Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I saw the Yarde and Dubois fights.

Dubois managed to win by a 3rd round KO and his reputation would have actually gone down. He struggled massively with such a obvious and poorly executed smother tactic. DL Jones had heart and chin but wow he looked poor. Dubois being mentioned in the same sentence as Joshua at the minute is unbelievable and yet the media are on it.

Yarde isn't being tested enough imo. Boring mismatches by Warren 

Never seen Gorman. He's not very good then? 

Rooting for Dave Allen tomorrow. Commonwealth title shot 2.  

Re Gorman:  he reminded me of Fury in his early days, big lad but flabby and bullied his opponent into submission. 

Agree about Yarde, he looks the part but needs tested. 

Just watched Brooks greatest hits on sky mix. God knows where I was in 2010 - 2015 but I cant remember many of his fights. 

I went back to the pub in Thurlaston to see when the Clinton Mitchell promotion was on.......it was a poster from 2016.. ...

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Good performance from Josh Taylor, albeit against a stand in. 

There will be some fun in Glasgow tonight for his Hibbee fans. 

I love Taylor. Great to watch, seems like a good lad. He's so good.

Feel for Easton. What a fight though. Relentless. Foot just seemed to have it so easy getting inside and firing away. Easton fights very upright don't you think. He's got like a stiff style that seemed to suit Foot getting inside. A relaxed jab sort of approach could have made for a different fight. Like Easton. Entertaining, very tough, likes to entertain with a variety of shots and movement. He just couldn't get away tonight for 9 or 10 rounds. He battled well but it just never really looked like his kind of scrap.

Dave Allen with a disappointing draw after a 1st round stoppage. Cut to the eye. 

Missed Kell Brook but apparently it was routine stuff. Still think we don't know what Brook has left in him. Have to see him go through a real battle before you can be convinced he's got that toughness for big dangerous fights. Think GGG fight has been a disaster for him really.

Wilder v Ortiz next. 2am is it? 

Be interesting to see if Ortiz can catch him. Literally catch him. Wilder's best bet is to toy with him like the "38 year old" man he is. 

Why were fans booing Ortiz v Wilder. I thought it was great. Sure there were periods of nothing but what do you expect a shootout? 

Impressive performance by both. Massive well done to Wilder for the way he held on. I thought he was finished. 

He really has got power. Even in the long range sort of slaps he does where he's not generating the power from his core. Very awkward fighter. 

Joshua will be fitter and faster than Ortiz. Well, providing he's not 18st again! That should be even better. I'd say the styles of Joshua and Ortiz aren't massively different. Joshua better counter puncher. Other than that he's just a bigger, faster and stronger man. But then does he have the craft like Ortiz? Ortiz controlled the ring for every minute.

Good fun!

Edited by Alpha

Oh, nice to see the corruption was in place just in case it went to points. 

Wilder ahead on all 3 cards? I could see him getting 2 rounds plus a 10-8 round. 

That's 84- 86? 

To put him ahead they found him 2 more rounds? Where? 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Oh, nice to see the corruption was in place just in case it went to points. 

Wilder ahead on all 3 cards? I could see him getting 2 rounds plus a 10-8 round. 

That's 84- 86? 

To put him ahead they found him 2 more rounds? Where? 

I knew the result of the Easton fight before it aired on C5 so I didnt watch it. 

I listened to the end of the Brook show on Talksport and the presenters were calling on Eddie to make the fight with Khan assp. 

The early finish meant talksport had an hour to fill and they replayed "My sporting life" where Danny Kelly interviewed Carl Froch. Fascinating listen as he talked through his career from Amateur to Groves. 

Just catching up with Wilder Ortiz. Seems like he answered a few questions. I can see a stadium super fight looming towards the end of the summer. It will be a genuine 50 50 one.  

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I reckon Whyte/Browne will be a good scrap later,can’t see many rounds in it though Browne’s nearly 19 stone.

