Promotion rivals watch

Kernow

The Ipswich basing is harsh.

They've been put together on a shoe-string budget and currently lie in 3rd place in the Championship and previously drew 1-1 at Southampton - a place where Sunderland lost 8-0!

What are you expecting? Yes they have a particular style that rubs up the wrong way, but it's clearly working and so far more so than the likes of Boro and Watford who are attempting to play a pass and move style.

Wasn't long ago that Derby looked utterly clueless when we lost 0-2 at home to Stoke City in the FA Cup. We didn't even have a shot on goal that game, let alone take them to a replay.

And I bet that squad cost far more to put together than the current Ipswich one.

We're not bashing them. I think Mick McCarthy has done a great job and the squad he has put together for 10k is exceptionally good, but I just don't think it's good enough to go up. If they added a couple of players for decent fees then maybe. But as it stands they're our rivals so naturally we'll be critical of them as we're looking at areas for them to slip away rather than push on.

It's not been hard to see that in their past two games they've been out-thought on the tactics side, and have faced two sides in Derby & Southampton who like to play the 'right' way yet have dragged them down to their physical more direct style and been beaten.

It's now up to them to respond, they have good fixtures to respond too but back-to-back defeats for a side that have only lost 3 games all season will take some character to come back from so let's see if they've got it in them.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a lot of time for Sharp on a personal level, he's a smashing guy. Definitely one of my favourites in the game. I don't think moving to Ipswich will be good for him, though. As I didn't think moving to Leeds would either.

I saw Ipswich fans getting excited about sears, but I just don't get it. He's a decent League One striker. Saying that, they don't have much to play with, so I guess their hands are tied. 

If I were Mick McCarthy, I'd be hoping for another big bid for David McGoldrick. 

If they get a cash injection and MM has around three of four million to play with, you'd back them to get in the right bodies and make promotion a real possibiltiy.

I think they're light in wide areas. Having a solid winger and a dominant CM is arguably their downfall.

Defensively, they're very good and they have goals in them via set pieces and Daryll Murphy headers.

If I were Mick McCarthy, I'd be hoping for another big bid for David McGoldrick. 

If they get a cash injection and MM has around three of four million to play with, you'd back them to get in the right bodies and make promotion a real possibiltiy.

I think they're light in wide areas. Having a solid winger and a dominant CM is arguably their downfall.

Defensively, they're very good and they have goals in them via set pieces and Daryll Murphy headers.

Apparently they turned down 4 million bid for Mings.

Archived