Sign in to follow this  
AmericanRam

Boxing Thread

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I bet people have been saying that since the beginning of time.

Same with football and Messi v Pele. 

But the athletes and sports science have advanced. 

I think Klitschko would be a massive problem for any heavyweight in history. 

Nostalgic fans would probably find more enjoyment in the Cruiserweight division. But when these guys step up to fight the big clumsy heavies they find them too big and strong.

Think Fury's return to the fold after his earlier issues has breathed life back into the division myself. I really thought he was done. I couldn't see any plausible way back for him if truth be told. Left me thinking that AJ would absolutely dominate the division but begrudgingly I have to admit that in WIlder, I saw only a guy who'd fought no one but he's proved me wrong too.

Usyk adds further spice to what now appears to be an incredibly competitive division. Is he durable enough to stand with the big lads? Not sure as yet but from a technical standpoint, he has more speed and better footwork than any of them. 2020 is going to be a huge year with some belting match-ups for sure, so this is another occasion where I'm pretty chuffed to have got it all wrong!

44 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Think Fury's return to the fold after his earlier issues has breathed life back into the division myself. I really thought he was done. I couldn't see any plausible way back for him if truth be told. Left me thinking that AJ would absolutely dominate the division but begrudgingly I have to admit that in WIlder, I saw only a guy who'd fought no one but he's proved me wrong too.

Usyk adds further spice to what now appears to be an incredibly competitive division. Is he durable enough to stand with the big lads? Not sure as yet but from a technical standpoint, he has more speed and better footwork than any of them. 2020 is going to be a huge year with some belting match-ups for sure, so this is another occasion where I'm pretty chuffed to have got it all wrong!

Think the division is the most exciting I remember. The styles are a brilliant mix. Like you said, Wilder would put Ruiz to sleep. Fury would batter him for 12 rounds and Ruiz would look a mess. For AJ he's a nightmare. Yet AJ would be a problem for Wilder because Wilder is vulnerable and AJ hits very hard. That could be a chaotic fight. Fury can beat all of them but doesn't plant his feet. So his defence has to be spot on. He's been dropped what? 3 times in his career? He's not perfect. And as you say Usyk is a perfect all round fighter at Cruiserweight but these guys are 3st heavier some of them. And 5-6 inches taller with the same again in reach.

Fascinating. With Hrgovic, Whyte, Hunter, Povetkin, Parker, Chisora, Gassiev, Ortiz, Bakole, Dubois, Takam and more all with an outside chance like Ruiz did to put themselves in there. 

Then if these Cruiserweight's step up to follow Hunter/Usyk... theres a bunch of talent there. 

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Think the division is the most exciting I remember. The styles are a brilliant mix. Like you said, Wilder would put Ruiz to sleep. Fury would batter him for 12 rounds and Ruiz would look a mess. For AJ he's a nightmare. Yet AJ would be a problem for Wilder because Wilder is vulnerable and AJ hits very hard. That could be a chaotic fight. Fury can beat all of them but doesn't plant his feet. So his defence has to be spot on. He's been dropped what? 3 times in his career? He's not perfect. And as you say Usyk is a perfect all round fighter at Cruiserweight but these guys are 3st heavier some of them. And 5-6 inches taller with the same again in reach.

Fascinating. With Hrgovic, Whyte, Hunter, Povetkin, Parker, Chisora, Gassiev, Ortiz, Bakole, Dubois, Takam and more all with an outside chance like Ruiz did to put themselves in there. 

Then if these Cruiserweight's step up to follow Hunter/Usyk... theres a bunch of talent there. 

Agree with all of that. On a side note, I admire Usyk a lot as I don't think he's a heavyweight who early doors could do sub 200lbs at a push, rather he seemed pretty comfortable at cruiserweight but ran out of meaningful challengers.   I didn't realise he'd dropped Ali Bashir but had noted some marked similarities to Loma, but have just read Loma senior is now training both of them. 

On the subject of trainers and training regimes, whatever that Ukrainian dance routine is, if I were a pro boxer I'd be getting me some of that! I only boxed at school and lost as many as I won, but I always preferred to fight a puncher than a technician. Bumps and bruises fade quickly but being made to look daft always hurt me far more and for far longer 🤣

Forgot about this thread. Good morning.

Safe to say that fight wasn't as thrilling as the previous, however credit to AJ for playing smart.

I reckon he'll beat Usyk, then go up against the winner of Fury v Wilder ( so Fury, obviously...) and then I think Fury will take his titles.

Is Jack Massey a Ram? Hails from Derbyshire.

Just fought for the Lonsdale belt live on Sky in a brilliant fight vs Richard Riakphore, where he was clearly on the end of some poor judging (the matchroom fighter wins!...)

Edited by SuperDerbySuperRams

3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Is Jack Massey a Ram? Hails from Derbyshire.

