Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Had Canelo by 2 rounds on my card. GGG did well to turn the fight but I thought the last round he didn't do enough and missed a lot. You could swing it either way really narrow, to scream robbery is just bias IMO. The amount of excitement whenever GGG threw a punch and they way people bayed for blood whenever Canelo got hit seems to have clouded peoples judgement.

AJ card looks a bit poor compared to previous shows. 

I don't like Lawrence Okolie. A grade A tit. 

David Price isn't the prettiest boxer to watch. 

I don't think any other fight has been given a second mention. 

I think AJ will get rid of Povetkin quite easily. Not because Povetkin is a 'bum' but just because he's giving away too much to Joshua. Age, weight, height, reach, speed, venue! 

11 minutes ago, froggg said:

What time is A J on ?

9.50 ringwalk.

Okolie stunk the place out ??. Good! Can't stand the bloke. Keep over reaching like that and he's getting ko'd soon. 

Price should have tried to see the fight out imo. Yeah further injury may have put him out for 12 months but that defeat will put him out of these big night undercards for 12 months.  

Good fight from AJ there.

Now we need Wilder to beat Fury, and agree to fight Joshua in England in April, for the perfect match-up. Much prefer the big stadium atmosphere to the american arenas.

5 minutes ago, froggg said:

Would have loved to have watched it live, just waiting for it to pop up on YouTube ?

Talksport is dreadful compared to 5live.

Really hard to tell how the fight was going, and behind my lads stream to boot.

After going past the first four rounds there was only one winner. Povetkin threw some nice combos in the first two rounds, but you could tell he was tiring by round five and he just threw launching hooks by then which AJ anticipated fairly easily.

Credit Povetkin for doing what he could in those initial rounds, but it's quite worrying that a 39-year-old is ranked third in the world and is mandatory to a world title. A real derth of top heavyweight fighters at world level.

Don't want to take anything away from AJ, but he's milking it. He's making a fortune off the back of relatively easy fights against substandard opponents. 

Even Wilder and Fury don't look much cop. Vitali and Vlad in their prime ruled the lot easily, and AJ could do the same.

WOn't be a popular opinion but that was pretty underwhelming for me. Povetkin giving away 11 years and at a massive reach disadvantage was always going to get tagged at some point. He looked like he was blowing as early as 5 rounds in and from then on it was only a matter of time. AJ carries massive power, that's indisputable, but I'm not sure what else at this point. Perhaps I'm being overly critical but I don't see any of the heavyweight division as having great technical skills and I'm not hugely excited about an AJ vs WIlder or Fury match up either. To give Joshua credit, he can only beat what's in front of him but big lads aren't offering much from a entertainment perspective right now, to my eye at least. 

Seeing a few haters over social media as usual when Joshua fights. And he still marches on. 

Still some people think you can't support AJ and Fury. You can. 

Took AJ 4 rounds to figure Povetkin out though. Great effort from Povetkin. 

It's odd. Price is far stiffer than AJ but he caught Povetkin a few times as Povetkin went under and over with a hook. He caught the top of his head because Povetkin leaves himself open when he hooks. 

Joshua never really got that success. But it was further proof he's got a good chin and as soon as Povetkin slowed down he took him out perfectly. 

Seen one idiot say that if AJ had been in with a world class fighter tonight he'd have lost. What? Like Povetkin? Wlad? Parker? 

AJ and Wilder have both nearly messed up here. Povetkin nearly spoiled their fight and Tyson still might. Terrible that this fight wasn't made. It'll be Whyte in April.

I think past heavyweight eras are overrated. I'm not saying AJ is beating Mike Tyson or Lewis or Ali!! It's just not an argument that should exist. 

It seems every era people say the HW division is weak. Every era. 

You wouldn't argue about 70's Derby vs 90's Man United. 

The HW division has always looked like it's got crap fighters purely because they don't always carry the best physique and they drop like sacks of turd. 

People said the same when Lewis ruled the world. And then again under the Klitschko's. Now you look back on them as legends and remember epic fights. What about the human punchbags they all fought. It took them 40+ fights to prove themselves as legends 

I think the HW division has everything right now. Miller, Whyte, Parker, Fury x2, AJ, Chagaev, Dauhapas, Wilder, Molina, Hammer, Brown, Charr, Takam, Chisora, Pulev, Usyk (soon), Haye, Wlad, Povetkin...

So many different styles and sizes that have paired off in the last couple of years. Not all in their prime but what era was any different?

Edited by Alpha