Boxing Thread

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Wasn't meant to happen was it? It was meant to be a name on his record of a guy that's big enough to boost your rep but old enough to get dragged around the ring by a young bull

These old ones aren't always ready to bow out when the going gets tough

Ask Povetkin.

I think this was another of those fights that was seen as a foregone conclusion but as you pointed out, the old warrior hadn't read the script. Kelly is young and perhaps there's still a big career ahead for him, but he needs to understand that trying to box like Prince Naseem only makes sense you you have BOTH his speed and his power. I'm far from convinced Kelly has either. He needs to focus on the basics for me and try to be the best version of himself he can be, not a facsimile of someone else.

As for Avanesyan, he's earned himself another decent pot somewhere in the future and I have to say his after-fight presser was absolutely joyous. Try watching this without smiling 😆

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I think this was another of those fights that was seen as a foregone conclusion but as you pointed out, the old warrior hadn't read the script. Kelly is young and perhaps there's still a big career ahead for him, but he needs to understand that trying to box like Prince Naseem only makes sense you you have BOTH his speed and his power. I'm far from convinced Kelly has either. He needs to focus on the basics for me and try to be the best version of himself he can be, not a facsimile of someone else.

As for Avanesyan, he's earned himself another decent pot somewhere in the future and I have to say his after-fight presser was absolutely joyous. Try watching this without smiling 😆

Haha! 

I wanted Kelly to win but can't deny watching somebody come in to play a role and them tearing up the script is quite satisfying. 

I completely agree about Kelly too. Might have to knuckle down and earn those world titles rather than expect them to land in his lap. Some fighters out there aren't going to be easily frustrated about chasing shadows. They're experienced enough to battle through and wait for an opportunity. 

This is what makes me laugh about Povetkin. He's always seen as some hard nut that's not serious about winning world titles and has had his day in the sun. How many times does he have to prove he's there to win and has as much heart as any young lion. 

If Whyte doesn't fight the best fight of his career he will get done again imo

If we see the Saunders who fought Lemieux turn up against Canelo he's got the best chance of pretty much anyone, and I include GGG in that, of beating him. When he's on it his style is unorthodox and he is pretty near impossible to tag. Of course, other times Billie Joe has stunk the room out so you never know what you're going to get.

That said, I still don't think he will - just that he has the potential to make a better fist of it than those who came before. It would have to be on points - I'm not sure there's a boxer outside the heavyweights who could knock Alvarez out, he has got one granite chin.