Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Just now, Alpha said:

Hasn't it always been that way though? What era could a 6ft 6 fighter drop down to fight the best light heavyweights and Cruiserweights. 

The lowest weights have always had the most competition haven't they? I mean even the great Ali was 16+ st. Imagine him trying to strip down to clean up at light heavy or even cruiser. 

They're too big. 

I wasn’t suggesting heavyweights should drop down in weight. In some cases, like Fury, it would be impossible.

My gripe is at heavyweight, there generally tends to be a dearth of top talent and I think this particular era isn’t really a good one.

I don’t actually think AJ is that good of a fighter. He has great knockout power, but as Fury said, they all should at that weight.

I wouldn’t put him as a top 10 pound for pound in the world. But for some reason, he is the biggest name in boxing and earns the most. But why? Is Hearn that good of a promoter? Or what is it about heavyweights that attract more casuals than welterweights?

I can’t believe AJ makes like £20 million a fight for beating up the likes of Martin, Takam and a 39-year-old Povetkin. I’m not an AJ hater or anything, I just think he’s absolutely milking it for the talent that he has.

Far better pound for pound boxers are making 1/10 of what AJ earns for taking on far more difficult and skilled opponents.

1 hour ago, Dale The Ram said:

Joe Calzaghe

Brilliant to watch and seems a great guy. Very underrated imo.

Always loved boxing although I don't see as much now as it's a bit spread out over so many channels .  Also too many titles means too many poor champion's . 

Best I've seen is Calzaghe in my thirty five years of watching .  His only problem was under motivation against run of the mill opponents which meant America largely ignored him till he beat Kessler and took apart their champion elect in Jeff Lacy.  Always wished he'd taken on Carl Froch as it would have been a three round walkover. Always remember him giving Froch the most hilarious put down when he retired '  his missus would give me more of a fight - she must hate me, he probably has pictures of me in the bedroom and talks about me in his sleep '.

McGuigan was very good but made the mistake of taking on Steve Cruz in daytime heat in Las Vegas and never really recovered.  Heavyweight boxing nowadays is just a joke.  I don't bother at all.

Always worth looking at old footage of Jack Dempsey as well.  Makes Mike Tyson look like a pussycat .  Probably the most naturally aggressive fighter ever -  Apparantly he learned to fight as a homeless 12 year old stopping other drifters stealing his blankets in box cars and fighting off unwanted advances.  Then moved on to fighting local bare knuckle champions around America as part of a carnival when he was fifteen.  Suppose someone under Queensbury rules with gloves on doesn't faze you much after that .

Think the heavies are popular purely because there's always a chance of it kicking off.

Take Luke Campbell on Saturday night vs Yvan Mandy. That's a good match up. But it's not going to keep the casual viewers interest when Luke Campbell is extremely unlikely to even hurt Mendy never mind KO him. People want blood. Casual viewers don't tune in to watch 12 rounds and a points decision. 

AJ interests everyone because he's Olympic gold medallist who delivers knockouts. A few scrappy points wins and they'll trail off

Just now, StockholmRam said:

Cracking left that was...not that dull. 

That was bizarre. It looked innoucous, like a reflex punch which just knocked Groves' senses. Right on the temple. One of the weirdest KO punches I've ever seen. It wasn't even a planned counter like he put his weight into it.

Great victory for Smith, but I thought Groves was winning up until that point.

Not sure where either fighter goes from here. There aren't many options out there at 168. I bet Eubank Jr would fancy his chances against Smith, just through punch output. 

Smith didn't really use his reach in terms of jabs. Some nice straight rights, and then that left hook. Seemed he rarely went to the body either, though I could be wrong.

Would James DeGale fancy a unification with Smith? Not sure how big that fight would be now.

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

That was bizarre. It looked innoucous, like a reflex punch which just knocked Groves' senses. Right on the temple. One of the weirdest KO punches I've ever seen. It wasn't even a planned counter like he put his weight into it.

Great victory for Smith, but I thought Groves was winning up until that point.

Thats the thing I love about boxing Bris... I agree, couldnt see anyone but Groves winning and then BAM..out of nowhere. Astonishing. 

44 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Johnny Nelson thinks Fielding will win?! Nah!! 

Ha ha. It appears it’s a parody account

many people fell for it, believing it’s the real Johnny but it’s wouldnt surprise me if he thinks that Fielding is the favourite with his predictions in the past.

Edited by McLovin