Varney to Sheff Wednesday

David

DERBY County striker Luke Varney is expected to join Sheffield Wednesday on loan today.

The 26-year-old scored twice in four appearances during a spell with Wednesday last season.

His latest loan is believed to be for an initial month.

Varney has not started a game for Derby this season and was only on the substitutes' bench even when there was a shortage of strikers for last Saturday's trip to Ssausagehorpe.

Rob Hulse and Kris Commons have returned to the team after injuries.

They made their first starts of the campaign in Tuesday's goalless draw at Blackpool.

Steve Davies missed the matches against Ssausagehorpe and Blackpool with a tight hamstring but could be available for Saturday's home fixture with Plymouth Argyle.

With Hulse, Commons and Davies fit, Varney slips down the pecking order.

Injuries, illness and loss of form have restricted him to only 10 starts since being signed from Charlton Athletic by Paul Jewell.

Varney arrived on loan last November and made his move permanent in January.

The fee was around £1m and he signed a three-and-a-half year contract.

His one goal came in his home debut against Crystal Palace.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know everyone will be saying good riddance, unless we get another striker in on loan this is a stupid move. Hulse isn't match fit, if Commons gets sneezed on against Plymouth on Saturday he will be out for 6 weeks and Davies isn't anywhere near match fitness either.

Like it or not Varney is a striker and at some point he would of scored for us and could of been the confidence boost he needs.

Also before Livermore came in on loan Pearson said on Radio Derby that 2 would be joining on loan this week, only Livermore joined so I'm hoping the other was a striker and the move is now set to go through.

I would class Davies as more of a winger or in the hole kind of player, I don't see him capable of playing the out an out striker role.

Prijovic was involved in pre-season heavily yet wasn't even given a squad number which I find is strange, surely with 7 subs we could of had him on the bench in recent games.

seems little cheeky but if he goes on loan and scores goals surely we could atleast get or 1m back. IF we get another striker we need someone with pace or skill, such as rob earnshaw or nathan tyson from the red dogs. Although hules and kevin phillips would suite me fine.

I'd prefer a youngster with bags of pace that can run at the defence which we haven't got at, also not just any striker but one with a potential to a permanent move, it's ok loaning players although once they have gone your back to square one.

We should have abit of money left in the kitty and with Savages wages reduced and Carroll gone we should be able to squeeze one onto the payroll.

ji sung park to derby?

rumours have it that derby are going to bid for manchester uniteds flying winger reports the times. a bid estimated at 6m will hit man u later this week. does everyone think this would be a good signing. i am not sure .

if clough could get the money out of the board would be a great move

eh? :confused:

Originally posted by rodney ram;28819

ji sung park to derby?

rumours have it that derby are going to bid for manchester uniteds flying winger reports the times. a bid estimated at 6m will hit man u later this week. does everyone think this would be a good signing. i am not sure .

Originally posted by rodney ram;28819

ji sung park to derby?

have you been at the waccy baccy?

Archived