Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Strangely, he seemed to take Wilder a bit lightly in terms of his style. Fight two he had excellent tactics, kept his head moving, moved in and out and won the fight with his brain. The last fight he won with brawn and after the seventh just seemed to believe he could walk through anything. Risky strategy, it worked, but some boxer to try it against.

What I find amazing about Fury is that he just has some super super human ability to clear his head as soon as he hits the canvas. If you saw the way he reacted to getting decked on Saturday he just blew a couple of times and got up, just like in the first fight. Hey, ping this one back at me if it happens, but I can't see a heavyweight out there who could knock Fury out.

5 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Strangely, he seemed to take Wilder a bit lightly in terms of his style. Fight two he had excellent tactics, kept his head moving, moved in and out and won the fight with his brain. The last fight he won with brawn and after the seventh just seemed to believe he could walk through anything. Risky strategy, it worked, but some boxer to try it against.

What I find amazing about Fury is that he just has some super super human ability to clear his head as soon as he hits the canvas. If you saw the way he reacted to getting decked on Saturday he just blew a couple of times and got up, just like in the first fight. Hey, ping this one back at me if it happens, but I can't see a heavyweight out there who could knock Fury out.

TBF - the only person who has got close to knocking out Tyson Fury is Tyson Fury

Just watched IFL interview with Malik Scott. Pretty class act. 

Still think Deontay might be the biggest diva in the game. Still think if he showed more respect he might get the credit he deserves instead of people loving him getting battered. 

The things some people are saying about him are not fair at all. He's still a safe bet against vast majority of heavyweights out there that aren't good enough to get to him before he gets them. 

One trick pony but that's like a striker that scores 30 tap ins per season. It's a good fecking trick. 

Despite his ego I hope he fights on. I'd watch him.

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Despite his ego I hope he fights on. I'd watch him.

He'll fight on for as long as people are prepared to watch him. And we'd all watch him against AJ, Whyte, Usyk or even the likes of Joyce - and he'd likely win three out of four of those contests.

Earnie Shavers, Archie Moore, Ken Norton, Tommy Morrison, Ezzard Charles, Cleveland Williams, Del Boy, Jimmy Ellis, Joe Bugner - there is more than one heavyweight that carried on entertaining long after the chance of them being champion of the world passed them by. Some of them too long, I admit, but still.

9 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

He'll fight on for as long as people are prepared to watch him. And we'd all watch him against AJ, Whyte, Usyk or even the likes of Joyce - and he'd likely win three out of four of those contests.

Earnie Shavers, Archie Moore, Ken Norton, Tommy Morrison, Ezzard Charles, Cleveland Williams, Del Boy, Jimmy Ellis, Joe Bugner - there is more than one heavyweight that carried on entertaining long after the chance of them being champion of the world passed them by. Some of them too long, I admit, but still.

I really hope so because he definitely has a place in huge fights. 

I kind of understand why he was so angry about the towel being thrown in now. It's his right to want to be put to sleep to lose a fight. All the other excuses were embarrassing but he possibly proved why he had reason to be angry with Mark Breland. 

AJ v Wilder, Whyte v Wilder, Fury v Usyk, Fury v AJ, Fury v Whyte, AJ v Whyte II, Wilder v Usyk... the multi fight possibilities without including any other current or future top 10 fighter is very exciting. Even without titles. And the money is there for them all. 

After a couple of decades of criticism of Heavyweight boxing, this must surely have potential to be the next "good old days"

Its like what buncey said, if wilder had gone up to fury while he was doing his interview after the fight and shook his hand, saying to the crowd the better man won, what a fight etc etc, people would have given him a massive cheer and he would have gained a lot of fans! Its a shame!

9 hours ago, Alpha said:

kind of understand why he was so angry about the towel being thrown in now. It's his right to want to be put to sleep to lose a fight. All

Yeah i respect he wants to go out on his shield as he says, and with a puncher like him, hes always got that chance of landing and winning even if hes out on his feet!

15 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Its like what buncey said, if wilder had gone up to fury while he was doing his interview after the fight and shook his hand, saying to the crowd the better man won, what a fight etc etc, people would have given him a massive cheer and he would have gained a lot of fans! Its a shame!

Definitely. Even thinking the guy is a moron I still want to see him comeback. If he'd shown some respect and humility then I feel that it would change my opinion of him completely 

He just comes across as totally disrespectful, bitter and deluded. Which is cool but he just won't get the praise he deserves. 

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

AJ v Wilder, Whyte v Wilder, Fury v Usyk, Fury v AJ, Fury v Whyte, AJ v Whyte II, Wilder v Usyk... the multi fight possibilities without including any other current or future top 10 fighter is very exciting. Even without titles. And the money is there for them all. 

