Hendrick dislocated shoulder

Day

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ipswich's prerogative not to put the ball out - wouldn't expect anything else from a McCarthy side.

Ref shouldn't have let them take a quick free kick when a man is down needing treatment though, that is just awful officiating.

It's not the players responsibility to put the ball out ever, and under the current laws of the game, from everything I can tell of it, it's pretty damn clear it's the referee on the ground's responsibility to stop the game in such circumstances. Things can be missed at times, this is understandable, but a player being down and actually allowing a team to take a quick free kick?

Oh well... mistakes happen.

It's not the players responsibility to put the ball out ever, and under the current laws of the game, from everything I can tell of it, it's pretty damn clear it's the referee on the ground's responsibility to stop the game in such circumstances. Things can be missed at times, this is understandable, but a player being down and actually allowing a team to take a quick free kick?

Oh well... mistakes happen.

Only down to the ref in the event of a head injury, which he quite rightly stopped play for in the second half. But the Hendrick one - well, I'm sure when the ref sees the DVD he'll know that he screwed up.

80% of dislocating again apparently in contact sports once it has already gone once, sounds like if an op is needed its about 3 months out from looking at when it happened to Theo Wallcott a few years back.

Will Davies I think was a Derby player from the past affected by it keep popping out. Though some often leave it until it goes second time around before having the op (so in that case 4-6 weeks out initially I think?)

Mel gibson didnt need 3 months in lethal weapon, he just popped it back in and carried on shooting people...footballers today :-(

Yeah and besides, he dunna play football with his bloody shoulder.

Gerra grip man.

80% of dislocating again apparently in contact sports once it has already gone once, sounds like if an op is needed its about 3 months out from looking at when it happened to Theo Wallcott a few years back.

Will Davies I think was a Derby player from the past affected by it keep popping out. Though some often leave it until it goes second time around before having the op (so in that case 4-6 weeks out initially I think?)

Wasn't that Bryan Robson in the 86 World Cup? Popped straight out again in the first game back...

Only down to the ref in the event of a head injury, which he quite rightly stopped play for in the second half. But the Hendrick one - well, I'm sure when the ref sees the DVD he'll know that he screwed up.

Whilst it's true that head injuries are one of the circumstances that the referee is meant to immediately stop play, with his discretion no longer being the issue (as in they don't have a choice, the Laws of the Game state that directly), it is also clear than any severe injuries (broken bones etc.) should also see the play stopped. This whole "the players should put the ball out of play" nonsense is incredibly outdated, yet even the referees seem to have a hard time understanding it seems. They are the ones that are meant to stop play, the players role is to play on, and the assumption to the players should be that if play is going on, the referee has decided that the player is not seriously injured.

Here's the section from the laws of the game on the topic:

"dEvnwdJ" alt="dEvnwdJ">

Thanks Albert. I bet Fabrice Muamba is glad that his ref allowed treatment on the pitch, contrary to the laws of the game.

But with Hendrick, I wouldn't expect a ref to know what we know, that Jeff is not a player to go down and stay down unless he was badly hurt. If it was Chris Martin, yes, but not Jeff. But when he was still down by the time of the free kick then he should have gone to have had a look, at the very least.

But what was the linesman doing. They're all mic'd up now so that they can talk to each other. Why wasn't he telling the ref that the player was still down? Or the fourth official?

I don't blame the Ipswich players at all for carrying on. There's too much putting the ball out of play unnecessarily in the game nowadays. Had they known the severity of the injury they probably would have stopped. It's up to the ref and his team and this one got it wrong, like he and they did a fair few times yesterday.

Thanks Albert. I bet Fabrice Muamba is glad that his ref allowed treatment on the pitch, contrary to the laws of the game.

But with Hendrick, I wouldn't expect a ref to know what we know, that Jeff is not a player to go down and stay down unless he was badly hurt. If it was Chris Martin, yes, but not Jeff. But when he was still down by the time of the free kick then he should have gone to have had a look, at the very least.

But what was the linesman doing. They're all mic'd up now so that they can talk to each other. Why wasn't he telling the ref that the player was still down? Or the fourth official?

I don't blame the Ipswich players at all for carrying on. There's too much putting the ball out of play unnecessarily in the game nowadays. Had they known the severity of the injury they probably would have stopped. It's up to the ref and his team and this one got it wrong, like he and they did a fair few times yesterday.

My personal stance on putting the ball out follows the official one: It's not for the players to do. Players shouldn't put the ball out for an injury, they should keep playing, always. It's the referees job to stop the game when it needs to be done, and if is so incompetent that he fails to do so, he should be sacked immediately. There is no place in the game for a referee who sacrifices player safety.

Also note with the Muamba point that it clearly states at the end that severe injuries are exceptions to the above, that is, in those exceptional circumstances players may receive treatment on the field etc.

To be completely honest the procedure set out by FIFA is pretty damn good. The problem is the referees are under considerable pressure from two sides, firstly from FIFA for player safety, and from the fans and coaches to not stop the game for people feigning injury. In this particular case though allowing a quick free kick with Hendrick still down is categorically against the laws of the game, and I would hope that the referee would be dealt with properly for this.

Archived