Roy Hodgson

Day

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone please let me know the good/great performances are/were under Roy?

One decent 90 mins against Italy but other than that I am struggling.

Euro 2012 - got out of a tough group by drawing with France & beat Sweden - played pretty well both matches. (not so great against Ukraine but we still won - at their home ground)

Beat Italy 2-1 & Brazil 2-1 in friendlies in 2012/13

Drew 2-2 with Brazil in the Maracana last year - were leading until late on & played very well.

Dispatched both our WC qualification group rivals in the space of a week last Oct - Montenegro 4-1 and Poland 2-0

Until last Saturday, England had not lost a competitive game under Hodgson. I guarantee you if Arry Redknapp had this kind of record for England, the media wouldn't even consider his position to be under threat.

Euro 2012 - got out of a tough group by drawing with France & beat Sweden - played pretty well both matches. (not so great against Ukraine but we still won - at their home ground)

Beat Italy 2-1 & Brazil 2-1 in friendlies in 2012/13

Drew 2-2 with Brazil in the Maracana last year - were leading until late on & played very well.

Dispatched both our WC qualification group rivals in the space of a week last Oct - Montenegro 4-1 and Poland 2-0

Until last Saturday, England had not lost a competitive game under Hodgson. I guarantee you if Arry Redknapp had this kind of record for England, the media wouldn't even consider his position to be under threat.

None of the Euro 2012 matches were good performances but he was new so we can forgive that.

Okay will concede the two Brazil games and the Italy but the rest no...

Qualifying was not hugely impressive..

Apart from the Italy game in Brazil I have not seen too much to get excited about.

I'll be honest, I cannot stand the way Roy Hodgson sets his teams out. Fulham, Liverpool, England...etc it doesn't seem to matter, he has a certain methodology that rubs me up the wrong way and I don't like it. 

I don't see why he should get time either, we've had the worst World Cup in our history of the competition with a team that isn't that bad. We've got a £30million pound left-back on the bench for crying out loud. 

Anyway, the job of managing a country is hugely differently to one managing a club and takes different types of people. 

You don't need a coach, really. I think you need a good man manager above all else. 

Totally agreed.

But at the same time I thought his tactics were your only chance to have even little bit of success.

None of the Euro 2012 matches were good performances but he was new so we can forgive that.

Okay will concede the two Brazil games and the Italy but the rest no...

Qualifying was not hugely impressive..

Apart from the Italy game in Brazil I have not seen too much to get excited about.

I think you've got unrealistically high expectations of our national side to be honest. There have been good performances over the 2 years and qualifying was brutally efficient - which is all you want it to be really. Difficult to ever look impressive against San Marino. Like I've said earlier in the thread, the problem at this WC has been the quality of the players - I honestly don't believe any other manager could have done any better with them.

That's irrelevant though. He's "worth" £30 million because a) he's young, b) he's English & c) he's got a lot of hype around him at the minute. Andy Carroll cost £13 million more than Luis Suarez - who do you think is the better player?

This team is that bad I'm afraid. Its not due to a lack of effort or discontent within the camp or a lack of preparation. Whatever you think about Hodgson's style, his pedigree is without question. Its down to a lack of talent - simple as that.

It's not irrelevant, because Manchester United clearly think that Luke Shaw is better than any other left back in the world available at that money and his current club think he's worth keeping if they don't get that.

I know he's over-priced, don't get me wrong, but I think Roy Hodgson can hide behind 'well this team isn't what it was' 

Iran have out performed us at this World Cup, so have Costa Rica - our team isn't as bad as that. We've got a squad full of really expensive players.

You've got to remember Hughes, who to some is worth £15million, isn't anywhere near the squad (rightly or wrongly) so we know first hand how high-standard this team is. I just think the apathy around the team allows Hodgson to hide behind what has been a shocker.

Totally agreed.

But at the same time I thought his tactics were your only chance to have even little bit of success.

When it comes to England, I genuinely struggle to think what the best method is. 

Under Capello, he knew what was good about our team and he played to its strength. Unfortunately, that was built on resolute defending and pretty bland football.

Now, we need someone to build the team ready for France in 2016. Let's be honest, as a supporter the World Cup in Qatar and Russia just don't appeal. 

Despite the poor performance of our players some onus has to be put on Hogdson and the players that he selected and the formation that was chosen these fine margins are the difference between 'success' and failure.

In my opinion Ashley Cole should have been brought along and an attempt to get Terry to turn out as well would have benefited the side. There was a real lack of leadership out there especially against Italy where the players on the pitch just didnt react or maybe realise the Italian threat down our left.

That aside for the Uruguay game we should have gone 4-3-3 giving our shakey back 4 some support by packing the midfield preventing them playing through the blatant lines that our 4-4-1-1 formation created.

I believe that these decisions by Hodgson and his staff at this WC were just plain wrong.

You've got to remember Hughes, who to some is worth £15million, isn't anywhere near the squad (rightly or wrongly) so we know first hand how high-standard this team is. I just think the apathy around the team allows Hodgson to hide behind what has been a shocker.

I dont think I can ever take any of your posts serious ever again if you really are bench marking the England team against Hughes.

Hughes has potential, but has not played outside the championship, a league that is not of that great a quality, and one where Hughes even struggled to hold down a regular place in towards the last season.

I not talking about Hughes quality here, but the statement you have made that this England team must be a high standard because Hughes was not in it.......if true he won't be at derby next season, there will be a queue a mile long for him.....

