Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

He should be a really popular fighter. His style is brilliant and for him to be not loved tells you all you need to know about the way him and the sheriff go about their business. 

Everyone Jnr fights instantly gains fans.  

Is that what the badge was about? I did wonder! He's become a sort of inane parody of himself now, like a spitting image puppet without the funnies. Watching him trying to hoover up some sort of vicarious glory from his son's career is utterly cringeworthy but then I'm not convinced that Jr's not a complete tube as well. It's reminds me of that seen from In Bruges.....

3 hours ago, 86 points said:

Is that what the badge was about? I did wonder! He's become a sort of inane parody of himself now, like a spitting image puppet without the funnies. Watching him trying to hoover up some sort of vicarious glory from his son's career is utterly cringeworthy but then I'm not convinced that Jr's not a complete tube as well. It's reminds me of that seen from In Bruges.....

Yeah, he's got a badge from the Louisiana PD. When asked what that means he says it's a license to protect the people by inspiring the would be criminals. He upholds the warriors code and remains gallantry and gallant and vigilante and if you don't know what that is them go to the dictionary and look up gallantry and gallant and honour and...

I mean ffs... only a therapist could listen to him for more than 10 mins. 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I mean ffs... only a therapist could listen to him for more than 10 mins.

Got as far as there are game parks in Africa so I'm clearly not cut out for a career as a mental health professional. His face has also somehow become even more punchable with age, though he'd obviously knock me out of my shoes if I tried, unfortunately.  Definitely secures my vote for the most irritating meat trumpet ever to pull on gloves. I'm almost feeling sorry for Jr again! 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Maybe in really small doses. A day in the company of senior would be agony.

Jnr slightly more likable. Especially away from his Dad 

But we are....   

Strike that.

Jr is......

ducking love it when he does that. Makes it appear he is using his words carefully, but not carefully enough in the first place.

Love the police badge. Master level troll. Hopefully.

Anyone been following the AJ v Miller build up?

I suspect Miller has part of his pay day riding on sales? It would make sense as it's not the fight anyone wanted and Hearn needs the spotlight back on AJ.

I think he's done really well here Miller. He's thrown everything at AJ. 

Unfortunately I don't think AJ is playing along and I hope Miller realises that because he's going to have to be his very best just to avoid getting destroyed. 

He's drawn out the AJ that Fury wants to fight. But he's a 22st punchbag. 

And he's basically made himself look a tool for $$$. Such a twit. 

I'll buy it now though. Hoping it's a short but sweet mop up job

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I suspect Miller has part of his pay day riding on sales? It would make sense as it's not the fight anyone wanted and Hearn needs the spotlight back on AJ.

Unfortunately I don't think AJ is playing along and I hope Miller realises that because he's going to have to be his very best just to avoid getting destroyed. 

And the news from the WBC is that Fury will not fight Wilder next.

But we have Joshua v Miller to look forward to lol.

Fury v Pulev is my guess. Wilder v nobody.

11 hours ago, Norman said:

And the news from the WBC is that Fury will not fight Wilder next.

But we have Joshua v Miller to look forward to lol.

Fury v Pulev is my guess. Wilder v nobody.

I remember in 2017 how all the talk from boxing was how big 2018 will be. We got Fury v Wilder in December and now it will be the end of the year before any of the top 3 get it on again at the earliest

Bloody alphabet committee have done it again - they know that they will make a bit more money if they hang the carrot for a while. Plus the WBC know that Fury will win the rematch and that risks them losing control of those American pay per views.

I guess it's been like this since Jack Johnson chased Tommy Burns all the way around the world for his shot but it just feels like we've totally lost the spirit of lineal champions.

Wilder should fight Whyte next, try and get him clattered early and use that as a message to his audience that he is better than AJ.

On 26/02/2019 at 23:11, Alpha said:

He accused AJ of juicing (testosterone boosters) in the first head to head which was incidentally muted by sky. What I will say is that if Aj is doing it then they all will be at it. Not that it would be a bad thing though because it makes for more interesting viewing for spectators. Although miller was suspended for taking a banned substance before for 9 months so it is most likely sour grapes. I must admit I prefer this Aj instead of the groomed PC version, which isn’t his real persona

5 hours ago, McLovin said:

He accused AJ of juicing (testosterone boosters) in the first head to head which was incidentally muted by sky. What I will say is that if Aj is doing it then they all will be at it. Not that it would be a bad thing though because it makes for more interesting viewing for spectators. Although miller was suspended for taking a banned substance before for 9 months so it is most likely sour grapes. I must admit I prefer this Aj instead of the groomed PC version, which isn’t his real persona

I think Joshua is enrolled in a couple of testing thingys. He's just a monster in the gym. He's worth too much money to allow him to be on anything banned. 