Browne seems to be pinning his hopes on that one punch knockout.

Whyte, while not exactly a great boxer, is so superior from a technical standpoint. I think it will be a rubbish fight to be honest. Whyte will just outbox, take little risks and win on points.

Whyte has only knockout out one of his past five opponents. The ones before them were rubbish. He isn't a big puncher. Assuming Browne is a level above those guys (hopefully!), then he won't get blasted out there easily.

Means I can see it going the 12 rounds in a slow, boring fight.

55 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Whyte, while not exactly a great boxer, is so superior from a technical standpoint. I think it will be a rubbish fight to be honest. Whyte will just outbox, take little risks and win on points.

Whyte has only knockout out one of his past five opponents. The ones before them were rubbish. He isn't a big puncher. Assuming Browne is a level above those guys (hopefully!), then he won't get blasted out there easily.

I was hoping they would go at it hell for leather and it would all be over by 6?

You’re probably right on Whyte trying to outbox him...I’ll probably be asleep on the sofa anyway.

49 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I was hoping they would go at it hell for leather and it would all be over by 6?

You’re probably right on Whyte trying to outbox him...I’ll probably be asleep on the sofa anyway.

Fingers crossed it pans out like the Chisora fight. That was great entertainment. Nobody really knows how good Lucas Browne is. He's clearly not a technical boxer, just a big guy with a powerful punch.

Whether he can set up a KO punch on a technical fighter is a different matter. He could get totally outclassed tonight, hope I'm wrong.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wrong!!!

Browne got picked to pieces by Chagaev. But the reason the heavyweights are so popular is because that one punch can turn a fight. Huge blokes on heavy legs dropping bombs. Chagaev looks a better fighter.

I still don't rate Whyte. Funny likable guy but I just don't think he is much better than Browne. Younger, fitter and hungrier. Browne came in knowing Whyte can't resist a tear up. But he came in looking like a pub brawler. 

I don't think Whyte goes much further than this. It's a good level. He can fight Breazeale, Duhaupas, Miller, Washington, Hughie Fury. Good fights for the also rans

He can be the new Chisora. A door for any heavy with serious elite level ambitions can try to walk through. 

The likes of Parker, Joshua, Wilder, Ortiz, Povetkin, Tyson will all have the edge on him imo. They fight smarter.

Whyte thinks he's got a much better defence than he has. He thinks he's got much more power than he has. He's brave, he's got more guts than most. 

Poor showing from Browne. But to use that as the springboard to a AJ or Wilder fight? 

Hearn wants him in with Wilder because they'll create a huge build up. It's a great advert for the real fight. 

Exactly why he's got poor David Price in with Povetkin next week.

In other news... Frank Buglioni eh? Been talking a lot lately. Bet he'll be quiet now

I totally missed it. Damn work!

Was Browne as poor as they say? Or was I completely wrong about Whyte in terms of having proper KO power?

I hope it’s the latter, but anyone who has seen Browne fight knows he has no technical ability and little defence... Was it just a case of him finding that level above?

In terms of Wilder ve Whyte. I think Wilder beats him easy, but he’s another who is hard to judge due to the tomato cans he has easily dispatched.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Was Browne as poor as they say? Or was I completely wrong about Whyte in terms of having proper KO power?

I hope it’s the latter, but anyone who has seen Browne fight knows he has no technical ability and little defence... Was it just a case of him finding that level above?

In terms of Wilder ve Whyte. I think Wilder beats him easy, but he’s another who is hard to judge due to the tomato cans he has easily dispatched.

He just kept coming forward with no defence!

Got picked off,it was painful to watch.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

You were right when you said he's looking for one punch. He walked onto Whyte's fists. 

I think if Whyte had real one punch power it would have ended earlier.  By the time the KO came Browne was beat up and looking very heavy. Hands down, flat feet and getting caught square.

Wilder has too much power and Whyte loves a punch up. As soon as Whyte opens up I think Wilder knocks him out.