the right to burn flags if you choose'. We live in a democracy - someone can have a differing view without being constantly harangued for it.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Without trying to get back into this argument on here which is taboo- but I haven't brought it up.   If someone votes to leave it doesn't mean they have no social awareness,  believe we stood alone or Europe owes us.  Neither are they spuriously brain dead with no viewpoint worth consideration.  In the words of Bill Hicks ' No one dies for a flag -they die to give you the right to burn flags if you choose'. We live in a democracy - someone can have a differing view without being constantly harangued for it.

You're right, even if you're wrong ūüėą

6 hours ago, RebelScum said:

Anthropoid

WW2 story of the assassination of SS General Reinhard Heydrich, the main architect behind the Final Solution and the Reich's third in command after Hitler and Himmler. in 1943 he was sent to stamp Nazi authority on the people of Czechoslovakia.

The films really draws you in and makes you think about what people in Nazi occupied countries had to endure, flag waving Brexiteers who think we stood alone and Europe owes us etc. should watch!

I have never really understood why they did this considering the repercussions, but I guess there is always a bigger picture involved in these things.

Bit of trivia, 'Anthropoid' means resembling a human being - fitting as the film stars Cillian 'cold as ice' Murphy.

Barry Stanton is spinning in his grave.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Intelligent and reasoned people believe leaving Europe will be a good thing which I accept. I was only referring to the masses, who leading up to the referendum and in the years following were very vocal in the press on the radio and especially on social media about 'The Empire' and 'we stood alone!' etc. as if this had any meaning or even relevance.

Didn't want to start a political debate  - I just took the opportunity to get a cheap shot in!

5 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Barry Stanton is spinning in his grave.

The fictional blogger... I hope that's who you mean (not the actor)? ūüėē

9 hours ago, RebelScum said:

Intelligent and reasoned people believe leaving Europe will be a good thing which I accept. I was only referring to the masses.

Didn't want to start a political debate  - I just took the opportunity to get a cheap shot in!

Nice post & a. typical example of the remainer I'm alright Jack masses.

To hell with the environment let it suffer under the poisonous CAP, let austerity reign down on the poorest, let those who want a vote on their right to self govern in Catalonia be beaten back into line...nowt wrong with the black shirted Jack booted approach in our EU gang....as long as my smug existence isn't threatened.

Sorry but just wanted to replicate your cheap shot.

Edited by sheeponacid
Sorry I didn't want to turn it into a political debate either

Getting back to the title of the thread I saw The Mule yesterday. Liked it. A gardener who grows day lilies and exhibits them to the extent that he forgets his family. Gets accidentally involved with a Mexican drugs cartel. Buts funny, bits sad. But a hell of a shock to see Clint looking so old and stooped and thin. Mind you he is nearly 90 and still looks better than me!

10 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Getting back to the title of the thread I saw The Mule yesterday. Liked it. A gardener who grows day lilies and exhibits them to the extent that he forgets his family. Gets accidentally involved with a Mexican drugs cartel. Buts funny, bits sad. But a hell of a shock to see Clint looking so old and stooped and thin. Mind you he is nearly 90 and still looks better than me!

I thought it started really well and Clint's portrayal of the likeable but flawed old gent was great.  Dragged a little towards the end and needed a bit more going on but still worth a watch. 7/10.

It Comes at Night - good tense atmospheric chiller, in a 28-Days Later kinda way.  Not big budget thrills n spills but taut and grimey... 8/10

Edited by Chester40
Edit

The Secret of Marrowbone

A young man and his three younger siblings, who have kept secret the death of their beloved mother in order to remain together, are plagued by a sinister presence in the sprawling manor in which they live.

Very good. More unsettling than scary but keeps you guessing.

9/10

After not been to the pictures for ages, have just seen three films in quick succession. Stan and Ollie, Steve Coogan and John C Reilly doing a superb understated performance in the title roles. Really good insight to what happened after their height of fame , funny and sad, very nostalgic, solid 7/10.        Can You Ever Forgive Me, Richard E Grant and Melissa McCarthy. Not a fan of her films but she was really good in this, playing an author with one published  book to her name, functioning alcoholic and down on her luck. Not a nice character at all but Richard E Grant brings some fun and daring to her life, he’s fantastic in it. She finds a celebrity letter in a library book and sells it, then realises she can fake them, based on a true story. 8/10

Finally, Green Book, a New York bouncer Viggio Mortensen takes a job as a driver for a talented black pianist touring the Deep South  in the early 60s played by Mahershala Ali. Best of the bunch, fantastic performances , seeing racism and bigotry in all forms but still a feel good movie, 9/10