I think Miller thinks it's part of the game but this is the Joshua that knocked out Whyte and refused to make peace. He won't shake his hand after this. They'll be no respect. Miller is well out his depth here. But he's getting well payed so maybe he don't care. 

Miller walked out of the American version of The Gloves are off. Rumour was that AJ had quite a crew in London the other day to greet Miller. 

I think the beef from Miller is to sell the fight but I'm tuning in because the beef from Joshua is real and tbh after hearing Fat Baby mock the UK a bit I wouldn't mind seeing him asleep for 10 seconds on 1st June. 

Other good HW fights on the horizon though. Chisora v Parker (should be a decent freebie) and Usyk vs Povetkin. Be good for the division if Usyk and Parker win. Especially Usyk. If he can cope with HW then he could shake things right up with his ability. His achievements in his last 4 or 5 fights in such a short space of time are something else. Hard fights on foreign soil and constantly in camp. 

Edited by Alpha

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/02/2019 at 15:11, Chester40 said:

Carl Froch on Talksport asked for his 'tribute' to James De Gale .. " yehhhh, he's been..a decent pro....".

Damning by faint praise at its very best. 

The only boxer Froch talks up is Carl Froch. Proper warrior in the ring, massive ******* out of it. His soundbites make me literally cringe.

On 28/02/2019 at 23:56, Alpha said:

Other good HW fights on the horizon though. Chisora v Parker (should be a decent freebie) and Usyk vs Povetkin. Be good for the division if Usyk and Parker win. Especially Usyk.

For some reason I've typically always wanted to mark down Usyk - maybe I didn't see him as a genuine HW prospect but he's shown me up in no uncertain terms and is now the real potential 'disruptor' in the division. Like you, I'll happily pay to see Miller go sleepy nite-nites but please God, will someone just spark that tool Wilder? He's someone that if you met them you'd be wanting to punch them on the throat inside 10 seconds, even if you knew your lights would be going out about a second and a half later! 

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 15:11, Chester40 said:

Carl Froch on Talksport asked for his 'tribute' to James De Gale .. " yehhhh, he's been..a decent pro....".

Damning by faint praise at its very best. 

Always made me laugh how he was obsessed with Calzaghe.  Not good enough to wipe the sweat of his sack .  That fight would have been over in 3 rounds .

15 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Always made me laugh how he was obsessed with Calzaghe.  Not good enough to wipe the sweat of his sack .  That fight would have been over in 3 rounds .

Get where you're coming from but knobber that Froch is, he was a champion in his own right after all. Had some wars and never ducked a fight as I recall so I respect that at least. A good metric would be Mikkel Kessler who had great bouts with both.

Agree though that Calzaghe was different gravy though I'm not sure he would have stopped Froch - schooled him yes, banged him out, not so sure. What's irrefutable is that Joe will always be held in the utmost esteem and affection of British fight fans whereas Froch, perhaps a tad unfairly, will not. Getting all misty-eyed over Joe now! Might go catch the Eubank fight before bed!

8 hours ago, 86 points said:

Get where you're coming from but knobber that Froch is, he was a champion in his own right after all. Had some wars and never ducked a fight as I recall so I respect that at least. A good metric would be Mikkel Kessler who had great bouts with both.

Agree though that Calzaghe was different gravy though I'm not sure he would have stopped Froch - schooled him yes, banged him out, not so sure. What's irrefutable is that Joe will always be held in the utmost esteem and affection of British fight fans whereas Froch, perhaps a tad unfairly, will not. Getting all misty-eyed over Joe now! Might go catch the Eubank fight before bed!

Jeff Lacy.  Almost perfection

On 24/03/2019 at 10:52, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Jeff Lacy.  Almost perfection

Are you referring to Calzaghe's performance against Lacy mate? Actually had a look at some of my favourite JC fights the other other night. Your man Lacy, Kessler, Eubank and Hopkins are those that stand out in my mind. It slightly changed my thinking about Joe as over time, I'd developed a memory of him that despite my belief that he's an all-time great, did not really do him justice. Not sure how or why!

