Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

So Wilder really is a one trick pony then. Can't handle being under pressure and can't box his way out of trouble. Having left Whyte without his mandatory shot for 800 days let's see how quickly Fury is forced to take on mandatories now their golden goose over in the states has dropped the belt.

Delighted for Fury, I hope him and AJ get the mega payday they deserve in the unification fight.

3 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

he wasn't fit to start the 6th imo

He wasn't. He was ruined in the 5th and couldn't put up a fight. Fell across the ring onto the ropes and then needed them to hold himself up for the rest of the round. If he wasn't who he was then that fight gets stopped by a referee in the 5th. 

Having re-watched it Wilder needs to boot he numpties in his corner. Their corner work towards the end of the fight was amateurish at best. Just put ice on him, did bugger all else and told him to keep going. 

The guy was out of it and they were incapable of either helping or protecting him. Just sent him out there for another minute to get more of a beating before finally making a decision.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So Wilder really is a one trick pony then. Can't handle being under pressure and can't box his way out of trouble. Having left Whyte without his mandatory shot for 800 days let's see how quickly Fury is forced to take on mandatories now their golden goose over in the states has dropped the belt.

Delighted for Fury, I hope him and AJ get the mega payday they deserve in the unification fight.

I reckon Fury will have their pants down in negotiations. When he signed with Arum and targeted Wilder he obviously wanted to freeze AJ out and come back with negotiating power

But so many things dropped nicely for him. Ruiz beating AJ, getting dropped by Wilder and coming back from it in a fight that defined his comeback from depression, getting a rematch with Wilder, beating Wilder up... it couldn't have gone any better.

I bet he planned a points win over Wilder last year, slap the likes of Wallin and Schwarz about. Gain some popularity in the states and negotiate an fight from America

Now he doesn't need America. People have invested in his journey and his dominance over Wilder in 2 fights puts him as the favourite against Joshua. 

Hearn should make sure he treats Tyson at least equal. If he doesn't then I'm sure Tyson will take on Whyte or continue to sell himself in America further increasing his claims to be the main man. 

Fury v Joshua. Undisputed. Wembley. It will be the greatest sporting event!!! I'd only hope the best man wins with a fair result and the fight is so epic we get it twice at least. 

5 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Having re-watched it Wilder needs to boot he numpties in his corner. Their corner work towards the end of the fight was amateurish at best. Just put ice on him, did bugger all else and told him to keep going. 

The guy was out of it and they were incapable of either helping or protecting him. Just sent him out there for another minute to get more of a beating before finally making a decision.

It was weird wasn't it? As he staggered back time after time they just patched him up and sent him back out. 

Too much faith in his power? 

I thought someone might suggest he go into the corners for balance and just load up for one punch. Much like Hughie Fury did v Joseph Parker. 

Just use the corner for support, stick the jab out and if Fury tries to push then unload. Doubtful that it would have changed the result but he just kept his gameplan from the opening bell. 

Extraordinary. No one could go into the ring with Fury in that mindset and stand a chance.

And it's a great thing to have a heavyweight champion who's a personality too. Entering the ring to Patsy Cline's Crazy should scare any opponent! Loved American Pie straight after the victory.

When Mike Tyson was at the height of his powers he was a frightening person to get in the ring with. When Fury started licking the blood off Wilder it was exactly the same. This is a boxer out of a Quentin Tarantino movie. An unbeatable brute a man.

When AJ lost to the fat bloke I remember Fury saying "AJ's problem is he doesn't want to be hit" or something like that. He's not born to box in the way Tyson Fury was born to box, named after Iron Mike.  It's a shame Fury will probably retire soon but he will have a lot of money and there's surely no one in his league when he's fit and firing?

53 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Having re-watched it Wilder needs to boot he numpties in his corner.

It looks like he has a bunch of yes men in his corner and that is the reason he refuses to change things. Fury has changed trainers more than once and continues to learn new stuff and improve, Wilder has had so much success with his team, he feels that they are doing a good job when in reality, it's his power that has done all the work and his technique is lacking.

