Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Nathan Gorman fights Richard Lartey on Saturday. Lartey the guy who gave Dubois lots of trouble but as soon as the ref got chance to stop him, he did.

Be interesting to see how he does and measure how good Dubois' performance was. 

It's hard to judge Frank Warren fighters because he just sneaks them up rankings with easy picks and then they have to step up to fight a real champion. 

Like Anthony Yarde. A bully for over a dozen fights then loses to Kovalev (well past his best imo) and then straight back to being a bully

Hes not even fought the best domestic names. Same with Dubois so far

Boxing gets a bad rep. My girlfriend gives me a bit whenever I pod out....'so violent, how can you blah, blah'. Then, tonight, I see some article on the BBC about the UFC fight where some bloke gets sparked by a kick to the head while holding his opponent's other foot.

So I look. Try it. See what you think.

I get the athleticism. I get the spectacular KO element. But I do not appreciate or respect the spectacle. All this UFC, cagefighting ******** is just so much crap. 

Boxing. That's where the contest is, where the skill is to be appreciated, where the class is in fighting sport. The rest of it can do one. not interested.

On 07/10/2020 at 16:49, Alpha said:

Me too. Should be good.

I don't think Joyce looks like a former Olympic boxer. Maybe he's just never needed to box against his opponents? 

I'd go with Dubois on age. Reckon it will either go the distance or very near before Joyce eventually tires. 

You know they're both going to be getting punched a lot

Your last sentence is the key. Dubois looks like he is going places but he's also steam rollered everyone so far. Lartey stayed in there for a few rounds, and was dangerous if dirty, but Dubois has never hit someone who has either hit back or not fallen over quickly. There is much to unpack in there. Still think he gets it, but Joyce is anything but a punch bag.

On 12/10/2020 at 23:42, Needlesh said:

Boxing gets a bad rep. My girlfriend gives me a bit whenever I pod out....'so violent, how can you blah, blah'. Then, tonight, I see some article on the BBC about the UFC fight where some bloke gets sparked by a kick to the head while holding his opponent's other foot.

So I look. Try it. See what you think.

I get the athleticism. I get the spectacular KO element. But I do not appreciate or respect the spectacle. All this UFC, cagefighting ******** is just so much crap. 

Boxing. That's where the contest is, where the skill is to be appreciated, where the class is in fighting sport. The rest of it can do one. not interested.

Yeah I've tried to like UFC but I just can't. It's as fun to watch as pub brawl at worst or at best it's like any martial arts tournament. With loud music attached. 

Did anyone catch Lomachenko vs Lopez? I'd been picking Lopez to win for a while much to some peoples amusements in other boxing chats I'm in. Lopez is one of my favourite fighters and I saw him live at Maddison Square Garden when I was across the pond. Always felt he'd get the win, too fast and powerful and has a sharp jab. Loma got into it second half of the fight and Lopez lost his way a bit neglecting the jab as but got a solid win in the end. I thought he won by three rounds, Ward on the comms was giving Loma rounds for landing one good power shot which I thought was absolute madness, the scorecards were a bit OTT but the right man won.

5 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Did anyone catch Lomachenko vs Lopez? I'd been picking Lopez to win for a while much to some peoples amusements in other boxing chats I'm in. Lopez is one of my favourite fighters and I saw him live at Maddison Square Garden when I was across the pond. Always felt he'd get the win, too fast and powerful and has a sharp jab. Loma got into it second half of the fight and Lopez lost his way a bit neglecting the jab as but got a solid win in the end. I thought he won by three rounds, Ward on the comms was giving Loma rounds for landing one good power shot which I thought was absolute madness, the scorecards were a bit OTT but the right man won.

Yeah I have to admit I was shocked. I thought one day Loma would take on somebody too big but I didn't think it would be Lopez. 

I expected Loma to get the decision. Boxing being boxing. Or a draw maybe. 

Thought Loma looked troubled from the start. Took him ages to get anything going which was unusual. 

Back down in weight?

Also, Lewis Ritson didn't win. Come on. He lost not comfortably maybe but there's no way Vazquez lost!! 

And he wants to fight Prograis. Prograis who had an epic fight with Josh Taylor. I wouldn't recommend that. He's a lot more lively than Vazquez!! 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Usyk v Chisora on Saturday. 

Good test at HW for Usyk and a huge opportunity for Chisora. 

Quite like both of them. 

Usyk win better for the division but can't wish defeat on Chisora. 

Think Chisora might feel the pace and struggle to keep up.

Usyk is clearly the more skilled fighter, hopefully on Saturday he comes through the fighter against Chisora and proves he can do it against heavier opponents. It'd be a good shake up of the HW division. 

On 01/11/2020 at 00:04, Alpha said:

Usyk with a cautious win. Not really learned anything new. He was faster, fitter and better. Didn’t make a statement but will go onto fight the big players.

I'm not sure he did much to scare anyone. 

Usyk showed some great ring craft and is quicker than others in the division. Chisora is tough and brave but didn’t do enough to win a points decision.

I don’t think Usyk has the punching power to succeed at heavyweight but anything below that weight level he will dominate.

Pretty much went as I posted earlier although I thought Usyk would look better than that but he gave himself 3/10 so maybe he had an off night. He wont be strong enough to keep AJ off IMO, he won't be able to shake off hooks from AJ. Think Fury would out range him and play with him then lean all over him to wear him out.  He's a quality operator but I feel the era of super heavies will just be too much for him as he does not have the power punch to even the game like Wilder.