Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He also hasn't lost to an appalling out of shape boxer who most reasonable amateurs would have gone 10 rounds with.

Yeah, no. Andy Ruiz is a good fighter. He doesn't look like he would be, but he has fast hands and in the first fight was bang up for it and caught AJ off guard. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think this may be a reasonably easy 6/7 round fight for him if it's in the next five months. 

In what way? Joshua has enough power that Fury can never relax, but unlike Wilder he can actually box. The strategy Fury deployed in the last fight won't give him an advantage vs Joshua. I can see arguments for Fury winning, but to claim it'd be reasonably easy is a joke, IMO. It'll be Fury's toughest fight of his career.

I do find it amazing the disparity of scrutiny and judgement of both fighters to be honest, AJ fights a top guy every fight now when Fury took two soft touches after Wilder first time around. Went life and death with Wallin.

But I am sure he'll pull out some story about how he was driving in his Ferrari, wanted to drive it in to wall to kill himself and had to stop himself. Very relatable I must say. I also don't believe gays are a bad as paedophiles. He's done well to turn public perception round from where he was, AJ is the boxer that people love to hate now. I see a lot of people seem to hate him for saying support black businesses which I find quite revealing.

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He also hasn't lost to an appalling out of shape boxer who most reasonable amateurs would have gone 10 rounds with.

That is incredibly wrong about Ruiz. Ruiz is a fantastic fighter with unbelievable punch speed and great power. The only problem he has is his motivation which causes his weight issues. If you have someone motivated Ruiz, he could be a real problem for everyone in heavyweight.

For the second fight, Ruiz had already had his money from the first (which is levels above anything he would've ever had), so he ate loads of Snickers and lived the life, whereas AJ wanted to avenge, there was only going to be one winner in that.

Ruiz is a top fighter and was a top amateur, this kind of talk like Ruiz was no good and it shows how poor AJ is so casual. Saying most reasonable amatuers would go 10 with a motivated Ruiz is crazy. He was unlucky not to get the nod over Parker in his first title fight, he's now with Eddy Reynoso training out the same gym as his friend Canelo Alvarez...

9 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

I do find it amazing the disparity of scrutiny and judgement of both fighters to be honest, AJ fights a top guy every fight now when Fury took two soft touches after Wilder first time around. Went life and death with Wallin.

But I am sure he'll pull out some story about how he was driving in his Ferrari, wanted to drive it in to wall to kill himself and had to stop himself. Very relatable I must say. I also don't believe gays are a bad as paedophiles. He's done well to turn public perception round from where he was, AJ is the boxer that people love to hate now. I see a lot of people seem to hate him for saying support black businesses which I find quite revealing.

Doesn't he suffer from Bi-polar .  People with Bi-polar do and say very strange things and will have a totally different opinion the following day. The fact you don't think someone with Bi-polar may decide to drive into a wall because they have an expensive car could also be classed as revealing I suppose.

17 hours ago, Andicis said:

Yeah, no. Andy Ruiz is a good fighter. He doesn't look like he would be, but he has fast hands and in the first fight was bang up for it and caught AJ off guard. 

In what way? Joshua has enough power that Fury can never relax, but unlike Wilder he can actually box. The strategy Fury deployed in the last fight won't give him an advantage vs Joshua. I can see arguments for Fury winning, but to claim it'd be reasonably easy is a joke, IMO. It'll be Fury's toughest fight of his career.

Guess the proof will be in the pudding.  For me Fury is stronger, technically better and more durable to a punch . Fitness could be an issue depending the mood he's in a few months before.  If he's on it i'll stick with the 6/7 rounds.

First fight in Saudi in May, they'll need the site fees to make it viable, it'll probably be a draw.

Meet again in early December, probably in the Middle East again, or maybe the Millennium Stadium if conditions allow, another close fight to set it up nicely for an English stadium trilogy fight Summer 2022.

By which time, PPV will probably be closer to £50 than £30.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Doesn't he suffer from Bi-polar .  People with Bi-polar do and say very strange things and will have a totally different opinion the following day. The fact you don't think someone with Bi-polar may decide to drive into a wall because they have an expensive car could also be classed as revealing I suppose.

Bi-polar? Better add that to the list I guess, next time I see him out in a super car i'll feel sorry for him in the comfort that he never meant anything he said and is very much a relatable peoples champ. I don't even dislike Fury I just get sick of the BS and double standards.

2 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Bi-polar? Better add that to the list I guess, next time I see him out in a super car i'll feel sorry for him in the comfort that he never meant anything he said and is very much a relatable peoples champ. I don't even dislike Fury I just get sick of the BS and double standards.

