Ribery told to do as your told or I will spank you by Platini

Day

Uefa president Michel Platini has threatened compatriot and now-retired former France playmaker Franck Ribery with a suspension, according to Sunday's version of Bild newspaper.

Bayern Munich winger Ribery announced his retirement from France duty after the World Cup in Brazil, which he missed due to a back injury.

But Platini now claims the 31-year-old will have no choice but to continue playing for his country if selected.

"Franck cannot decide himself whether he plays for France," said the former France star and coach.

"If (coach) Didier Deschamps picks him, he must come. That's the FIFA rule. If he doesn't come, he will be suspended for three Bayern Munich games."

There is a FIFA rule in place which forces players to accept national team call-ups to prevent them - or rather their clubs - from picking and choosing which internationals they play.

But national teams usually respect a player's decision to retire from international duty.

That wasn't the case, however, back in 2006 when then France coach Raymond Domenech forced Claude Makelele, then 33, to turn up to represent the national team despite having announced his international retirement after the World Cup.

That led to Makelele's then Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho accusing Domenech of treating his player "like a slave".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/france/11080066/Michel-Platini-threatens-retired-Franck-Ribery-with-suspension.html

Stupid rule, why would you call up players that don't want to play?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Platini is clearly a level headed guy, impartial and in no way on a Sep Blatter type power trip whatsoever.

What ever next, is he going to fine Didier Six if he is called up or even good old George Best for refusing a potential call up to The Northern Ireland squad.

What a T#t!!

Another example of football chiefs living in cloud cuckoo land. "Last train for Nutsville" population Sep & Michele!!

Fruit loops!

Whilst I don't think it's right to force people to play for the national team I can see where Platini is coming from. This current trend of players retiring from international duty is getting out of hand. Ribery is only 31. It's not like he's going to break down by playing a few international matches. Sooner or later we need to start looking beyond the usual spiel these retirees come out with, "I've done all I can", "It's time to step aside". It's nonsense. We all know that players are put under pressure by their clubs and their agents to ignore international games and focus their attention on where the big money is.

Archived