I dont think I can ever take any of your posts serious ever again if you really are bench marking the England team against Hughes.

Hughes has potential, but has not played outside the championship, a league that is not of that great a quality, and one where Hughes even struggled to hold down a regular place in towards the last season.

I not talking about Hughes quality here, but the statement you have made that this England team must be a high standard because Hughes was not in it.......if true he won't be at derby next season, there will be a queue a mile long for him.....

You missed the point totally  :lol:

My point was, people can't have it both ways.

How can you call the England team poor, yet say one of our young English players is worth £15million - I don't agree with either statement by the way.

It's the point I'm making about people talking up young English players to the hilt - for instance, Forest fans rate Lascelles at the same price as Chelsea played for Zouma. It's madness, but yet people do think like that.

You missed the point totally  :lol:

My point was, people can't have it both ways.

How can you call the England team poor, yet say one of our young English players is worth £15million - I don't agree with either statement by the way.

It's the point I'm making about people talking up young English players to the hilt - for instance, Forest fans rate Lascelles at the same price as Chelsea played for Zouma. It's madness, but yet people do think like that.

I don't get your point, no.

I don't think the price of a player has any relevance on how good a player is, and I don't think the England team is poor, like I don't think the Spanish is, or the Portuguese for example.

There have just better teams than us, over the 2 games, are they better sides, yes at this moment in time, have they under performed, yes, was this the managers fault or the players, luck, or just poor play?

Probably a bit of all, but France is an example of how teams can move on from failure like going out at the first round.

I don't get your point, no.

I don't think the price of a player has any relevance on how good a player is, and I don't think the England team is poor, like I don't think the Spanish is, or the Portuguese for example.

There have just better teams than us, over the 2 games, are they better sides, yes at this moment in time, have they under performed, yes, was this the managers fault or the players, luck, or just poor play?

Probably a bit of all, but France is an example of how teams can move on from failure like going out at the first round.

The price of a player is of direct relevance to how good a player is - that's how players become more expensive, through earning a reputation by being good. Otherwise, how else do you quantify how much a player is worth if not by his ability? 

I see Barkley quoted around £60million, Shaw £30million, Lallana £30million...etc I don't agree with the price, but it makes me laugh when people turn around and say the England team is poor. That's potentially £120million sitting on the bench. 

The standard of English players is pretty good, especially in comparison with other teams. That's why I won't accept the management or players hiding behind the apathy towards the team. 

If Costa Rica wins the group, that's fair play to them but it just emphasises just how poor we have been. Not a single one of their players would make the England team, I mean, their best player is a Arsenal development team striker. Yet, through shear hard work they've out performed us on every level. 

It's not irrelevant, because Manchester United clearly think that Luke Shaw is better than any other left back in the world available at that money and his current club think he's worth keeping if they don't get that.

I know he's over-priced, don't get me wrong, but I think Roy Hodgson can hide behind 'well this team isn't what it was' 

Iran have out performed us at this World Cup, so have Costa Rica - our team isn't as bad as that. We've got a squad full of really expensive players.

You're playing far too much emphasis on market value. Market value is only an indication of how much a club wants to buy a player - many other factors other than playing ability are factors - age, length of contract, how desperate a club are to sign that player & most relevant of all, the wealth of the club. The reason young English players are so expensive is because they are almost always bought by English clubs - who are amongst the richest in Europe. You simply can't compare our players with Iran's or Costa Rica's players based on transfer values.

I asked in an earlier post who the better player was out of Luis Suarez & Andy Carroll but you didn't answer. Suarez cost £22m, Carroll cost £35m - by your reckoning Carroll is not only much better than Suarez but by dint of his market value, is one of the very best players in the world.

Derby's transfer record is Rob Earnshaw for £3.5 million - is he the best ever player in Derby's history?

Do you remember when Real Betis bought that awful Brazilian Denilson - he of the multiple step overs? £22m in 1998 - he was the world's most expensive player. Was he the best player in the world in 1998? No, of course not.

Don't be blinded by the hype & wealth surrounding English "elite" players - they really aren't that good.

Hodgson, for me, can go now...

It's not the fact we've just been dumped out of the WC, it's the fact he's intent on picking names rather than seeing what the underlying problem is.

We have no system, identity, mentality or unique playing style.

He's just told Gerrard to delay his decision about retiring, he wants him for 2016. Why? Steven Gerrard resembles everything that is wrong with the England national team.

I have no problem with Gerrard being 36 next WC so long as he adapts his game so he is not charging round the pitch trying to do everything. What I do have a problem with is that we don't seem to have a central defender with the awareness to know what is happening around him. We are desperate for a defender who thinks smart, thinks about what the forwards are going to do. Our opposition are finding it so easy to drift away from our defenders that we are always going to concede goals. We also have an issue over where to play Rooney and if that is a problem maybe we shouldn't play him. Personally, I would play him as an out and out striker with Sturridge playing off him. 

Hodgson, for me, can go now...

It's not the fact we've just been dumped out of the WC, it's the fact he's intent on picking names rather than seeing what the underlying problem is.

We have no system, identity, mentality or unique playing style.

He's just told Gerrard to delay his decision about retiring, he wants him for 2016. Why? Steven Gerrard resembles everything that is wrong with the England national team.

Nowt to do with you, you bother about Mexico :rolleyes:  :)

Archived