NBA

RLACML

On 3/11/2016 at 09:09, r4derby said:

2016 Season is over 2/3 done. Who are people watching as surprise teams set for a deep playoff run? The West will be contended by Warriors and Spurs, the likes of the thunder and LAC are too inconsistent at this stage to judge whether they will be able to beat either of the top 2.

The East is a lot more open, think any team who hits a run could effectively make the conference championships.

Kobe is enjoying his season long testimonial, looked like his old self against Cavs at weekend.

Personal note, glad the Heat are starting to show some promise despite losing Bosh and not leaning on Wade every game

Only just seen his thread and am happy as new NBA enthusiast and OKC follower, who are looking good this year however, can't beat the big teams around them so can't look past Curry and Golden State again this year. I'm interested in asking people the reasons they follow/support the teams they do?

I've got a particularly poor reason, I watched a documentary about Kevin Durant and it got me into the sport (called The Offseason and it's on Youtube). Liked the fact he seemed humble and quiet despite being one of the leagues best players.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knicks because I watched them at Madison Square Garden in circa 2009. I don't remember the year without looking. They were horrendous and had no one of any note whatsoever - Nate Robinson maybe. Got trounced by a Magic team with Dwight Howard.

I went to Florida 2004, the next season a mate of mine started watching NBA supporting the Mavs. I looked at the league and watched couple of the teams from Florida way, liked the look of a young D Wade at the Heat, and then they acquired Shaq. I've been Miami since then. The next season they won the championship, then went through a dry patch until "the decision", Lebron was such fun to watch.

Soft spot for Knicks (I'm usually a NY fan in other sports) like KDurant and the way he plays

I got into it heavily in the mid 90s so of course it was all about the Bulls.  Jordan was, and still is, the greatest of all time.  After a while I started to switch to Seattle Supersonics because of the "Reign Man" Shaun Kemp and Gary Payton double act.  Unfortunately since firstly Channel 4, then Sky lost the rights I don't get to see much except for the odd highlights video on Youtube.  

• 2 weeks later...

Final day of the regular season produced some history. Warriors break record for most single season wins of 73 by winning their last 4 games. Kobe, in his final game pours in 60 points, on 50 shots! Was pretty much a case of "is Kobe on the court? Give home the ball" 

playoff time.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in LA for Kobe's last game (not at the game I should add, just in the city) and you'd have thought the world was ending, insane! 

Toyed with getting tickets but was put off by the 4 figures so opted to watch the Clippers the night before vs the Grizzlies.

Anyway, been a supporter of the Orlando Tragic since 1997. I saw them live only the once (in Los Angeles against the clippers again) and couldn't get tickets for the game in London this year sadly.

• 1 month later...

Finals time. A rematch of last season. Golden State had to get past a formidable OKC, who may well be without their star Durant next season. The Cavs have looked unstoppable in almost all of their match ups, especially Lebron, who may decide to leave Cleveland (again) if he finally wins a ring with the Cavs. 

Can the Warriors repeat and become a dynasty? Or can Lebron and the Cavs win a troph their city has been waiting a long time for...?

I think if both star men (Steph/Lebron) perform like they have been, top level, then it comes down to support players, which the Cavs may have enough this year. But never discount the Warriors.

I'm going for Golden State in 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2016 at 16:43, Srg said:

Kevin Durant just announced he's going to the Warriors...

Curry, Thompson, Green, Igoudala and Durant. 

Game over. 

Can't wait to see it in action, personally was shocked to see KD move this year, but doesn't half make next year interesting to watch how other teams make moves to compete.

12 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Tim Duncan announced his retirement today.Greatest power forward ever ,made everything look so easy.

Wasnt exciting to watch but I couldnt think of a better player to have in a team.

Experience, Composure, Talent, Leadership and an Engine which seemingly never ran out until now.

I would say its a tough call between him, Karl Malone and Dirk for best power forward ever though

18 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

The contrast between Kobe's "retirement tour" and Duncan quietly bowing out is pretty amazing.

Duncan seems like a very quiet and reserved person to me, I assume he didnt want the hassle and I doubt he will go into media or coaching unless its at youth level

1 hour ago, Dale The Ram said:

Duncan seems like a very quiet and reserved person to me, I assume he didnt want the hassle and I doubt he will go into media or coaching unless its at youth level

Yeah and all credit to him. I think Kobe's "retirement year" might have even damaged their young players as they didn't get enough playing time and now they may well be badly lacking a team leader. Duncan's reserved nature has meant that the Spurs can now quite easily transition to the "Kawhi Leonard era".

Archived