Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

He desperately needed to avoid anymore knockdowns after the first. I thought he won every round but 2 as well but with 2 (10-8) rounds then they only have to find 3 close rounds to give Wilder. 

Think it was round 3 or 4 that was close. Maybe they gave one of those? 

Tyson put himself back at the top level with that performance anyway. Shows he's still got it. Nice to see him throw some power punches too. 

Hopefully he's learned enough to figure out Wilder completely for the rematch. 

That guy is there for the taking. He has got a bit of a vulnerable chin, he's not a particularly good boxer. He's just got the fear factor and range. 

Fury can do this knobber! Get that belt and shut him up, the weirdo. 

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Absolutely shocking decision. Tyson won that and it wasn't close. Fixed for the rematch.

It's Showtimes heavyweight hope. They have no heavies that are going to make them a penny. Wilder is the last man standing in America. They won't let him lose easily. 

The old gentleman's club of American promoters have had their hold over boxing loosened a bit now. The WSS has been and still is a success. Hearn and his DZN American deal is a concern for them. 

I think one of the channels dropped boxing. Maybe HBO? 

They can't lose the last world title. 

They thought a rusty Fury who's never been a KO artist would be a good name to have on Wilder's CV. Nearly backfired. 

Lol!

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

It's Showtimes heavyweight hope. They have no heavies that are going to make them a penny. Wilder is the last man standing in America. They won't let him lose easily. 

The old gentleman's club of American promoters have had their hold over boxing loosened a bit now. The WSS has been and still is a success. Hearn and his DZN American deal is a concern for them. 

I think one of the channels dropped boxing. Maybe HBO? 

They can't lose the last world title. 

They thought a rusty Fury who's never been a KO artist would be a good name to have on Wilder's CV. Nearly backfired. 

Lol!

I listened to Talksport from 10 - 12 last night. They had Stephen Espinoza live talking about Wilder and the rumours regarding Wilder joining Eddie Hearn after last nights bout. 

Espinoza rubbished Hearn and his DZN deal. He said that Hearn talks about a big name signing joining DZN every month, but the American boxing press and boxing officianados are sick of his empty promises. 

Steve Bunce said something similar last month when he was talking about a shift in how the Americans are going to watch boxing in the future. Hearn came in all guns blazing promising major signings and promotions but theres been nothing to grab the Americans attention yet. 

Espinoza spoke about a bout with AJ. He said the immediate problem is the Wembley date in the diary in April that AJ has booked. The money in the US for pay per view would dwarf a sell out Wembley, so it made no sense to sell themselves short. 

As for the fight last night, I didnt see it but listened to 5 live. Costello / Andy Lee and a mexican trainer were doing the co comms and all had Tyson winning at the end. 

After 5 rounds they all proclaimed a 5 round advantage for Fury but they started to say that a fair amount of American journalists had Wilder ahead at that point. 

33 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I listened to Talksport from 10 - 12 last night. They had Stephen Espinoza live talking about Wilder and the rumours regarding Wilder joining Eddie Hearn after last nights bout. 

Espinoza rubbished Hearn and his DZN deal. He said that Hearn talks about a big name signing joining DZN every month, but the American boxing press and boxing officianados are sick of his empty promises. 

Steve Bunce said something similar last month when he was talking about a shift in how the Americans are going to watch boxing in the future. Hearn came in all guns blazing promising major signings and promotions but theres been nothing to grab the Americans attention yet. 

Espinoza spoke about a bout with AJ. He said the immediate problem is the Wembley date in the diary in April that AJ has booked. The money in the US for pay per view would dwarf a sell out Wembley, so it made no sense to sell themselves short. 

As for the fight last night, I didnt see it but listened to 5 live. Costello / Andy Lee and a mexican trainer were doing the co comms and all had Tyson winning at the end. 

After 5 rounds they all proclaimed a 5 round advantage for Fury but they started to say that a fair amount of American journalists had Wilder ahead at that point. 

I do wonder what's really going on and going to happen with the American market. Hearn has signed some big names and they have Canelo v Fielding don't they on PPV? But no huge stars fully signed up. 

I dunno, boxing promoters are all car salesman aren't they. The broadcasters, the promoters... they use so many dirty tactics it's no wonder people get fed up of the sport.  

Do you trust any of the Americans more than Hearn?

This DZN deal is shrouded in mystery too. Hearn has long defended PPV boxing. Always said it's the only way to generate the money for big fights. The USA clearly works as they charge like $100 per fight don't they? BT and ITV are in on it. Then he goes to DZN and you can now have it all for £10 per month or something?  

Is he pulling the rug from under them? 