To explain - in my hazy memory, I'd built this image of Joe as a very technical boxer, super slippery and but not really having a knockout punch. A skilled pugilist if you like, but not a warrior as such, not that he needed to be necessarily. Having watched some of the above again, it made me recall that far from being elusive by default, Joe was also quite happy to stand in front of just about anyone. It's not that I'd ever doubted his courage as such, it's just funny how my memory of a fighter I really admired, was so far removed from the real fighter. The Kessler and Eubank fights are absolute wars, classic contests where in both cases, neither man was prepared to take a step back. The Eubank fight was kind of a changing of the guard and whilst I respected Eubank, he never really did it for me and for some stupid reason, I think I bore a grudge after the Watson fight. Silly really. Anyway, having watched Joe vs Eubank again, I have to say I've a deal more respect for Eubank than I did before, as a boxer at least. As a human, though, he still irritates the piss out of me ?

Another thing I'd forgotten (and I guess the two are linked) is that Joe was put on the canvas a good few more times than I remembered. In fact, pretty much the only thing I thought I remembered and proved accurate enough was the crazy myriad of angles from which Calzaghe could throw (and land!) punches. Strange really given how big a fanboy of his I was!

Anyway, thanks for bringing him up. I kind of forget these guys over time so it was a bit of a treat going back over Joe's videos the other night. Only problem was I didn't get to sleep for about over 4 hours as I'd watch a bit of one fight, then immediately remember another worth watching! Think I watched the bulk of 4-5 bouts back to back with only late night sandwich breaks between. GF was not best pleased with me ?

Edited by 86 points

19 hours ago, 86 points said:

Are you referring to Calzaghe's performance against Lacy mate? Actually had a look at some of my favourite JC fights the other other night. Your man Lacy, Kessler, Eubank and Hopkins are those that stand out in my mind. It slightly changed my thinking about Joe as over time, I'd developed a memory of him that despite my belief that he's an all-time great, did not really do him justice. Not sure how or why!

To explain - in my hazy memory, I'd built this image of Joe as a very technical boxer, super slippery and but not really having a knockout punch. A skilled pugilist if you like, but not a warrior as such, not that he needed to be necessarily. Having watched some of the above again, it made me recall that far from being elusive by default, Joe was also quite happy to stand in front of just about anyone. It's not that I'd ever doubted his courage as such, it's just funny how my memory of a fighter I really admired, was so far removed from the real fighter. The Kessler and Eubank fights are absolute wars, classic contests where in both cases, neither man was prepared to take a step back. The Eubank fight was kind of a changing of the guard and whilst I respected Eubank, he never really did it for me and for some stupid reason, I think I bore a grudge after the Watson fight. Silly really. Anyway, having watched Joe vs Eubank again, I have to say I've a deal more respect for Eubank than I did before, as a boxer at least. As a human, though, he still irritates the piss out of me ?

Another thing I'd forgotten (and I guess the two are linked) is that Joe was put on the canvas a good few more times than I remembered. In fact, pretty much the only thing I thought I remembered and proved accurate enough was the crazy myriad of angles from which Calzaghe could throw (and land!) punches. Strange really given how big a fanboy of his I was!

Anyway, thanks for bringing him up. I kind of forget these guys over time so it was a bit of a treat going back over Joe's videos the other night. Only problem was I didn't get to sleep for about over 4 hours as I'd watch a bit of one fight, then immediately remember another worth watching! Think I watched the bulk of 4-5 bouts back to back with only late night sandwich breaks between. GF was not best pleased with me ?

Yes,  as I recall the odds were heavily stacked for a Lacy win.  America was certain he was going to win .  Always remember Don Kings reaction after the Lacy fight.  'calzaghe took Jeff out of Kindergarten into school tonight. '  Hopkin's wasn't the best fight .  Seem to recall it involved Hopkins basically hugging a lot and not a deal else after the first round .  Glad you enjoyed watching though .  There was a Calzaghe career documentary released a few years ago. Well worth a watch . 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yes,  as I recall the odds were heavily stacked for a Lacy win.  America was certain he was going to win .  Always remember Don Kings reaction after the Lacy fight.  'calzaghe took Jeff out of Kindergarten into school tonight. '  Hopkin's wasn't the best fight .  Seem to recall it involved Hopkins basically hugging a lot and not a deal else after the first round .  Glad you enjoyed watching though .  There was a Calzaghe career documentary released a few years ago. Well worth a watch . 

Will have a peep - cheers.