Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Anyone else Mexican this weekend? 

For one night only! Viva la Tijuana!!

Or somethin 

I don't like Canelo, but for some reason I dislike BJS even more - have no idea why, just don't like him.

BJS has looked incredibly poor his last few fights and if it's the same BJS from these fights, he's in for an incredibly rough time. If it's the BJS vs Lemieux then it's a tough one for Canelo but I still think he takes it. 

Canelo has been a different beast for years now and I can't see anything other than a Canelo win.

25 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I don't like Canelo, but for some reason I dislike BJS even more - have no idea why, just don't like him.

BJS has looked incredibly poor his last few fights and if it's the same BJS from these fights, he's in for an incredibly rough time. If it's the BJS vs Lemieux then it's a tough one for Canelo but I still think he takes it. 

Canelo has been a different beast for years now and I can't see anything other than a Canelo win.

Canelo knows he can walk through Saunders from the first bell. Saunders team asking for a bigger ring suggests he knows it too. If Canelo can walk though GGG he can walk through anyone and while I have much admiration for him as a boxer the thing that just astounds me is his chin - it is just granite.

I do agree though, the performance against Lemieux was as good a demonstation of not letting your opponent lay a glove on your as anything the likes of Naz or Kirlklaind Laing dished out.

Edited by BaaLocks

13 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Decent fight, thought BJS could've gone one more round tbh, the eye was bad but he quit the moment the going got tough, didn't wanna face the onslaught that was about to happen. 

With a broken eye socket ? 

10 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's weird though, I can't remember a fighter quitting through such an injury growing up, yet that's at least the 3rd such retirement for a British boxer in the last few years!

Must be the modern way, either the medical side is better, the gloves are lighter, or the modern boxer is more powerful.

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

It's weird though, I can't remember a fighter quitting through such an injury growing up, yet that's at least the 3rd such retirement for a British boxer in the last few years!

Must be the modern way, either the medical side is better, the gloves are lighter, or the modern boxer is more powerful.

The damage another clean shot could have done doesn't bear thinking about. I wanted to see Saunders take a beating, but I've no interest in seeing a boxer fight on with a smashed eye socket.

6 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

The damage another clean shot could have done doesn't bear thinking about. I wanted to see Saunders take a beating, but I've no interest in seeing a boxer fight on with a smashed eye socket.

I don't doubt that, but as I say I can't remember a fighter retiring with such an injury when I was younger.

I can only assume the medical knowledge/care in the ring during a fight is much better now.

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

I don't doubt that, but as I say I can't remember a fighter retiring with such an injury when I was younger.

I can only assume the medical knowledge/care in the ring during a fight is much better now.

I think it's that, but also glove construction. The weights haven't changed as such but they seem to get smaller (and more dense)  every year. It's the type of injury you're more likely to see in MMA to be fair.

13 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

This is BJS after Dubois took a knee after a broken eye socket. 

Difference being, Dubois carried on a few rounds (in a domestic fight with nothing on the line) with basically one eye. BJS was for the world title, the biggest fight he'll ever have, he fought around 2 minutes then quit.

BJS is a massive hypocrite. 

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

BJS is a massive hypocrite. 

Not really.

1: It was his trainer that pulled him

2: Talk is cheap and easy till you're sat there with a piece of bone floating by an eye you can't see out of. Gonna guess that smarts a bit, even without the best pound for pound boxer wanting to thump you in it.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Not really.

1: It was his trainer that pulled him

2: Talk is cheap and easy till you're sat there with a piece of bone floating by an eye you can't see out of. Gonna guess that smarts a bit, even without the best pound for pound boxer wanting to thump you in it.

Of course he is! 

He literally says in this video "get carried out of the ring brother" yet he accepts his trainer calling it off? He said he'd rather die in the ring. Clearly not. This is just another of many reasons to dislike BJS. This video did not age well for him. I am aware of how bad the injury is, but why would someone who knows how serious eye socket injuries can be, say all that about Dubois quitting? 

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Of course he is! 

He literally says in this video "get carried out of the ring brother" yet he accepts his trainer calling it off? He said he'd rather die in the ring. Clearly not. This is just another of many reasons to dislike BJS. This video did not age well for him. I am aware of how bad the injury is, but why would someone who knows how serious eye socket injuries can be, say all that about Dubois quitting? 

So what do you suggest? He should have gone out there and got himself blinded?

46 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

So what do you suggest? He should have gone out there and got himself blinded?

No, not at all. He was pulled for his safety as he easily could've been blinded - that's absolutely fair. BUT, he should know better than slating Dubois for pulling out, when his injury was worse. If he was a decent human being (newsflash, he isn't) he wouldn't have said anything about Dubois other than wishing him well, rather than saying that he himself would rather die in the ring.