Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

8 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm sure after the fight he was like "didn't bring it, no excuses" now, looks like excuses.

Yeah he just said he'd had injuries in camp etc. Just stuff that's probably true because I imagine Fury had little niggles etc. I bet most fighters pick up injuries

But if he wants to tell himself that he lost because of a bad camp then that's understandable. He brought what he could and got beat. 

But blaming referees, suits and the towel being thrown in.... those are "excuses" 

5 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I see its being reported Wilder has triggered the rematch clause. 

I understand why he's done it, but how depressing for the majority of fans.

Been there, done that. At the moment I cant think of anything less inspiring than another round of pre fight hype, the same pre fight analysis and invariably the same result. It was beginning to get a bit overkill in the run up to last Saturday. 

There's also a risk Fury might be a bit bored for fight 3 as well. 

Indeed, if by chance he manages to catch Fury with his best shot, we'll have 3 more years of him ducking AJ for the unification.  All this time most folk assumed it was Hearn asking for too greater split in AJ's favour as to why it never happened, whereas now it's more likely Wilder's people were steering clear of a better fighter...

He's a professional strength-based athlete who walked from his locker room to the ring wearing an outfit that combined for about half the weight of the average army kit (as an example) and his "legs were gone" by the time he got there?

I'm not sure he's realised how much more weak that excuse makes him look than losing the fight did.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He's a professional strength-based athlete who walked from his locker room to the ring wearing an outfit that combined for about half the weight of the average army kit (as an example) and his "legs were gone" by the time he got there?

I'm not sure he's realised how much more weak that excuse makes him look than losing the fight did.

did you not see how scrawny his chicken-like legs were?

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

did you not see how scrawny his chicken-like legs were?

I didn't watch I'll have to check ? 

But unless they're actual baby legs his excuse still makes no sense. I could carry 40lbs that distance without feeling too rough afterwards; and actually carry it too, not have it draped across my body to spread the load. I'm a gamer, the antonym of an athlete.

All the chat, excuses and hype is irrelevant, Fury was incredible. Right up there with the finest heavyweight clashes in recent years...for me, the Fury and AJ vs Klitschko bouts were the only fights I've enjoyed more.

Joshua vs Fury should be amazing. I'm hoping for a trio of fights over the next two years, between two of the all time greats.

I think AJ learned a lot from the Ruiz defeat, and clearly has power and technique. I think Fury is the more streetwise fighter though, nasty, horrible, for 12 lots of three minutes. Who wins? duck knows. Can't wait to find out.

Watched it again. 3rd time. 

Love the little things Fury does. Even when he throws a punch he's thought about the counter punch. Watch when Wilder counter punches and look how Fury has already rolled it or got his shoulder to glance it away. He punches and rolls a defence. Helps being massive that you can hide behind your shoulders. Don't think many if any could do that to Fury. 

Edited by Alpha

Anyone see the Hearn interview with IFL? Sound like the convos he's had with Fury's team everyone has a good idea of any terms if they could make the fight. Said they were working on a 60/40 split negotiating the fight the first time before Fury got the ESPN 10 fight deal.

Lets face it, AJ vs Fury will be the biggest fight in Britain ever and maybe in the world, the build up and media coverage would be unprecedented. If these promoters have any sense they'll make this fight and raise the profile of the sport. I saw a piece with Max Kellerman where he said Fury can say no to the rematch? I don't think that is the case.

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Anyone see the Hearn interview with IFL? Sound like the convos he's had with Fury's team everyone has a good idea of any terms if they could make the fight. Said they were working on a 60/40 split negotiating the fight the first time before Fury got the ESPN 10 fight deal.

Lets face it, AJ vs Fury will be the biggest fight in Britain ever and maybe in the world, the build up and media coverage would be unprecedented. If these promoters have any sense they'll make this fight and raise the profile of the sport. I saw a piece with Max Kellerman where he said Fury can say no to the rematch? I don't think that is the case.

Even if they agree terms on a potential rematch, if it's a an absolute war, would either of them want it? Both are already set for life after all and that's before the biggest payday ever. The promoters can argue for best of 5, then rock, scissor, stone if they like but if the fighters aren't up for it then the contracts aren't worth diddly. My hunch, assuming they do meet is that Fury will win and retire on the spot. I know I would!