Just fought for the Lonsdale belt live on Sky in a brilliant fight vs Richard Riakphore, where he was clearly on the end of some poor judging (the matchroom fighter wins!...)

He lives in my town top lad, so unlucky tonight 

2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Referee bottled it for me, warned Riakphore on multiple occasions and didn’t take any points off, not to mention to “knockdown” via the forearm! 

Exactly, Hearns men always win, money talks, but on your previous question he’s not a Ram, don’t think he’s really into football 

Riakphore has been getting big exposure in the last 6 months. 

It's like Dubois on BT. He fought Richard Lartey and was struggling. He was in a complete shootout and looks vulnerable. But they couldn't wait to stop Lartey. 

Callum Smith the other week. 

I was surprised Fitzgerald was given a win over Anthony Fowler. 

It's crap when they are looking to give a fighter a win. You know they're setting them up for a fall. 

Look at Anthony Yarde. 

On 27/12/2019 at 17:24, Andicis said:
It's on, then. Come on Tyson, bring the belt back to the UK.

Can't wait. Such an intriguing match up, weirdly even more so after the first fight. If Tyson can avoid getting tagged then for me he wins comfortably but Wilder's always going to have a puncher's shot. I don't like the guy but I have to respect his power. We could see Tyson holding all the belts this year and when you think about his time in the wilderness, that would be as remarkable an achievement as any I've ever seen in the division. Legendary status awaits if he manages it. 

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Can't wait. Such an intriguing match up, weirdly even more so after the first fight. If Tyson can avoid getting tagged then for me he wins comfortably but Wilder's always going to have a puncher's shot. I don't like the guy but I have to respect his power. We could see Tyson holding all the belts this year and when you think about his time in the wilderness, that would be as remarkable an achievement as any I've ever seen in the division. Legendary status awaits if he manages it. 

Agreed with your summary of it. I think Fury is the much better boxer, but you can never rule Wilder out just because of the man's sheer power. I thought Fury won last time, so would love to see him out box him for 12 rounds again and win the belt. He deserves it. So excited for this fight though, with all the politics around boxing today we rarely get to see the best up against each other so it's something to get excited for every time it's possible.

Think Fury should back himself to KO Wilder. Be selective when he plants his feet but don't try and share a ring with Wilder for 12 rounds

Spending over half hour in that ring with a guy that just needs to land one punch to win while you have to be perfect? 

Don't do it. Not when Wilder has been wobbled multiple times by guys with a lot less ability than Tyson. He's a one trick pony. 

Be a nervous wreck watching this fight. But if Tyson goes in with a plan to stop Wilder I think he can. 

But knowing Fury he likes to box and will back himself to win a 100 rounds in a row. 

I just want someone to beat Wilder. He has hidden away in his little comfort zone for too long. Whilst everyone else with a belt/belts gets forced in to fighting mandatories he has been allowed to duck and dive his way to the record he has without fighting as many top ten contenders as the rest of the top level guys in the division.

I respect the power but I want to see Fury give him an absolute lesson over twelve rounds and clean sweep him on the cards.

4 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I just want someone to beat Wilder. He has hidden away in his little comfort zone for too long. Whilst everyone else with a belt/belts gets forced in to fighting mandatories he has been allowed to duck and dive his way to the record he has without fighting as many top ten contenders as the rest of the top level guys in the division.

I respect the power but I want to see Fury give him an absolute lesson over twelve rounds and clean sweep him on the cards.

How Wilder hasn't had to face Dillian Whyte is hilariously embarrassing for the WBC. Yet just like FIFA they seem to be too far up their own backside to care what fans think. 

I don't even think Whyte would win but how that man hasn't ever fought for a world title while Andy Ruiz, Breazeale, Stiverne and even Tyson Fury have fought in 2+ world title fights is outrageous. 

He has more than earned a shot. 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

I didn't see it but I watched Kell Brook and I can't imagine Brook v Khan being interesting to anyone outside Sheffield anymore. 

Not sure it’s that interesting to people in Sheffield.

Terri Harper put the rest of that bill to shame.

If you can watch the Dave Allen fight from earlier that night.

2 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Not sure it’s that interesting to people in Sheffield.

Terri Harper put the rest of that bill to shame.

If you can watch the Dave Allen fight from earlier that night.

Isn't it being investigated? 

I do quite like Dave Allen. I'll have a look. This is the fight he should have had instead of learning to swim by getting dumped in the ocean and trying to find the shore. 

He should target the British title now. Ignore higher levels. 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Isn't it being investigated? 

I do quite like Dave Allen. I'll have a look. This is the fight he should have had instead of learning to swim by getting dumped in the ocean and trying to find the shore. 

He should target the British title now. Ignore higher levels. 

Watching it live Allen seemed to do very little first 2 rounds then go up 4 gears in the third, at the end of R2 he shouts out to someone outside of the ring. Darch was talking as Allen was landing the final blows, couple that with the suspect betting action... It could all be coincidence of course but it doesn't look good.