After a couple of decades of criticism of Heavyweight boxing, this must surely have potential to be the next "good old days"

Good theory, till the men in suits put up Zhilei Zhang or Agit Kabayel up as mandatories. I hope you're right.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:43, BaaLocks said:

Spot on. Referred to this in my first post after the fight. Making a point maybe? You's lot think he has a puncher's shot do you?!?

13 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Good theory, till the men in suits put up Zhilei Zhang or Agit Kabayel up as mandatories. I hope you're right.

Oh yeah it will 100% get ruined. I don't think we'll see Wilder take risky fights until his last payday. That's if he even continues

If AJ loses I think he'll lose the Fury fight possibly forever. 

If Whyte loses to Wallin then the time scale will work out all wrong and Fury won't fight any of these names next year. 

If Usyk loses I expect he'd go away for 2 or 3 fights vs the likes of Ruiz/Parker and then come back for AJ. And AJ's time scale won't match Fury until at the earliest the end of next year. 

No reason for AJ and Whyte to fight without titles. Too much to lose with little to gain. 

The only fights next year will realistically be Whyte v Fury and AJ v Usyk II with the slightest chance of the winners fighting each other in Nov/Dec 2022. 

I don't know the mandatory calls for the IBF, WBA, WBO. But they'll step in and insist some defence to make an undisputed fight impossible. 

I don't think we'll see an undisputed. 

On 10/10/2021 at 19:32, Red_Dawn said:

Was so chuffed for Fury, don't think I've ever wanted someone to win as badly as I did in this fight. 

Guy is an inspiration. A role model for everyone, but particularly for working class men and those struggling with mental health problems........

The guys life is such an amazing story.

Have you seen this one, little old but him and Frank clearly have time for each other. Fury has a lot of respect for Frank, you can sense it in his tone, see it in his face how he smiles when Frank says something funny, more seriously the twin tales of mental health issues resonate with each other.

Giants being humble with each other.

11 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Savannah Marshall, take a bow girl. That was some performance.

"Blink and you'll miss it" is the phrase. 

I went to the toilet, made a drink and came back to see it finished. I thought it might last a bit longer. 

Mikey Garcia lost last night to a Sandor Martin. 

Sandor Martin.... 40 fights, beats Mikey Garcia and I've never heard of him until last week. 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

I went to the toilet, made a drink and came back to see it finished. I thought it might last a bit longer. 

Sandor Martin.... 40 fights, beats Mikey Garcia and I've never heard of him until last week. 

Fight's up on YouTube bud. Worth a look. Marshall is really quite fierce!

As for Garcia, 1/20 with the bookies ? 

As for Martin, I'd never heard of him either. Weird one!

43 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Fight's up on YouTube bud. Worth a look. Marshall is really quite fierce!

As for Garcia, 1/20 with the bookies ? 

As for Martin, I'd never heard of him either. Weird one!

Sky quick at uploading that! 

'Sup with them? Since when do Sky Sports do anything nice 

Eubank Jnr looked poor imo. I'm not a hater of him and more feel upset that he would never achieve his potential with his Dad over his shoulder. 

But he looked worse than ever last night. I know the other geezer was only there to survive but Jnr lacked all the things I thought made him look promising.

A lost fighter. Disappointing really. Felt with the right people around him he could have done something. Now it looks like he picked a trainer not suited to his natural qualities 

Almost think he was better off surrounded by his Dad's yes men

Edited by Alpha

So in 2018 Eubank put in a decent effort against world level George Groves. Didn't look in any danger of winning a boxing match but still strong enough and hard working enough to ruffle feathers

Then he goes against an experienced but finished DeGale 1 year later and the win was so easy I think its safe to say Jnr is operating at world level even if he's shy of the best guys

At this point you're thinking maybe against Billy Joe Saunders he could maybe get a win with his workrate and aggression. With a solid chin and a nasty uppercut he's in with a chance. 

Cut forward to 2021 and he's fought nobody anywhere near a world title and he's looking like he's learning a whole new style. 

He's in his 30's. 

Now he's talking about fighting Liam Williams. 

What's next? Regional championships? What a waste.

2 or 3 years to get the tools to beat BJS and I don't think he'd win more than 3 or 4 rounds

Edited by Alpha

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Mikey Garcia is a brilliant boxer but I believe anything above 140lbs and it's too much for him. He started out at 126lbs, it's a huge jump to go up to compete at 145lbs+. 

His natural weight where he was comfortable was at 136lbs. His boxing ability meant he could jump to 140lbs and still be the best. 147 is too big of a bridge to gap unless you're a freak like Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather.

Unfortunately, anything under welterweight and the money fights just aren't there.

I hope Josh Taylor doesn't suffer the same fate.

Edited by Bris Vegas