Shaftesbury Street

Best TV Dramas

On 07/02/2019 at 16:54, mozza said:

Das Boot, Sky Atlantic, if the next 7 episodes are as good we're in for a treat. 😁

Loving Das Boot.

Bizarrely, I quite like the fact it's mostly in German (although plenty of French and English spoken) which means I have to concentrate instead of trying to multi-task by having my laptop open (no dodgy sites visited. Well, apart from this one of course).

On 19/01/2019 at 10:57, Carl Sagan said:

Currently watching The Orville.

If you had all the money in the world, were a space Geek and a film/TV genius, why not make a comic homage to Star Trek in which you take centre stage as the captain of your own Starship? 

With his dosh from Family Guy, American Dad, Ted etc, Seth Macfarlane initially funded a remake of my own genius TV series, Cosmos. But I think his move to The Orville really showcases his brilliance. It's light, very funny and has a lot of real science buried in the episodes. 

I watched most of the first series but found the mix of Star Trek spoofery and often dark subject matter to be too jarring to be enjoyable. Plus Seth McFarlane is a bit marmite.

18 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Loving Das Boot.

Bizarrely, I quite like the fact it's mostly in German (although plenty of French and English spoken) which means I have to concentrate instead of trying to multi-task by having my laptop open (no dodgy sites visited. Well, apart from this one of course).

binged this over three days, found it pretty average to be honest.

8 minutes ago, Moist One said:

binged this over three days, found it pretty average to be honest.

Perhaps you over-dosed and should have spread the episodes over a few more days. But, no programme is to everyone's tastes. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Perhaps you over-dosed and should have spread the episodes over a few more days. But, no programme is to everyone's tastes. 

think i did it 3, 3, 2. It was just an average storyline, some bits predictable. Well worth a watch, but not worthy of a top 20 place.

38 minutes ago, Moist One said:

think i did it 3, 3, 2. It was just an average storyline, some bits predictable. Well worth a watch, but not worthy of a top 20 place.

Perhaps you should have packed midfield or tried a more attacking formation.

I probably wouldn't put it in my top 20 either. Not as good as Gomorrah. 

Storyville-Under the wire. BBC4. Not a drama but a documentary but wow!

True story of Marie Colvin and Paul Conroy, plus a group of French journalists who reported from Homs at the height of fighting in 2012.

So tense you will forget to breathe.

Finished season 2 of the Punisher at the weekend. Pretty good. Similar strengths and weaknesses to season 1. Primary antagonist very interesting. Secondary antagonist not so much. Recommended viewing if you don't know about it. Violent and well acted, both seasons have interesting and engaging forays into difficult topics like PTSD and war veterans trying to reintegrate into society etc. 
The Punisher series prologue was in Daredevil season 2, so that's good to watch if you fancy it - but not needed.
I'd give the Punisher stuff overall an A-

Also watched Castlevania on Netflix last week. It's an animation, and not many episodes, but its not too bad. Based on the games, which I've never played, but knowing nothing about them doesn't detract. Vampires n that. It's oddly paced at times but has decent action scenes. Quite gory.
I'd give it a C+

Season 2 of American Gods starts mid March. I'm looking forward to having my brain melted again.

Edited by SaintRam