Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

C'mon!!!!!!!!!

Credit to Wilder for showing a champions grit. But ask Chisora what Tyson Fury does to you if you don't stop. He never drops pace. He is a 12 round fighter. He. Does. Not. Stop. 

When you put Tyson in a fight he comes in with skill and clowning around

When you put a challenge right on his toes then you get a 6ft 9, 19st relentless masterclass of unpredictability. 

His off beat timing destroyed Wilder. It's a similar approach of say Usyk at these weights and then you have to go down to the light heavies and super middle to find guys that change height and distance so quickly and often. 

Wilder is truly beaten by Fury now. Surely he won't be back for more. He's had 19 rounds to stop Tyson. He's won what? 3 rounds max? And he had a nightmare then. Completely unable to even get Fury to respect the jab never mind hold him in place for a hook. 

Wilder had a few moments where he was afforded a bit of recovery time and he had one moment where the ref could have called it. The corner did the right thing. Another 5 rounds of that? Live to fight another day dude. You might not be able to if you go out on your shield. 

Guess what.

All the world heavyweight boxing titles are in Britain!!! We have 2 heavyweight champions!! 

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Give us the unification in Wembley. Please. Nobody needs to see that fight run back, Fury won both comfortably. 

I can't see Wilder coming back for more. I don't see how he can reinvent himself as a boxer to be able to land the heavy shots. 

If Fury hadn't got up from that 12th round you could still say that he can still beat Wilder. He could comeback and box perfect. Or he could start sitting down on his shots because he rocked Wilder a couple of times. 

What do you say to Wilder now? In the third fight you need to... pin Fury with the jab? The best jab in the world belonged to Wladimir Klitschko and Fury took it away. Cover up and lure him in for an inside fight? Wilder is too small. That was a career heaviest weight and he got mauled. He might have to just let this one go. 

He will always have the best punchers chance in history. But that's 19 rounds done with Fury so...

As @sage said, AJ might be best leaving Fury for a bit. Get his mandatory defences done. But thankfully I don't think he will and we could be in line for the monster of monster fights!!! ?

Edited by Alpha

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I can't see Wilder coming back for more. I don't see how he can reinvent himself as a boxer to be able to land the heavy shots. 

If Fury hadn't got up from that 12th round you could still say that he can still beat Wilder. He could comeback and box perfect. Or he could start sitting down on his shots because he rocked Wilder a couple of times. 

What do you say to Wilder now? In the third fight you need to... pin Fury with the jab? The best jab in the world belonged to Wladimir Klitschko and Fury took it away. Cover up and lure him in for an inside fight? Wilder is too small. That was a career heaviest weight and he got mauled. He might have to just let this one go. 

He will always have the best punchers chance in history. But that's 19 rounds done with Fury so...

As @sage said, AJ might be best leaving Fury in the wild for a bit. Get his mandatory defences done. But thankfully I don't think he will and we could be in line for the monster of monster fights!!! ?

Fury was so aggressive today, he wasn't scared of Wilder's power at all. Just kept walking forward, not sure Wilder knew how to handle somebody who wasn't scared of his big shots. I agree with you, I can't see Wilder taking it again, unless he's gambling on just getting a freak shot to take Tyson out, but he didn't manage it in 19 rounds, can't see why he would in the next fight. He should fight Ruiz, or Whyte. Get a name he can beat on there.

AJ taking Fury definitely isn't the wise option, but it's the option we all deserve to see. After all the top contenders ducking each other for years, we might finally get the big one! 

Just now, Andicis said:

Fury was so aggressive today, he wasn't scared of Wilder's power at all. Just kept walking forward, not sure Wilder knew how to handle somebody who wasn't scared of his big shots. I agree with you, I can't see Wilder taking it again, unless he's gambling on just getting a freak shot to take Tyson out, but he didn't manage it in 19 rounds, can't see why he would in the next fight. He should fight Ruiz, or Whyte. Get a name he can beat on there.

AJ taking Fury definitely isn't the wise option, but it's the option we all deserve to see. After all the top contenders ducking each other for years, we might finally get the big one! 

That's a good call for Wilder. Go for Ruiz. If he can KO him nice and east then he could probably push himself towards people calling for a Joshua fight. Joshua obviously could KO Wilder quite easily I think but it would be a bit of a shootout.

It would be funny if Dillian Whyte got the chance to refuse Wilder. 

The thing about AJ v Fury is they could do it a few times. Joshua is more complete fighter than Wilder and he did get past a more skilful fighter than himself when he beat Klitschko. So he should have the belief. 

What a performance! You said he'd stop Wilder in round 9 but I bet you were shocked when he flattened him so early on! He looked in trouble in round 1!! I thought they were gonna introduce a half time interval to help him recover the bloody cheats! 

24 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Wilder is truly beaten by Fury now. Surely he won't be back for more.

Gave you a 'Come On Derby' as no Get In Tyson' emojis are available.

Thinking exactly the same thing. I know both had clauses for Wilder - Fury 3 but surely that'll be off the table now. It's not just that Wilder is poorly equipped to deal with someone like Fury but his team seemed to have no Plan A let alone Plan B. I think it would have taken a JCB to move Tyson tonight but I've never seen a corner offer so little encouragement or advice to their fighter. Compare and contrast with the Steward masterplan, brilliantly observed and conceived and equally expertly executed by Tyson himself. This was a very one-sided affair. The only downside being I had Tyson at 5/2 to win by UD. On that note, the Skybet survey had over 70% predicting a win for Wilder!!! Go figure...

