Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Does anyone fancy BJS to beat Canelo? 

If I was a betting man I'd bet heavy on Canelo. It's hard not to sound disrespectful to BJS who definitely has more to him but Canelo... probably the most complete fighter in the sport. Picks his opponents a bit but still shows he has everything. 

I'd put him ahead of Lomachenko I think. Not as good to watch though. P4P number 1 and 2

Tough one really, my mind says I should go with Canelo but I have a huge urge to go for BJS.

6 minutes ago, Squid said:

Tough one really, my mind says I should go with Canelo but I have a huge urge to go for BJS.

I decided it by thinking HOW each fighter could win. 

I can see Canelo knocking BJS out. I can see him schooling him. I can't see BJS knocking out Canelo in 24 rounds never mind 12. The question is does BJS outbox Canelo? 

He would have to repeat Fury v Klitschko. It would have to be a masterclass. 

I reckon he probably beats GGG now. GGG has been slowing down for a while and BJS is the worst kind of opponent for him now. He needs guys who will stick around. 

If he beats Canelo then he becomes a huge name instantly and you'd back him against anyone. 

54 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I decided it by thinking HOW each fighter could win. 

I can see Canelo knocking BJS out. I can see him schooling him. I can't see BJS knocking out Canelo in 24 rounds never mind 12. The question is does BJS outbox Canelo? 

He would have to repeat Fury v Klitschko. It would have to be a masterclass. 

I reckon he probably beats GGG now. GGG has been slowing down for a while and BJS is the worst kind of opponent for him now. He needs guys who will stick around. 

If he beats Canelo then he becomes a huge name instantly and you'd back him against anyone. 

47 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This is probably one of those comments that will age horribly, but I can't really envisage any realistic scenario in which BJS beats Canelo.

The only way BJS is going to beat Canelo is on points, I can't see him knocking him out AT ALL.

5 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

I know exactly what you mean - but I sort of bought into the tactics of it and the suspense was palpable

It was a bit of a comedown from the fight before it, from a 5 round war to a slow cagey largely uneventful fight, didn't help that I was basically falling asleep watching it either.

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yep, I suspect he'll try proper bully tactics. That is probably what Usyk wants before stepping up for world titles. 

His only fight at HW was against Chad Witherspoon (me neither) and although he beat him up I didn't think it was a performance to make the heavies pay any attention. When Witherspoon hit him on the guard it looked to me like it shifted Usyk's balance off. Maybe it was ring rust or he's just not found his weight yet. 

Chisora will be all over that though, like you said. 

I do think Chisora will lose pace and the work of Usyk will be too much. But if Chisora bullies him then you have to worry for Usyk when he fights the younger guys who come with the same weight and height +. 

Usyk will fight pretty much the same fight he did against Bellew, weather the storm then come good with technical superiority. Difference was he knew he could withstand Bellew, Chisora isn't the biggest banger but you'll know you've been hit when he connects. I love the congrats thrown out to Usyk on the Beeb site, saying that he can sit it out as WBO mandatory but risked a fight against AJ for this one. Maybe Dillian has a view on how much he is actually risking....

Edited by BaaLocks

5 hours ago, Squid said:

The only way BJS is going to beat Canelo is on points, I can't see him knocking him out AT ALL.

Agree on that, even Thanos looks glass jawed compared to Alvarez. But the Saunders that fought David Le Mieux was something else, he utterly schooled him that night. If that fighter gets in the ring he's got a chance but the problem is you get one good two bad one OK two bad one excellent two more average with Billie Joe.

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

Definitely. 

We'll learn so much about Usyk. Don't think there's a better HW to put it on Usyk's toes and bully him. 

I think Usyk wins on points or late retirement/stoppage etc. I think he'll break Chisora down but not KO him. But the interesting thing will be with how he deals with Chisora's weight, strength and any combinations that put him on his back foot. Wonder if he will look strong. 

Chisora's got to get on his toes and lean on, work close and overwhelm him with weight and strength. Make it horrible. If Usyk can't keep him off enough to let his class tell, then Del is in with a shot, but if Usyk dictates the range it'll be a long night for him.

21 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

How very dare you!!!! 

?

It's his chin and power that does it. 

I'd rather watch Loma but I think Canelo's chin and power carry through the weights better. But he's had what? 50 fights to prove himself. I expect by fight 30 that Lomachenko will have either been "found out" or have nobody left to fight. 

Amazing fighters. 

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's his chin and power that does it. 

I'd rather watch Loma but I think Canelo's chin and power carry through the weights better. But he's had what? 50 fights to prove himself. I expect by fight 30 that Lomachenko will have either been "found out" or have nobody left to fight. 

Amazing fighters. 

Ok, I'll let you off then ?

Being serious for a min, I've never seen anyone fight like Loma and whilst he's not had that many fights as a pro he was 396-1 in his amateur career. 

I am a bit biased though as the Canelo Triple-G fight still sticks in my craw. The former has always seemed a tad 'suspect' to me too.

Edited by 86 Schmokes & a Pancake

17 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Ok, I'll let you off then ?

Being serious for a min, I've never seen anyone fight like Loma and whilst he's not had that many fights as a pro he was 396-1 in his amateur career. 

I am a bit biased though as the Canelo Triple-G fight still sticks in my craw. The former has always seemed a tad 'suspect' to me too.

Yeah I think Canelo was very very relieved to get the draw the first time. Second time i thought he won by 2 or 3 rounds and I think he's got the measure of GGG now. 

I want to see Loma v Gervonta Davis. Love to see Davis get toyed with. 

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah I think Canelo was very very relieved to get the draw the first time. Second time i thought he won by 2 or 3 rounds and I think he's got the measure of GGG now. 

I want to see Loma v Gervonta Davis. Love to see Davis get toyed with. 

Agreed. Had GGG winning the 1st fight myself but Canelo is a hot property. Hmmm. I see there might be a 3rd instalment too. 

As for Davis, let's be honest, he really needs a hiding and Loma seems just the right guy to give the horrible little scrote a bit of a schooling. 

7 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Agreed. Had GGG winning the 1st fight myself but Canelo is a hot property. Hmmm. I see there might be a 3rd instalment too. 

As for Davis, let's be honest, he really needs a hiding and Loma seems just the right guy to give the horrible little scrote a bit of a schooling. 

We often forget that most boxers come from dark places and can frequently be rather unpleasant people inside and/or outside the ring. With Gervonta Davis you are constantly reminded in everything he does.