Robin Williams has committed suicide

sage

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so sad. It's heartbreaking and downright unfair that someone who brought so much joy to the world could be so tormented on the inside.

A lot of people said he should have sought help. Don't get me wrong but I imagine he did and that's what would have stopped him doing this in his twenties.

As the old saying goes: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

For someone known for his comedy he was a very talented actor and I wish he'd chosen more serious roles to go alongside the comedy. Good Will Hunting was my favourite performance of his. 

Just shows that you should always treat people nice because you don't know what demons they're facing behind closed doors. 

I read a very funny and touching post from a Finnish bloke who had admired Mr. Williams. Shame that it would lose so much in translation that it is better not to do it here. But clearly Robin Williams was someone who meant a lot for lot of people.

I was a fan of his starting from Mork And Mindy. The guy had a really high IQ and was an intelligent man.I did also admire him for being so honest with his drug and alcohol problems.

I really will miss him.

I can't claim to have ever been a fan of his and always found his manic comedic style to grate on me and not be particularly funny but his passing is so sad because it just shows what a horrible illness depression is.

I had a brush with depression a few years ago and nobody is immune and if Robin's tragic death can raise awareness that even someone as successful and "funny" as him can be plagued by the demons, then hopefully many other people might get the help they so desperately need.

It's very sad that there is such a stigma to the illness and people don't feel they can admit to it and often don't get taken seriously when they do. The first time I went to the GP I was sent away with a leaflet. He might as well have sung "always look on the bright side of life" to me, for all the good it did. I persisted and, with the great support of family, got through it in few months and worked out for myself what I needed to change in my life, to get me back to being me again.

That was 10 years ago and I was lucky. so many people are not.

I can't claim to have ever been a fan of his and always found his manic comedic style to grate on me and not be particularly funny but his passing is so sad because it just shows what a horrible illness depression is.

I had a brush with depression a few years ago and nobody is immune and if Robin's tragic death can raise awareness that even someone as successful and "funny" as him can be plagued by the demons, then hopefully many other people might get the help they so desperately need.

It's very sad that there is such a stigma to the illness and people don't feel they can admit to it and often don't get taken seriously when they do. The first time I went to the GP I was sent away with a leaflet. He might as well have sung "always look on the bright side of life" to me, for all the good it did. I persisted and, with the great support of family, got through it in few months and worked out for myself what I needed to change in my life, to get me back to being me again.

That was 10 years ago and I was lucky. so many people are not.

Thankyou for sharing this Wolfie.... I've gone through the same so I can kind of understand what you went through. It's a silent illness, well done on getting through it.

Thankyou for sharing this Wolfie.... I've gone through the same so I can kind of understand what you went through. It's a silent illness, well done on getting through it.

A good GP should refer patients for counselling. Only there will they be truly heard. No-one wants to hear the 'cheer up' message when they have something, often imperceptible, which is preventing them from personal growth and development. Depression is often the repression of other emotions and these need to be brought to the surface. This can take some time, but honesty on both sides can make this less daunting.

I am pleased you found your way through, too.

A good GP should refer patients for counselling. Only there will they be truly heard. No-one wants to hear the 'cheer up' message when they have something, often imperceptible, which is preventing them from personal growth and development. Depression is often the repression of other emotions and these need to be brought to the surface. This can take some time, but honesty on both sides can make this less daunting.

I am pleased you found your way through, too.

Thankyou, I took that course of action. Had cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and not looked back. That's one of the main things. Looking forwards not backwards for my own personal feelings

I could not agree more that counselling is definitely the way to go and hopefully things have changed in the 10 years since my illness. When I was eventually taken seriously, counselling wasn't offered but medication was. I was on a fairly low dose of anti-depressant but it was enough just to help clear my mind enough for me to see through the fog and, by talking to family and friends, realise what the underlying issues were. I'm sure proper counselling would got me there quicker and I hope that this is now widely offered.

This is a football forum but if anyone is currently suffering with this illness, then open up and talk, talk, talk. Medication can help but it's the talking that does the trick.

If you want to watch a great Robin Williams film you haven't seen before with a great performance try The Fisher King.

Utterly wonderful 'feel good' film. One of Terry Gilliam's masterworks in my opinion, ranking alongside Twelve Monkeys and Brazil.

Wow. If anyone needs an education on mental illness it's Alan Brazil. In his opinion mental illness is a weakness and Robin was selfish. This coming from a drink driver??

I really cannot do with people like this.

Alan, I do hope you enjoy your perfect life and never have such a debillitating illness like depression get you in it's lethal grip. Do one.

To Robin - Genie. You're free... X

Gutted,

I feel a bit odd about it all to be honest, not sure if I have depression or have in the past, I can fully understand why he did it but there is a thought in the back of my head that just thinks its a cop out.

Like I said I can totally understand the idea of making it all stop and a permanant solution to a temporary solution, however I couldnt bear the thought of somebody finding me or leaving my lad/missus/family

The problem with depression especially in blokes is taking the first step, and admitting the issue, something I think a lot of us arent willing to admit,

Depression is a horrible thing, and an illness, not a weakness. However, how anyone could do that to their family is beyond me. I've spoken to a number of people that have suffered extreme depression and at their lowest, they admit considering suicide. They all said that the situation it leaves their family in is what stopped them.

We actually have a family friend who's had both of her husbands commit suicide. How the second husband could have done that to her and their children (knowing her past) is simply unimaginable. Horrible business. 

I think that sometimes there is justification for saying that suicide is a selfish, 'easy' way out. Otherwise you could just say 'oh, he must have been terribly depressed, bless him' even though in certain situations, it's not as simple as that.

I'd never condone suicude as an option, you've got to keep fighting.

However, in Robin Williams case, I think it's the fact that he was such an open person, met his drink and drugs problems with humour, and just seemed to be such a genuinely nice guy. He brought joy to so many others, even if he couldn't bring it to himself. He was pretty old, he leaves a legacy of brilliant work, and I think his family are now of an age that they will cope, so he did his bit, and I think, in this case, if he felt that blissful oblivion was his last resort, it is sad, and it is a shame, but so be it.

I can't be mad at Genie / Mrs. Doubtfire / Patch Adams.

Archived