Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Where did he come up with the whole black vs white thing? 

It's when he says stuff like that and backs it up with the ringwalk that you just find him hard to support. 

I know he's playing his role. I know he's trying to sell himself and trying to identify himself with a fanbase but he just doesn't know when to shut up sometimes. 

The black power fist gesture? Hmm. Smells like attention seeking.

And just like Bernard Hopkins, it did him no good at all.

19 minutes ago, Squid said:

Fury v AJ at either Wembley or Spurs's new stadium...

Biggest fight of the decade.

AJ really needs to step up to the plate.

I've always thought AJ < Wilder < Fury and if Fury fights like he did against Wilder then AJ will be down in 3-4 rounds.

Joshua is better than Wilder. Much more technical, stronger, fought better opposition. Wilder is just one big right hand. AJ will do much better against Fury than Wilder did.

Wilder has no names on his resume, his biggest win is Ortiz who ranks Dave Allen up there for his biggest wins. C level skills with A+ power, I'm glad Fury pulled it off and I was a fool to doubt the Kronk style in this rematch. For interest I went back to see how AJ dealt with the Kronk style against Wlad, AJ vs Fury will be a great close fight, anyone that thinks AJ will be worried needs to go back and watch. They've sparred before so he is no stranger.

Did anyone see the Fury's mouthpiece? Nigerian flag with Nigeria written on it, was a gift from AJ.

Be amazing if it happens. Will be the biggest fight ever. Fury v Wilder 2 was a record for Vegas wasn't it? It will do insane numbers I would have thought. Especially if AJ defends Pulev and Tyson either beats Wilder again or takes on and beats another big fight in the States. 

Before their last 2 fights you would say AJ can't box and Fury can't really punch. 

The improvement in AJ's boxing vs Ruiz was massive. He looks better at low end 17st. He doesn't go back in straight lines like Wilder so will be more difficult to walk down. He throws more shots especially counter punches. His ring IQ is better than Wilder. His jab is solid. 

I think the only worry for AJ vs Wilder was that his defence is nothing special. It might be better than Wilder's but is it enough to stop Deontay landing first? I'd bet yes but it could well be a shootout. It probably would be a 3 or 4 round fight at maximum. 

Based on the improvements AJ made and being lighter I'd say he stood a strong chance vs Fury. I could see him landing a few nice combos and stopping Fury inside 12. 

And then Fury comes along and looks great at 19st. You think he can't punch and he dropping world champions with body shots. His amazing movement and defence and his skill in the clinch are all second best to an attacking coming forward display. No sign of his slap jab. He's throwing straight rights and right hooks more than ever. 

Both fighters showing how they can adapt. Adding to what they already have to get the victory they were denied first time.

I would probably bet on Tyson. At 19st he's able to drain opponents in the clinch. I think AJ could drop him as he hits harder than anyone else but Wilder imo. He has a truly horrible uppercut that would drop anyone. Fast counterpuncher. He could defo drop Tyson. But based on Saturday night Tyson is closer to master of all trades. And he is huge. 

If AJ was to slow right down in the mid rounds like he has in the past then Tyson could well take him out in there

I really hope it happens. More than once too because they have both shown they can adapt their styles unlike Wilder. 

Please let it happen! 

16 hours ago, Alpha said:

Where did he come up with the whole black vs white thing? 

It's when he says stuff like that and backs it up with the ringwalk that you just find him hard to support. 

I know he's playing his role. I know he's trying to sell himself and trying to identify himself with a fanbase but he just doesn't know when to shut up sometimes. 

The black power fist gesture? Hmm. Smells like attention seeking.

Where? Well maybe Alabama?

• African Americans make up 42% of people on death row and 34% of those executed,17 but only 13% of the population is black.
  • You are seventeen times more likely to be executed in America if your victim what white than if they were black.
  • For every nine people executed one person is exonerated, suggesting one in nine is incorrectly executed.
  • Last year, with a state population of 4.5 million people, Alabama imposed more new death sentences than Texas, with a population of 24 million.

Deontay might be a bit of a twonk at times, and he's certainly no Martin Luther King, but it's a little more than attention seeking or - if it is - I sure hope he gets the attention.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Where? Well maybe Alabama?