Edited by 86 Schmokes & a Pancake

4 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

From what I've seen Fury would have to buy Wilder out of his rematch. Dunno how they would value the rematch. 

I reckon Eddie was pretty much saying it will be 50/50. AJ is a bigger star but we offered 60/40 before Fury' profile sky rocketed? Sounds like 50/50 talk. 

Whatever 50% is it will be huuuuuuuge payday

Call me cynical, but if Wilder doesn't force an immediate rematch, I could see Tyson having a further summer fight in Vegas, possibly against Ruiz.

Ruiz would be fighting his third consecutive bout for a world title, marketed as a shot at redemption, which always piques American interest, plus they seem to have bought into Fury big time. It would sell enough stateside to make it financially rewarding enough for the little risk involved.

Joshua will take his mandatory fight at Spurs new ground, sell the stadium out and plenty of PPV buys to swell the coffers, taking into account AJ's bigger share of the purse it's possibly not much less earned than a unification fight anyway, again for less risk.

Both win, stage set for a winter bout, can't hold it in England it's too cold, but these nice Saudi chaps have offered to guarantee its the highest grossing single night of sport in history!

Edited by reverendo de duivel

30 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Both win, stage set for a winter bout, can't hold it in England it's too cold, but these nice Saudi chaps have offered to guarantee its the highest grossing single night of sport in history!

Yep, seen this mooted but really, please god, no! It'd be about the only way they could remove some of the gleam from what would be the most anticipated fight since the rumble in the jungle. Two UK heavyweights, all the belts, one UK location. That'd be perfect. The Saudis can bloody well make do with the rematch! 

7 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yep, seen this mooted but really, please god, no! It'd be about the only way they could remove some of the gleam from what would be the most anticipated fight since the rumble in the jungle. Two UK heavyweights, all the belts, one UK location. That'd be perfect. The Saudis can bloody well make do with the rematch! 

If only a visionary Englishman saw fit to convert his Soccer ground, then covered and heated it to host a 40k audience for the fight of the Millennium as his opening act?

Season ticket holders get priority, obviously.

43 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

If only a visionary Englishman saw fit to convert his Soccer ground, then covered and heated it to host a 40k audience for the fight of the Millennium as his opening act?

Season ticket holders get priority, obviously.

Ha! Had exactly the same thought ? 

I don't think we will see Fury v Joshua in the UK. 

The big money is made in the US or Saudi. 

Both Hearn and Warren in the past have said that the numbers dont stack up for really big fights compared to the US. 

Now that Fury has a decent presence and promoter in America it would make sense for a Vegas hotel to make a big bid knowing there would be 20 - 30k Brits making the trip and spending their money. 

If it's Saudi, then Warren and Hearn deserve a kicking. 

4 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Call me cynical, but if Wilder doesn't force an immediate rematch, I could see Tyson having a further summer fight in Vegas, possibly against Ruiz.

Ruiz would be fighting his third consecutive bout for a world title, marketed as a shot at redemption, which always piques American interest, plus they seem to have bought into Fury big time. It would sell enough stateside to make it financially rewarding enough for the little risk involved.

Joshua will take his mandatory fight at Spurs new ground, sell the stadium out and plenty of PPV buys to swell the coffers, taking into account AJ's bigger share of the purse it's possibly not much less earned than a unification fight anyway, again for less risk.

That would be a good call but I think Ruiz is deep in negotiations with Luis Ortiz. Great fight that.

Dillian Whyte gets a shot in February so if it isn't this year then it won't be until mid-late 2021 for AJ v Fury. 

I hope they don't leave it that long because it only takes a slip up and the fight is lost. 

AJ lost to Ruiz and Fury made such a mess in the Wallin fight. 

The only way they fight in the UK is because of the fighters. I think, hope, that both fighters will be so well paid for this that they just want to scrap it at home for legacy. There will 100% be at least 2 fights if we get the first one so they could go off and get another huge payday. 

Hearn and Warren take this abroad and they'll get major grief at home!