The view from the outside 14/15

Thierry Ennui

Today's result was expected by 32 of the 44 folks who did Mr. Logicalman's prediction list here and on FulhamUSA.com, so it was as far away from being a shock result as is possible.

This result was certainly not a surprise to me. I saw Derby play a couple of times last season, and thought they were certs for automatic promotion then and better than a half dozen Premier League sides -- including us. If I were stupid and self-centered enough to waste any of the household money on wagering how a bunch of men I've never met will prosper in a league filled with other men I've never met, then I'd put it on Derby County getting promoted this season.

So, if there's anyone who wasn't panicking on Friday, he/she shouldn't be panicking today.

From (http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=41832.0)

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isnt it a measure of peoples insecurities that they have to resort to reading other fans opinions of us to get some kind of reassurance about our team or is it that people dont actually know our own teams capabilities ?

I'll wait until someone else replies to that before i venture my own opinion.

Isnt it a measure of peoples insecurities that they have to resort to reading other fans opinions of us to get some kind of reassurance about our team or is it that people dont actually know our own teams capabilities ?

I like reading other fans' views of Derby, mainly because they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about and it's pure comedy for me.

Whilst it's nice to hear the 'Derby are great' posts I'd rather look out for the typical 'Jake Buxton is a clogger' and 'Chris Martin is a diver' posts. Love it when they call us midtable fodder - especially the Forest fans. Didn't we beat them 5-0 last season?

It's a bit of balance, I think. It's safe to say that people develop rather extreme views on our players, and tend to think of them as better or worse than they really are.

There's also the aspect of being influenced by others on here, whether we mean to or not.

I find it really interesting to see who other teams' fans pick out and what they think.

Often people from outside can see the big picture better than the ones inside.

But did you read this thread?

Just throwing it out there thats all, there is another thread asking should we really be the bookies second favourites for promotion, again this smacks of people wanting some kind of comfort blanket to reassure them that we will finish in the top 2, playoffs etc.

Just throwing it out there thats all, there is another thread asking should we really be the bookies second favourites for promotion, again this smacks of people wanting some kind of comfort blanket to reassure them that we will finish in the top 2, playoffs etc.

This thread isn't just people pointing out the good stuff so I don't really see your point.

How does the other thread do that?

You're just WUMMING again.

• 3 weeks later...

Good a place to put this as anywhere.

Robbie Savage in today's Mirror....

Approaching the 10th anniversary of Brian Clough's death, its appropiate that the two clubs he guided to the title meet at the City Ground on Sunday.

Both Notts Forest and Derby might have been playing in the Premier League by now if their managers had made different choices at the back end of last season.

Pearce was offered the Forest job with seven games to go but chose to wait until July to start work.

If he had taken 13 points from those games like they have banked already as Championship front-runners, they would have made the play-offs and who knows where they might have gone from there.

And i wonder if Derby boss Steve McClaren now regrets leaving Craig Bryson out of his starting xi in the play off final against QPR at Wembley, where the Rams didn't deserve to lose.

Either way, Forest v Derby is one of the biggest and fiercest derbies in English Football where passions even spread to the touchline.

I doubt if Pearce and McClaren will have a set to like Nigel Clough and Billy Davies did a couple of years ago, but if it boils over i know who my money would be on!

Robbie Savage in today's Mirror....

Pearce was offered the Forest job with seven games to go but chose to wait until July to start work.

If he had taken 13 points from those games like they have banked already as Championship front-runners, they would have made the play-offs and who knows where they might have gone from there.

And i wonder if Derby boss Steve McClaren now regrets leaving Craig Bryson out of his starting xi in the play off final against QPR at Wembley, where the Rams didn't deserve to lose.

Clearly our Robbie doesn

Understanding things has never been Sav's strong point, as he aptly demonstraits each week on 606, however, I think he has a soft spot for these fixtures now.

And yeah, in a fight a skilled tatctical fighter like Stevie would use the ancient power of beh-tai-gump-ha to turn his attackers force against him.

As me mam used to say, use yer gumption........

Archived