Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I reckon Fury beats Wilder. I think he’ll make it a boring fight, dodge the windmills and box his way through.

Wilder isn’t a great boxer, just a very hard hitter. I can see him getting outclassed.

Hope so. 

They were mentioning that Fury vs Wilder is expected to take place in Vegas.

I really think that was the sticking point in the AJ negotiation. Joshua would have wanted it in the UK to maximise revenue (think how much extra they'd get charging some £60 with 100,000 people in the stadium.

Moreover, in terms of PPV, surely they'd be better off doing it in the UK where more people would buy at a 9:00pm UK fight-time. 9:00pm US would be like 4:00am UK time, they'd be limiting themselves.

It was clearly financial. 

Wilder probably thinks he has a much better chance of beating Fury now in the US than AJ in the UK. That's probably why the fight was so easy to make as for Fury, beating Wilder over there will make him #1 again and a better standing point when negotiating for an AJ fight.

Eddie Hearn will be rubbing his hands because now his money tree only has to beat 1 of Wilder and Fury to be the king rather than 2 high risk fights. 

"We want to fight the winner of Fury and Wilder"

I believe Joshua does but not his trainer or Hearn. 

• 2 weeks later...

A great month of boxing coming up.

This coming weekend we have Danny Garcia vs Shaun Porter.

Then it’s Canelo vs GGG II Sept 15

Then AJ vs Povetkin Sept 22 

Then George Groves vs Callum Smith Sept 28.

There are other fights on too, obviously, like Amir Khan and Linares. Should be a great month.

Khan dodged a bullet tonight. Tagged twice, both times literally as the bell rang, his legs gone on both occasions. He was a lucky boy. Vargas' nose was broken early on but he was the one coming forward all night. Khan clearly had the edge in terms of the speed and accuracy of his work but there are a fair number of fighters in and around the division who would absolutely bury Khan, Kell Brook being one of them. Vargas was brave but he's already been exposed against the top guys and is a pretty one-dimensional fighter. Hope the Khan - Brook fight happens, but I've been waiting for that occurrence for years now so I won't be holding my breath. 

I actually think Khan is a world class fighter. Or was. Either way he deserves respect for what he has achieved in the game despite having a glass chin.

The thing is, how the body reacts to big blows isn’t skill. It’s entirely lucky. GGG having a rock solid chin isn’t some kind of ability he has learned in the gym, it’s pot luck. Same goes for Khan.

Khan has won 2 world titles and defeated elite level boxers despite not being able to take a punch. If he had a chin like GGG or Froch, we’d be talking about a potential all-time great as he has incredible hand speed and movement.

Likewise, if Froch didn’t have a rock hard chin, he’d probably only be European level at best.

As for potential opponents. Pacman isn’t a big puncher. It’ll likely go the distance between two fighters who have a lot of punch output.

Khan would get knocked out by Brook. He probably knows that too.

Khan has more technical ability than Brook, but all it will take is a clean straight counter right on the chin from Kell and he’s in trouble. He would have to fight almost the perfect fight, ie avoiding getting tagged, to win. Brook on the other  hand could have a horrible fight, be way down on points and still win with one telling punch.

Just watched Porter vs Garcia. Porter won by UD 116-112, 115-113, 115-113.

It was a really tough fight to score. Porter outpunched Garcia by a lot, but his punches weren't effective. You know how he fights, just charges forward and unleashed seven or eight punch combos up close.

Garcia was smothering most of them. Some got through to the body, but they didn't seem to make much of an impact.

If anything I'd say Garcia lost the fight rather than Porter winning it. Brook laid down the perfect game plan to beat Porter, straight rights as he comes in. Thurman did also, by stepping back and counter hooking.

Garcia has a devastating left hook, but he barely used it when Porter came charging. He's a better technical fighter, but he didn't dominate enough at range and certainly didn't counterhook enough.

Having said that, Garcia did dish out the better power punches and more eye-catching blows, but too few it seems.

The 116-112 was harsh. I had it a draw or one round either way. 

Oh, and Charles Martin (remember him?) was on the undercard, and got beat by some fat Polish guy.

Seriously, how the hell did he ever become a world champion? He won the lottery by picking up that belt and then cashing in against AJ. He's absoutely terrible. Seriously, even someone like Hughie Fury would school him.

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Oh, and Charles Martin (remember him?) was on the undercard, and got beat by some fat Polish guy.

Seriously, how the hell did he ever become a world champion? He won the lottery by picking up that belt and then cashing in against AJ. He's absoutely terrible. Seriously, even someone like Hughie Fury would school him.

He only got that world title because didn't the other bloke do his ACL or something? 

Any predictions for GGG v Canelo? Respect for both doing it again. Great fighters. 

I reckon GGG gets hurt for the first time as he takes more risk. But GGG on points. 

It's going to be interesting to see what Canelo does different. GGG said he'll work the body more and be more aggressive. He'll obviously try to slow Canelo and pressure him. 

What can Canelo do? In the first fight he fought quite well but GGG seems to be very comfortable taking shots at that weight. He'll have to be even fitter than last time to win not got walked down. 

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

Any predictions for GGG v Canelo? Respect for both doing it again. Great fighters. 

I reckon GGG gets hurt for the first time as he takes more risk. But GGG on points. 

It's going to be interesting to see what Canelo does different. GGG said he'll work the body more and be more aggressive. He'll obviously try to slow Canelo and pressure him. 

What can Canelo do? In the first fight he fought quite well but GGG seems to be very comfortable taking shots at that weight. He'll have to be even fitter than last time to win not got walked down. 

I'll take GGG on points as well.Looking forward to it for sure.

There was a telling moment in the first fight where Canelo landed an enormous overhand right. The same one punch knocked Khan out, yet GGG barely flinched. You saw in that moment Canelo was out of ideas.

Canelo’s neck and head was massive last time due to the drugs. You could see clearly the transformation from a year before. Such a cheat and he probably did it in order to give himself a better chance of taking GGG’s power.

I wonder how he feels this time around. Assuming he’s off the drugs, mentally he will feel a lot different.

I actually think Canelo deserves a lot of respect for taking the rematch. He got out of jail with a draw in the first one, and that was while on PEDs.

This time around, hopefully clean, it’s going to be even tougher and you can imagine GGG will be even more fired up than ever. I can see him retiring after if he wins. His legacy will be done, and from the two fights financially he will be set.

I can’t call it though. Judges are corrupt and you know they’ll be biased towards Canelo. I will probably go for a controversial Canelo points win, but I hope GGG smashes the cheat.