The whole AJ v Wilder thing has been a farce. Both fighters want it, both fighters are getting mocked for not having it while all these promoters plot and scheme to boost the interest, build names and avoid their man getting beat. It's so boring.

What I will say is that the winner would hold all the cards. So why doesn't one of them take the plunge and do what Fury did. Go into the enemies backyard and chase glory.

Fury and has done everything to make sure when that AJ v Fury fight comes that he's got a strong negotiating position. He just needs that WBC belt. 

Wilder v AJ. Wilder fighting in the UK v Whyte,  AJ fighting on DZN vs Miller. It's all to fill promoters pockets. 

Whatever the pull of America, Wilder seems to be desperate though. Why fight Ortiz and Fury? Why agree to go to Russia to fight Povetkin? I really don't understand the politics.

But a draw last night conveniently boosts the profile of both men, makes a few more quid and leaves Joshua hanging. Tyson winning would have been a big blow.

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The whole AJ v Wilder thing has been a farce. Both fighters want it, both fighters are getting mocked for not having it while all these promoters plot and scheme to boost the interest, build names and avoid their man getting beat. It's so boring.

They compared it to Mayweather v Pacquiao where the 2 of them met in a hotel, decided they wanted to fight each other and told their promoters to make the deal.

AJ and Wilder should do the same. I get the feeling £ is Wilders driver though, probobly because his promoter is prodding him. 

2 hours ago, Gap tooth ram said:

Great fight.  I had Fury by 4. How he got up in the 12th is beyond me.  I'm not a religious man but if that's what faith does for you, I might have me a bit of that!

I can only imagine his legs were jelly, his arms ached, his fists were sore, breathing heavy... his body telling him to stay down but somewhere he must have felt like if he could finish the round then he's WBC heavyweight Champion of the World. 

No way does he get up from that unless he knew he was seconds from a massive win. 

Watched it at lunchtime with 3 pals.  

I had listened live on the radio and we had all read the press reports.

Got to be honest.....we all thought a draw was fair.  If anything Fury with two knockdowns, on enemy territory as rhe challenger without belts, was fortunate. 

We thought Fury was going to be to robbed having dictated every round but I was pleasantly surprised about the result.  Lots of shadow boxing.  Wilder wildly throwing bombs, Fury ducking and diving with the odd solid jab to the face or slap to the side of the head thrown in as he slipped away. Feet often weren't planted and Wilder took pretty much every punch without consequence. First knock down was nothing but second was pretty brutal.

All agreed draw was good result and they can go again. 

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Question for everyone;

Who wins a rematch and why? 

Both got reasons to worry and be massively confident.

Fury for me. He looks to be getting better every single fight since his comeback, I reckon a few more months of training and he's fit enough to take Wilder in the next fight.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Fury for me. He looks to be getting better every single fight since his comeback, I reckon a few more months of training and he's fit enough to take Wilder in the next fight.

Be interesting to know if the knockdowns will make him cautious. He's felt Wilder's power now and knows it's enough to drop him.

Although trying to get in Fury's head is an impossible mission.

Let's just hope he has the rematch and doesn't wonder off like @Norman says. No magic powder! He's a troubled fella. 

36 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Question for everyone;

Who wins a rematch and why? 

Both got reasons to worry and be massively confident.

Like the pundits said afterwards, Fury only gets better and at 33 I don't think Wilder can change enough.  The only way Wilder wins is if Fury get over confident. Despite the gulf in class, that right hand is an equaliser.

The best thing about this fight is it proves Fury is back as a serious and credible contender

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Be interesting to know if the knockdowns will make him cautious. He's felt Wilder's power now and knows it's enough to drop him.

Although trying to get in Fury's head is an impossible mission.

Let's just hope he has the rematch and doesn't wonder off like @Norman says. No magic powder! He's a troubled fella. 

If Tyson didn't have a bum and a dosser ? as his only fights after a bit of a lay off, a lot of beer and high class cocaine, then would he have been caught in the 12th?

I don't think so. The first knock down was a slap on the back of the head too. 

I also don't think he will lose it this time. 

He has a purpose. You seen the interview where he looks down the camera and adresses peoole who have mental illness. Bloke's on a mission for now.

He's too intelligent for his own good. Surrounded mainly by morons. Not so much now. Which helps.

Last time he won the belts, had 1 stripped straight away, had a poxy presser at the Macron Stadium, got kicked oit of SPOTY, didn't get the recognition his performancr deserved etc.

Now he has it all. If he behaves himself  he can complete a boxing story that wil be hard to beat. A title in May, a showdown with Joshua in December, SPOTY 2019, mental health crusader. 

Who'd have thought that when watching his Instagram this time last year when they had to force him in a car to get him to the South of Spain? I've watched the whole come back and doubted him the whole way. Not any more.