Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

There was a telling moment in the first fight where Canelo landed an enormous overhand right. The same one punch knocked Khan out, yet GGG barely flinched. You saw in that moment Canelo was out of ideas.

Canelo’s neck and head was massive last time due to the drugs. You could see clearly the transformation from a year before. Such a cheat and he probably did it in order to give himself a better chance of taking GGG’s power.

I wonder how he feels this time around. Assuming he’s off the drugs, mentally he will feel a lot different.

I actually think Canelo deserves a lot of respect for taking the rematch. He got out of jail with a draw in the first one, and that was while on PEDs.

This time around, hopefully clean, it’s going to be even tougher and you can imagine GGG will be even more fired up than ever. I can see him retiring after if he wins. His legacy will be done, and from the two fights financially he will be set.

I can’t call it though. Judges are corrupt and you know they’ll be biased towards Canelo. I will probably go for a controversial Canelo points win, but I hope GGG smashes the cheat.

On the point of drugs, I am going to give Canelo the benefit of the doubt. I'm not giving him excuses - and he should have people paid to sort this stuff out - but clenbuterol tainted meat is a big problem in Mexico. Doesn't make it right but that's where I sit.

I think Canelo started to suss GGG out as the fight went on, he had this rather strange tactic of stepping to one side and standing sideways every time he came forward. I think the year will be massive, especially to Golovkin.

Ultimately, I think we're in the same place - heart says GGG but head says Canelo probably will nick it this time.

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

On the point of drugs, I am going to give Canelo the benefit of the doubt. I'm not giving him excuses - and he should have people paid to sort this stuff out - but clenbuterol tainted meat is a big problem in Mexico. Doesn't make it right but that's where I sit.

I think Canelo started to suss GGG out as the fight went on, he had this rather strange tactic of stepping to one side and standing sideways every time he came forward. I think the year will be massive, especially to Golovkin.

Ultimately, I think we're in the same place - heart says GGG but head says Canelo probably will nick it this time.

If you look at the size of Canelo for his fight agaibst Khan compared to GGG it’s obvious he was on PEDs. His head and neck suddenly became massive.

And let’s not forget, Canelo failed two drug tests. Not just one.

The tainted meat arguement makes little sense. In training, when Canelo is looking to shave pounds, why would you eat red meat from Mexico?

I actually thought Canelo was winning the first fight. GGG then won practically all the middle and late rounds. He started way too tentative, and Canelo’s quick movement and accurate counter-punching allowed him to steal them early on. Then it looked like he gassed, realised he couldn’t hurt GGG and surrended to the ropes. It was only in the last two rounds he came out again as he probably knew he was down on the scorecards.

I think GGG made the mistake of not working the body so much in the first. If he presses earlier this fight, works the body too, assuming Canelo is clean he can be stopped. I hope so.

People saying Canelo looks a lot leaner this time as to have more speed and stamina...

Good one. He looks a lot leaner as he’s off the PEDs.

Canelo won’t have the power as last time, or perhaps the durability in terms of receiving punches, but he could be quicker and lighter on his feet. Looks like he’s intent on a counterpunching points win Mayweather-esque.

His behavior at the weigh-in was an attempt to get in GGG’s head. I don’t think it worked. He came across as a big douche and probably lost some fans over it.

GGG is an impecable professional. So hope he wins. Don’t care about my Mexican bias. I’m firmly in the GGG camp.

I'm in the GGG camp too but I do love watching Canelo. He's usually class in the build up and in the ring he's a veteran with youthful energy. Great fighter and it's a shame that he has now and forever been linked with cheating.

See if GGG executes the "Ginger Snap". Apparently they plan to fold Canelo up with some body shots. 

You know GGG will get to work early looking for the body shots asap. If he slows him down as early as round 6/7 then he is still going to have to land some incredible shots to drop Canelo. He has to be careful not to lose the first 6 rounds trying to catch him. I think Canelo had all the skills to avoid a KO. So it's interesting to see who can win the early rounds. You'd expect GGG to take over by the end. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I'm in the GGG camp too but I do love watching Canelo. He's usually class in the build up and in the ring he's a veteran with youthful energy. Great fighter and it's a shame that he has now and forever been linked with cheating.

See if GGG executes the "Ginger Snap". Apparently they plan to fold Canelo up with some body shots. 

You know GGG will get to work early looking for the body shots asap. If he slows him down as early as round 6/7 then he is still going to have to land some incredible shots to drop Canelo. He has to be careful not to lose the first 6 rounds trying to catch him. I think Canelo had all the skills to avoid a KO. So it's interesting to see who can win the early rounds. You'd expect GGG to take over by the end. 

I used to be a big fan of Canelo, and I was hoping he’d be the guy to beat Mayweather. Truth is, that fight came way too soon for him, and it kind of shaped him as a fighter. He suddenly worked loads on movement.

But it was the Erislandy Lara fight which changed my opinion of him. He lost that fight, yet the judges gave him it because he was deemed the new goldon boy of boxing.

He bought into too. Going around saying he is now the biggest name in the sport, and judges have since been so biased.

He was 100% losing the Amir Khan fight up until the KO, yet all three judges had him ahead. The Cotto fight previously was 50-50 but Canelo won it wide...

The Chavez Jr fight was terrible.

