Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Piece on Sky with Usyk discussing Chisora fight and his hopes to get fights with Fury AND Joshua. Gotta love his ambition but while I fancy him to beat Chisora, he'd do well not to take him too lightly. I think this is more of an acid test for Usyk after which we'll know a deal more about his ability to handle these big lads. Can he step up? My gut says yes based on skill set but the physicality thing is still a question for me so I'd not be taking short odds about it. Chisora is nothing if not durable and while Usyk is an altogether more proficient boxer, he'll have his hands full early on at very least.

EDIT - Ooops! Forgot link 

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/11960744/oleksandr-usyk-vows-to-take-world-heavyweight-titles-from-anthony-joshua-and-tyson-fury

Edited by 86 Schmokes & a Pancake

Watched all Usyk v Gassiev, Usyk v Glowacki, Usyk v Joyce, Loma v Linares, Loma v Rigondeaux (however you spell it), Loma v Martinez, Canelo v GGG 1 and 2, AJ v Whyte, AJ v Povetkin, AJ v Breazeale, Dubois v Gorman, Fury v Chisora, Fury v Wlad, Fury v Wilder 1 and 2, Fitzgerald v Fowler, Whyte v Chisora, Whyte v Parker, Mayweather v Pacquiao, Pacquiao v Broner, Bellew v Haye 2, Bellew v Makabu, Froch v Groves, Lewis v Vitali Klitschko, Tyson v Holyfield, Tyson v Bruno. 

YouTube suggestions got out of hand lately. 

But even during this crisis I still wouldn't watch Lawrence Okolie if he was fighting in my garden. 

7 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Comes in work sometimes,that’s my only comment.

Actually comes across as a sound lad in interviews I've seen, but this was plain daft! I very much doubt it was meant as anything other than a joke it's just not something you post to social media.

They've revoked his license in any case so doubtless a lesson learned.

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Actually comes across as a sound lad in interviews I've seen, but this was plain daft! I very much doubt it was meant as anything other than a joke it's just not something you post to social media.

They've revoked his license in any case so doubtless a lesson learned.

Yes,obviously I can’t comment on here but I have met him.

I know he does a lot for charity.

18 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I'd love to know what he's like because he seems well liked in boxing? But I don't find him likeable at all. 

Still think he's got a lot to prove too which is why he isn't a big draw despite his promising performances (Andy Lee, David Lemieux) and being a x2 world champion. 

However this video I don't think is that bad. I don't think he condones domestic violence because he made a stupid video. 

But he was a dick in his last stupid video and to even risk being called out like this again shows he doesn't really give a poo. 

Which is cool. 

But I don't like him. 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Hadn't thought of that. You might have a point.

Just reminds me of the Tyson Fury situation. Fury goes into a hole for 2 years, comes back and they said he was suspended. How convenient he didn't want to fight during that time. 

Thought he'd served a ban from competitive fighting since he beat Andy Lee. At least this ban saves those Albanian middleweights from leaving their potato farms. 

On 30/03/2020 at 17:33, Van Cone De Head said:

Is this in support of someone who appears decent in person however stupid or just mitigating as you haven't got other positive things to say? 

I've seen some of his charity work. That Charles Adamu can now feed his family back in Ghana because BJS chose to fight him in his 27th professional fight as part of his prep to take on the formidable Shefat Isufi for a world title. 

• 2 weeks later...

Loma would absolutely destroy Haney. I guess the latter is hoping tat somehow by being the most obnoxious twit in the game, the fight might actually get made. Can't se it myself.

In other news and just as daft, Carl Froch has called out Joe Calzaghe. The motormouthed narcissist that is Froch had a great career but Joe's not far shy of 50 now FFS. In their respective primes, Calzaghe would have absolutely humiliated Froch who struggled with the mobility of George Groves first time around, so wouldn't have lbeen able to lay a glove on Joe.

Guess these guys are all getting some sort of isolation madness thing as they're all talking utter baalocks IMO ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/52271187

He's 21. I don't think he's got anywhere near the experience to go 12 rounds with Lomachenko. He's a promising fighter who's brushed aside those he is expected to. And he wants to call out a guy who's been fighting for as many years as Haney has been breathing? And he wants to bring race into it? 

Devin, you're a ducking idiot. Believed your own hype. You've beaten nobody that prepares you for Lomachenko. 

Is he from the Mayweather stable? Another one of the "next Mayweather" hype jobs? All seem to talk quicker than they fight. Including Mayweather which is some achievement considering he's a legendary boxer. 

Joe Calzaghe never really got the attention he deserved. He came along at a time where the best were getting past it and he was able to pick them off. He was just a great fighter stood on his own with no real prime great fighters to have super fights with. Great fighter though. 

Froch v Calzaghe would have been incredible. He's hard as nails isn't he, Froch. So tough. He really was a warrior. But a complete Bamford. I can't stand his constant pouting at camera and he's arrogant as owt. 

I'd put money on Calzaghe when both in their prime. It wouldn't be the war that Froch would want. I reckon Calzaghe is the smarter boxer with the skills to win rounds while having plenty of toughness to deal with Froch success. 

Andre Ward haunts Froch. A guy who just refused to get sucked in and just boxed his way through. Calzaghe to do the same. 

Although now the years have passed I bet Froch would rather fight him now than back in his own prime. He may have a plastic nose but I bet his chin is still concrete