Yes Bi-polar.  I knew someone who told me they were terminally ill.  Two days later they had no recollection. You clearly dislike him a great deal.  That's up to you but no point being wishy washy and pretending otherwise. Whether he meant what he said I have no idea. Perhaps someones asked him in the meantime. As he put on about 10 stone in a year and was saying all manner of poo it's safe to assume he was going through an episode of undiagnosed bi-polar at the time regardless  

40 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yes Bi-polar.  I knew someone who told me they were terminally ill.  Two days later they had no recollection. You clearly dislike him a great deal.  That's up to you but no point being wishy washy and pretending otherwise. Whether he meant what he said I have no idea. Perhaps someones asked him in the meantime. As he put on about 10 stone in a year and was saying all manner of poo it's safe to assume he was going through an episode of undiagnosed bi-polar at the time regardless  

He said stuff long before all that. My point about double standards between him and AJ still stands. Nothing I say here will have any sway on your opinion I can tell.

29 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

He said stuff long before all that. My point about double standards between him and AJ still stands. Nothing I say here will have any sway on your opinion I can tell.

No. Sorry.  To be honest.  Fury said some awful things in the past.  He may mean them, he may not. He's suffered with this for a long time  Frank Bruno also suffers with bi-polar and  had a court order taken out by his wife for harassment, put on  loads of weight and wound up living with a right load of unsavoury blokes till he got help.  The British public still love the bloke.  Nigel Benn was another who people loved despite a very dubious lifestyle and many unsavoury comments.  Chris Eubank didn't say boo to a goose  was detested far more than 'jack the lad' Benn because he wore jodhpurs and played the villain. I Don't think there's any double standard unless you're purposefully looking for one.  But there you go.

I agree both fighters are judged differently but I don't think it needs levelling by hammering Tyson Fury

See the messages AJ sent Eddie Chambers? 

People feck up. Say stupid stuff. All of us

In my eyes it's two great champions and two good guys. Very different but both inspiring and both men will be in their hardest fights so far. 

It's interesting to read these comments. I'm not really sure I agree that they are judged differently though because while Tyson may be due a little more flak than he gets based on some silly comments, AJ is seen as wholesome and is actually a pretty bad lad lad with a proper nasty streak. He's a deal more media savvy than Tyson in that regard! 

Personally I don't concern myself with these things. A lot of boxers start off in the sport as a means to avoid going down darker paths and to expend energy in a healthier way than might be the case, as did I. With many coming from less privileged backgrounds, again I'm always reticent to judge them too swiftly.

A last thought is setting aside debates around character, it's great that the fight is throwing up opposing opinions as to the outcome. It's a tough one to call and that's ideal for us fight fans. My call is AJ to edge an absolute belter on a great night for UK fight fans. 

I think Canelo by ko. I think Smith is slightly overrated. He's a solid boxer with a big physical advantage. I don't think that size will be a problem to Canelo at all and he's going to throw so many more shots and variety of shots to win on points if it goes that far. He also has a steel jaw

I have seen a lot of people say "People are writing Smith off but...". I've seen more people say that than actually write Smith off

But they're basing it on Smith being better than people think. Which he is. But he's facing a fighter that's a legend. Being good isn't enough. It will be easy for Canelo imo because Canelo is in his prime and is great. 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

I think Canelo by ko. I think Smith is slightly overrated. He's a solid boxer with a big physical advantage. I don't think that size will be a problem to Canelo at all and he's going to throw so many more shots and variety of shots to win on points if it goes that far. He also has a steel jaw

I have seen a lot of people say "People are writing Smith off but...". I've seen more people say that than actually write Smith off

But they're basing it on Smith being better than people think. Which he is. But he's facing a fighter that's a legend. Being good isn't enough. It will be easy for Canelo imo because Canelo is in his prime and is great. 

Tend to agree, Canelo in 8 for me. 

I heard it was free to view at 4am, but not sure which channel it is on. 

5 live has it on radio I think. 

12 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Measuring the fight by the time its on and I'll probably catch this on YouTube or something tomorrow. 

I think it will be pretty much one way traffic. 

18 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

It's on the Dazn app, £1.99 for first timers. 

It would be tempting if not for the fight time.

Easy win for Canelo. Smith never got in the fight. 

Canelo won't lose to anybody for a few years. He can pick and choose his fights now and of the weights he operates in there's nobody that can beat him. GGG the biggest threat but he had 24 rounds to KO Canelo. He's a legend in his prime. Anyone seen him look hurt or wobbled?