Test match England V India

ramafan

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that's what you call a batting collapse!

Cook, Bell, Prior all disappointing.

Stokes bowling seems to have improved but batting hasn't.

And is Broad still classed as an all-rounder? Poor show from him.

Think Anderson should open the batting instead of Cook!

Cook says he will not give up the Captaincy , big headed selfish barsteward , no player is bigger than the team .

This isn't even close to what he said. He was very honest in his post match interview and what he actually said regarding the captaincy is he'll do the job for as long as he's asked to do it. He'd probably be a bit relieved if it was to be taken off him in some respects but I don't see what point there is in him quitting if the selectors still think he's the best man for the job, it just gives them even more problems. 

With regards to this match in particular, you can look at the batting after lunch today and be disappointed, but the bowlers cost us this test match make no mistake. They were awful in the first innings, completely outbowled by, and I stand by this assessment, a very average Indian attack.

Definitely need changes for next game. Broad hasn't bowled consistently well for a while now and there's some suggestion he's carrying a knock so I'd bring in Jordan for him and I'd like to see Borthwick brought in for either Stokes or Plunkett (or Anderson if he gets a suspension). I'd also drop Prior, out of nick and doesn't look fit behind the stumps either, for Buttler. I personally wouldn't drop either Cook or Bell but wouldn't be too concerned if Hales or Morgan were brought in to give one of them a break.

Anderson, Broad, Cook, Bell, Prior. You could make a case for dropping any of them.

And Stokes hasn't made a single run for at least 4 innings and hasn't made double figures for months. Supposedly he's an all-rounder. The new Mark Ealham?

The whole thing is a mess. Cook inspires neither his players nor the fans and lacks the personality to take His bowlers to task. We've already ditched our best batsman because the captain couldn't manage him. Who will he stab in the back next in order to save his own skin?

Still, as long as he has the backing of that half-wit paul Downton, this whole sorry mess will continue.

I think the whole KP thing was handled very badly from the minute he was 'reintegrated' into the side. In my opinion that was the biggest mistake in hindsight, although at the time I was delighted to have him back in the team. Sending derogatory texts to the opposition, whether they're you're mates or not, about your test captain must be about as unprofessional as it gets and there really should've been no way back for him after that.

Obviously a successful spell of results followed his return, with wins in India and a home Ashes win, and all seemed to be well but there was always going to be underlying tension between Strauss' friends in the dressing room and KP following 'textgate'. Naturally this came to a head following an embarrassing display down under. 

However, axing him immediately following this, in particular right before the T20 World Cup, was simply ridiculous. By all accounts he did very little to upset anyone in Australia and he should've been given a chance to get his head down and smooth over any issues under a new regime.

This isn't even close to what he said. He was very honest in his post match interview and what he actually said regarding the captaincy is he'll do the job for as long as he's asked to do it. He'd probably be a bit relieved if it was to be taken off him in some respects but I don't see what point there is in him quitting if the selectors still think he's the best man for the job, it just gives them even more problems. 

With regards to this match in particular, you can look at the batting after lunch today and be disappointed, but the bowlers cost us this test match make no mistake. They were awful in the first innings, completely outbowled by, and I stand by this assessment, a very average Indian attack.

Definitely need changes for next game. Broad hasn't bowled consistently well for a while now and there's some suggestion he's carrying a knock so I'd bring in Jordan for him and I'd like to see Borthwick brought in for either Stokes or Plunkett (or Anderson if he gets a suspension). I'd also drop Prior, out of nick and doesn't look fit behind the stumps either, for Buttler. I personally wouldn't drop either Cook or Bell but wouldn't be too concerned if Hales or Morgan were brought in to give one of them a break.

England v India: Alastair Cook says he will not resign as captain

Alastair Cook said he will not resign as England captain this summer.

The hosts collapsed to 223 all out as they slipped to a seventh loss in nine Tests to go 1-0 down in the series.

Former England skippers Michael Vaughan and Alec Stewart have called on the England and Wales Cricket Board to take the captaincy off Cook.

But Cook, who has not made a hundred in 27 innings, said: "To quit now, in the middle of the series, would be wrong."

Ok if you want to be pedantic about it, yes he said he won't quit, but it has nothing to do with him thinking he's bigger than the team or being a greedy *******. He's not going to throw his toys out of the pram if he is stripped of the captaincy, the simple fact is if he resigned the captaincy with no consultation with the selectors he'd be leaving us even more in the lurch.

It would be far easier for him to resign now than to not, he's under that much pressure.

You can certainly make a pretty air tight case for him to go based on his lack of runs and the fact we're simply not winning games under his leadership. I'm a huge fan of his yet at this stage I would not be overly fussed if he was to go for the time being.

I would defend his captaincy/tactics in the field somewhat though, he has been badly let down by his bowlers this summer. There's simply no excuses for not being able to remove 9, 10 and 11 without them regularly putting on a disproportionate amount of runs. This shouldn't require inspired or funky captaincy, all it needs is good bowling. If they'd bowled as they should have in the first innings of this test we'd have won it comfortably.

Archived