Anyway, for his own sake, I kinda hope that Wilder takes a raincheck on fight 3. Have to say he's kinda grown on me a little as I think there's more to him than he sometimes wants us to see and he's got all kinds of heart. Would hate to see him get really bust up and I can't see any other outcome if they do go again.

As for Tyson, he's a fight or two from truly legendary status in the boxing world, and by that I mean the absolute top echelon. His toughest job now will be trying to find someone to give him a proper fight! To think I had him written off completely not so long ago. Only question I have now is I who will play him in the movie about his life? Some story.

Just now, Alpha said:

That's a good call for Wilder. Go for Ruiz. If he can KO him nice and east then he could probably push himself towards people calling for a Joshua fight. Joshua obviously could KO Wilder quite easily I think but it would be a bit of a shootout.

It would be funny if Dillian Whyte got the chance to refuse Wilder. 

The thing about AJ v Fury is they could do it a few times. Joshua is more complete fighter than Wilder and he did get past a more skilful fighter than himself when he beat Klitschko. So he should have the belief. 

What a performance! You said he'd stop Wilder in round 9 but I bet you were shocked when he flattened him so early on! He looked in trouble in round 1!! I thought they were gonna introduce a half time interval to help him recover the bloody cheats! 

With respect to Ortiz, who's past his best, Wilder has only ever fought Fury at top level and was schooled twice. I think Joshua would prove too much to handle for Wilder, he's far more technically gifted than Wilder and has great knockout power too. I genuinely think Ruiz in the right mindset could cause problems for Wilder too, great chin and fast hands. 

I think the new lighter Joshua that fought Ruiz last time would definitely be Fury's toughest test since Wlad. Has a lot of power but also isn't a one trick pony like Wilder is. Surely would break all kind of records for viewership in this country? 

I genuinely didn't think he was going to get past 3. I suspected the heavy Fury meant what he said when he was going for the knockout, but no part of me saw him flying out the gates like that! He was getting ragdolled about in those clinches. Masterclass. 

48 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Sometimes I get bored with the hype around boxing these days, but I’ve absolutely loved this one, it was so hard to call and the hype added to the intrigue and suspense. Reckon AJ v Fury would be the same, although on that performance, right now, I don’t know who could live with Fury.

A Fury masterclass, he was outrageously brilliant, I’ve just rediscovered my love of heavyweight boxing. Maybe it was the injustice of the first fight, I was rooting for Fury with full on tribalism to put down Wilder. What a showman, would love AJ v Fury, it’s Great Britain that rules the heavyweight division (and Chisora or Whyte rather, in the wings too).

Edited by Zag zig

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Sometimes I get bored with the hype around boxing these days, but I’ve absolutely loved this one, it was so hard to call and the hype added to the intrigue and suspense. Reckon AJ v Fury would be the same, although on that performance, right now, I don’t know who could live with Fury.

A Fury masterclass, he was outrageously brilliant, I’ve just rediscovered my love of heavyweight boxing. Maybe it was the injustice of the first fight, I was rooting for Fury with full on tribalism to put down Wilder. What a showman, would love AJ v Fury, it’s Great Britain that rules the heavyweight division (and Chisora in the wings too).

I know what you mean. Not sure if you watched the undercard, the Charles Martin fight was absolutely abysmal. Poor, poor quality fight. Glad the main event lived up to all I had hoped for. That's the thing with Wilder, no matter how hard he's being beat, he's still got that punch in him. I wasn't totally comfortable until the towel came in and it was over. Luckily AJ has a lot more in his locker than Fury, if we get that fight! 

I hope us holding all the heavyweight belts finally gets us the best fights at prime time here. None of this 5-6am business. What I love about Fury, is he didn't sit and moan about the awful, corrupt decision of the first fight, just got back on with it and this time didn't give them a chance to rob him. Wonderful! 

Edited by Andicis

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

hat a showman, would love AJ v Fury, it’s Great Britain that rules the heavyweight division (and Chisora or Whyte rather, in the wings too).

I think Whyte will get his chance next, Joshua will fight Usyk at Wembley after getting rid of Pulev. That means AJ vs Fury won't happen till 2021. It will be the fight of a generation and the biggest British sporting event since either 1966 or when the Scottish curling team had that bronze medal match, you decide.

Since the last fight, fury levelled up and stepped up a gear, wilder just stayed in the same lane hoping to get away with his right hand.

what a class performance fury pulled out tonight, not going to lie, worried when I seen how aggressive he was being and the lack of guard but in the end it was a masterclass. What a fighter. Knowing the dark place Fury came back from, he has to be one of the most inspirational sportsman in the world 

56 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I think Whyte will get his chance next, Joshua will fight Usyk at Wembley after getting rid of Pulev. That means AJ vs Fury won't happen till 2021. It will be the fight of a generation and the biggest British sporting event since either 1966 or when the Scottish curling team had that bronze medal match, you decide.

Tyson has said since the fight that if Wilder does not exercise his option for a 3rd fight, then Joshua is next up after which he'll retire. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51602618

It kind of makes sense really as with all due respect to Whyte, that fight would not be anything like the draw that Joshua and to a lesser extent Wilder offer. AJ has a compulsory defence against Pulev in June and assuming he negotiates that without mishap, an all UK unification bout would be next up. The only variable seems to be whether or not Wilder wants a 3rd pop which I personally hope he does not.