Horse Racing

AmericanRam

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to Florida for my birthday in November to watch horse racing in person for the first time.I really like horse racing,especially seeing a thoroughbred go for the Triple Crown.Don't care too much about betting aspect,just like watching.

Anyone else a fan? Any tracks near Derby?

I'm clueless but won tickets to the Grand National earlier this year which was a good day out.

And Uttoxeter racecourse is close to us and very popular.

Yeah I've been on the original (in modern times) 59 tracks in England Scotland and Wales, 60 if you count Newmarket July course and Rowley mile, though there is now a new track at Ffos Las near Llanelli and Chelmsford City is about to reopen (used to be called Great Leighs), neither of which I have been to yet though hope to do so in the years to come.

Uttoxeter is the closest, Nottingham has a track and theres also Southwell a bit further in that direction.

Wolverhampton is pretty easy to get to also.

Southwell and Wolverhampton are probably the courses I have been to most though nowadays tend to bet from home more often than not. Did go to Uttoxeter this year though when UB40 were on after the racing.

Yeah I've been on the original (in modern times) 59 tracks in England Scotland and Wales, 60 if you count Newmarket July course and Rowley mile, though there is now a new track at Ffos Las near Llanelli and Chelmsford City is about to reopen (used to be called Great Leighs), neither of which I have been to yet though hope to do so in the years to come.

Uttoxeter is the closest, Nottingham has a track and theres also Southwell a bit further in that direction.

Wolverhampton is pretty easy to get to also.

Southwell and Wolverhampton are probably the courses I have been to most though nowadays tend to bet from home more often than not. Did go to Uttoxeter this year though when UB40 were on after the racing.

Good effort that, fair play.

Ex Jockey?

No not an ex jockey lol though I used to ride a few finishes from my armchair!! I think I decided doing all the racecourses would be easier than going around all the football league grounds especially as nowadays they are ever changing with the Conference teams.

• 1 year later...
On September 30, 2014 at 00:19, AmericanRam said:

Going to Florida for my birthday in November to watch horse racing in person for the first time.I really like horse racing,especially seeing a thoroughbred go for the Triple Crown.Don't care too much about betting aspect,just like watching.

Anyone else a fan? Any tracks near Derby?

On 4 June 2016 at 10:12, Boycie said:

Big race over here today, the Espom Derby.

Serious money changes hands on that.

out nearest horse track is Uttoexter I think?

Leicester and Nottingham as well. 

On 4 June 2016 at 10:12, Boycie said:

Big race over here today, the Espom Derby.

Serious money changes hands on that.

out nearest horse track is Uttoexter I think?

Serious money came 4th, backed each way too, never trust Italians :p

59 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Leicester and Nottingham as well. 

Tinpot tracks in horse racing, like going to the Pirelli.

30 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

Doncaster my personal fav, quite easy to get too for me as well as only live about 4 mile from the track. 

Nottingham do get some good Gosden types, he likes the track apparently because its a fair one. 

Donny is fun, particularly on a pub trip, used to end up in town and my mates were convinced the ratio of lasses to lads was higher in Donny than anywhere else. Remember watching Benn v Eubank in some town pub converted from a church in my youth.

York has great views from the main stand, Chepstow my favourite out in the sticks track but Ascot beats the lot by a mile; though do like Newmarket nights, the atmosphere with the big-ish acts is great on Friday nights, even if the July course views are rubbish and racing not much better.

http://newmarket.thejockeyclub.co.uk/newmarket-nights

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

Donny is fun, particularly on a pub trip, used to end up in town and my mates were convinced the ratio of lasses to lads was higher in Donny than anywhere else. Remember watching Benn v Eubank in some town pub converted from a church in my youth.

York has great views from the main stand, Chepstow my favourite out in the sticks track but Ascot beats the lot by a mile; though do like Newmarket nights, the atmosphere with the big-ish acts is great on Friday nights, even if the July course views are rubbish and racing not much better.

http://newmarket.thejockeyclub.co.uk/newmarket-nights

I used to do stewarding at Newmarket, York and Doncaster. Newmarket Friday nights were great. Work from 2pm until 11:30pm. Shower change in town then bed. 2 hours sleep in a dorminatory then up and work for the Saturday. Classic.

39 minutes ago, Mills_DCFC said:

Had £15 on Harzand at 20/1, happy days for me :D. Any one else manage to pick him?

No I was on the 2nd :(

Thought Moore had given it too much to do but 2nd viewing the winner is going away again at the line so no complaints.

Archived