The 118-110 vs GGG. And later the drugs.

I still think Canelo is a terrific fighter, and he’s generally an exciting one too. 

But he’s become a business, and he’s bought into his own hype. Justice needs to be done tonight, but I fear for the scorecards.

I’m 99% sure it’ll go the distance.

Compubox again favours GGG. More punches thrown, more punches connected and he did far more damage. Canelo hit him with a nice left in about round four and that was it. From round 7 onwards it was all one-way traffic.

The only way you can give it to Canelo is to lure GGG into a trilogy.

GGG won the first fight, and he won tonight. Give him that win and there is no need to fight Canelo again.

But this just has corruption written all over it. Nobody, not one of the live text boxing websites give Canelo a win. Most give it 116-112 GGG, and that's how I scored it too.

Why have a third fight? GGG isn't going to be given the win unless he KOs him, and to Canelo's credit he's too good of a fighter with a solid enough chin to avoid a knockout.

Further stats before I go to bed.

GGG outpunched Canelo 8 rounds to 3, with the other being a draw. Yet Canelo got the win for being more aggressive. More aggressive means walking forward and taking more shots than you dish out?

Over the two fights, GGG outpunched Canelo in 18 of 24 rounds. Incredible how he doesn't have a W.

The two judges who scored 115-113 Canelo gave the final round 10-9 to Canelo. That just shows you how ridiculous it was.

So Canelo won for controlling the fight. For holding the center of the ring? What other basis can it be on? It must be that for the first 9 rounds he looked comfortable while GGG seemed to be probing? 

The last few rounds, fair play to Canelo and his chin, he lost control. He actually had a good round at the end but he wasn't controlling the fight. GGG was in control. 

That's the only way I thought Canelo could be seen to have won it. Just with the illusion that taking the center of the ring against GGG is dominating him. Yeah it's unusual but at the end of the day his punches aren't worth more because of where he's stood!! 

Great fight and I think Canelo is great to watch. He's got a spectacular left hook. 

GGG... age is going to catch up with him soon and I feel if he hasn't got a deserved win from either of the first 2 fights then he won't get one in the 3rd. The camps are going to take more out of him than Canelo. 

I think he expected Canelo to be defensive and was hoping to work the body on the ropes. Never got chance. 

6 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I get most of your points and I wanted GGG to win, but Alvarez did win the last round.

Should have been more specific. By that time the judges had scored it 6 rounds to 5 for Canelo.

That’s just so wrong. Inhad Golovkin winning 7 of the first 11.

What exactly did Canelo do to win? They say he won because he was the aggressor and stood in the middle of the ring. If that’s the case, why didn’t GGG winnthe first fight by a wide decision when he had Canelo on the ropes for 10 rounds.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Should have been more specific. By that time the judges had scored it 6 rounds to 5 for Canelo.

That’s just so wrong. Inhad Golovkin winning 7 of the first 11.

What exactly did Canelo do to win? They say he won because he was the aggressor and stood in the middle of the ring. If that’s the case, why didn’t GGG winnthe first fight by a wide decision when he had Canelo on the ropes for 10 rounds.

Another reason I've heard is because although GGG landed more punches that Canelo landed more meaningful shots.

Which is odd because I remember 1 point where Canelo was clipped and was desperately but brilliantly trying to survive an onslaught. He was caught heavy just as much as GGG if not more.

But that's what I read from some American pundit. 

42 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Another reason I've heard is because although GGG landed more punches that Canelo landed more meaningful shots.

Which is odd because I remember 1 point where Canelo was clipped and was desperately but brilliantly trying to survive an onslaught. He was caught heavy just as much as GGG if not more.

But that's what I read from some American pundit. 

Canelo landed only one meaningful shot in the entire fight. A cracking left I think in like the fourth round. He landed better shots in the first fight. The noises coming out contradict themselves.

GGG landed far better shots. The uppercut that caused the cut, the straight right which ballooned Canelo's cheek and as you say that onslaught in the 10th I think it was which left Canelo's hands dropped and just bobbing.

As a fluent Spanish speaker, I was carefully listening to what Canelo's corner was saying and they looked beaten. By round 11 they were saying don't do that again, as he (GGG) will knock you out. Heading into the 12th they were saying you must win the last round.

Max Kellerman was a disgrace after the fight too. He was bigging Canelo up like he dominated the fight.. It just looked rigged with all the green, white and red fireworks going off and smoke inside the arena. You'd only put that there if they were confident of a win. All Canelo had to do was survive and he'd get the win.

They've royally screwed GGG over. He only had to make one more title defence to claim the record.

Anywhere outside of Vegas (or a strong Mexican hold) and GGG wins that. 

I honestly thought it was a draw. It was a really tight contest.

I don’t think either of them did enough to win conclusively.

Most rounds were even, where one of them would start the round well and the other would end the round well.

It was clear to see that these were two boxers that were very equally matched.

Golovkin showed flashes of how dangerous he can be, but not to the extent where Canelo was ever out of the fight. Canelo kept coming forward and at times gave as good as he got.

But generally Golovkin was tentative. He showed Canelo too much respect. I also thought his age showed, and it was only his heart and strength of character that got him through the later rounds.

Outside of a trilogy fight, he should probably retire. I don’t see what he has left to prove or gain.