• African Americans make up 42% of people on death row and 34% of those executed,17 but only 13% of the population is black.
  • You are seventeen times more likely to be executed in America if your victim what white than if they were black.
  • For every nine people executed one person is exonerated, suggesting one in nine is incorrectly executed.
  • Last year, with a state population of 4.5 million people, Alabama imposed more new death sentences than Texas, with a population of 24 million.

Deontay might be a bit of a twonk at times, and he's certainly no Martin Luther King, but it's a little more than attention seeking or - if it is - I sure hope he gets the attention.

That's me told. 

I wasn't aware of any of that 

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Who would everyone want to win? I'm split.

I wouldn't mind. So long as the result is fair and we get a rematch. Then in the rematch I'd want the guy who lost to win. 

Both been great for the sport. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

That's me told. 

I wasn't aware of any of that 

Thx for that, nice response.

If you have a spare couple of hours and feel like getting utterly depressed take a look at the film, or read the book, Just Mercy if you are interested. It's pretty bleak material and makes you realise just how far lots of America is from that which the Orange one might have us all believe is the reality. I'm not the most widely travelled in North America but you don't have to get too far from the big cities to see just how inequality is.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I wouldn't mind. So long as the result is fair and we get a rematch. Then in the rematch I'd want the guy who lost to win. 

Both been great for the sport. 

Yeah, they have both been a breath of fresh air to global boxing and British sport. Only a few years ago all we had was Chisora throwing tables and Haye wearing shirts with severed heads on them. I do think somehow Joshua has tamed Fury, who even before his troubles said some pretty dumb things. They both talk with their fists and it's something special to have them at the same time but if only they had been born ten years apart - I could then have lived with three of the most dominant heavyweights in my lifetime being British (well, one was pretty much Canadian but still).

Strange that Joshua has somewhat been put in the shadow of Fury, he looked like the absolute poster boy a couple of years back and now it's sort of swung so that he's a bit second fiddle.

As for Wilder it's going to be interesting, is he going to be like Tyson that once the bully gets bullied everyone stands up and beats them. Or was there something not quite right? I'm amazed how gassed he looked after three rounds, staggered he got floored with a body shot in the fifth. And from a boxer that has never been renowned for being a big banger. Actually, I went and watched the first fight again this morning and if you look at Wilder when he floored Fury in the first fight he looks fresher in the twelfth than he did at the end of the second on Sunday morning. Maybe it's the extra weight (Joshua said it felt like carrying a baby on each shoulder when he bulked up for the Pulev / Takam fight) but I'm still a little surprised just how quickly Deontay faded.

Edited by BaaLocks

48 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Thx for that, nice response.

If you have a spare couple of hours and feel like getting utterly depressed take a look at the film, or read the book, Just Mercy if you are interested. It's pretty bleak material and makes you realise just how far lots of America is from that which the Orange one might have us all believe is the reality. I'm not the most widely travelled in North America but you don't have to get too far from the big cities to see just how inequality is.

I will have a look. Those statistics are shocking

7 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Who would everyone want to win? I'm split.

Personally I’d want Fury to win. 

My opinion of Joshua has been tainted by the matchroom/Sky spoonfed propaganda and pay-per-view/box-office reputation prematurely thrust on him in a bid to exploit boxing fans. 

whilst he’s got talent, he was labelled as a great before he’d even faced a challenge. 

Fury has had to battle against the odds. Not being signed up as a “earn with Hearn” boxer would’ve ended most careers, and they did all they could to discredit his capabilities. 

I see its being reported Wilder has triggered the rematch clause. 

I understand why he's done it, but how depressing for the majority of fans.

Been there, done that. At the moment I cant think of anything less inspiring than another round of pre fight hype, the same pre fight analysis and invariably the same result. It was beginning to get a bit overkill in the run up to last Saturday. 

There's also a risk Fury might be a bit bored for fight 3 as well. 

3 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I see its being reported Wilder has triggered the rematch clause. 

I understand why he's done it, but how depressing for the majority of fans.

Been there, done that. At the moment I cant think of anything less inspiring than another round of pre fight hype, the same pre fight analysis and invariably the same result. It was beginning to get a bit overkill in the run up to last Saturday. 

There's also a risk Fury might be a bit bored for fight 3 as well. 

That's a bad move imo. 

He should claim injury or say he's taking a year out. Come back at Christmas and work through some top 10 fighters and make AJ your next mega fight

Brave move.