34 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It was weird wasn't it? As he staggered back time after time they just patched him up and sent him back out.

Shocking. As I said earlier, no plan a let alone a plan b. Turn up, go through the motions, collect paycheck and go home. They weren't even try trying to encourage the lad. I genuinely felt sorry for him which is something I never thought I'd say.

You'd think that with his natural power, a decent trainer could make something of the lad but the only variation from telegraphed right hand haymakers seemed to be pat-a-cake jabs to Tyson's midriff which I'm pretty certain Tyson barely noticed. Were they hideously over-confident, inept or both? 

6 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Shocking. As I said earlier, no plan a let alone a plan b. Turn up, go through the motions, collect paycheck and go home. They weren't even try trying to encourage the lad. I genuinely felt sorry for him which is something I never thought I'd say.

You'd think that with his natural power, a decent trainer could make something of the lad but the only variation from telegraphed right hand haymakers seemed to be pat-a-cake jabs to Tyson's midriff which I'm pretty certain Tyson barely noticed. Were they hideously over-confident, inept or both? 

Was desperate to see him humbled but now he's taken his L and his belts gone I hope he comes back into the mix later on. 

He plays a character at times and I don't think he's too bright but when you punch like that then he should be selling tickets

If he was from the UK he'd have a huge fanbase. 

The performance from Fury was monstrous and although he couldn't match the skill or handle the strength he matched the determination. He has shown his grit in the past. 

Hope he bounces back because Wilder v Whyte/Joshua/Parker/Usyk are all huge fights. Plenty left in the game for Wilder. Not sure it he could ever add much to his game but he needs a new team if all they do is tell him to punch someone really hard. 

Still, can say every man he has ever faced has tasted the canvas.

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Was desperate to see him humbled but now he's taken his L and his belts gone I hope he comes back into the mix later on. 

Yeah, I have to say the source of my dislike for him came from him going on about wanting a body on his record etc. It is clear now that he was acting and he's a fairly sound guy, so whilst I still wanted his lack of ability shown up, I don't hate him like I did.

44 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yeah, I have to say the source of my dislike for him came from him going on about wanting a body on his record etc. It is clear now that he was acting and he's a fairly sound guy, so whilst I still wanted his lack of ability shown up, I don't hate him like I did.

Nah me neither. Don't think I'll ever be a fan but he took his medicine. 

44 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Nah me neither. Don't think I'll ever be a fan but he took his medicine. 

36 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I found the divisive nature and undertone of Wilder’s ring entrance both tasteless and uncomfortable. 

Where did he come up with the whole black vs white thing? 

It's when he says stuff like that and backs it up with the ringwalk that you just find him hard to support. 

I know he's playing his role. I know he's trying to sell himself and trying to identify himself with a fanbase but he just doesn't know when to shut up sometimes. 

The black power fist gesture? Hmm. Smells like attention seeking.

7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This is great. You'll laugh when you hear his old voice.

It's his hair that makes me laugh. I remember his voice changing. He got hit in the throat in sparring and for a while it was even worse than it is now. But he looks like a member of East 17 back then. 

Pretty boy Fury!! ?

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Too much faith in his power? 

I thought someone might suggest he go into the corners for balance and just load up for one punch. Much like Hughie Fury did v Joseph Parker. 

Just use the corner for support, stick the jab out and if Fury tries to push then unload. Doubtful that it would have changed the result but he just kept his gameplan from the opening bell. 

If you watch his corner man explaining to him why they called off the fight straight after it's comical. The old guy just points at his ear and smiles apologetically with a "please don't shout at me" look on his face. I do think Wilder should have been given the chance to fight till he went down, though it's hard to argue against the stoppage I guess as Wilder was never going to knock Fury out so was only really going to take more punishment. Wilder's defence was weird as well, he had one arm over his chest like he was protecting his ribs. Whatever the reason, he just ended up like someone who absolutely didn't want to be there.