Roy Hodgson

Day

He deserves a shot at Euro 2016 imo. He's done the right things and ended up on the wrong side of fortune at times. Like people have said, it was always a hiding to nothing. We've played great football under Roy Hodgson which surprises me as he always struck me as a negative hoofball defensive type.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much everyone used to hate Gary Neville in his playing days, then he retired and went to television. Suddenly everyone thinks he's great. Gets a job on the England coaching staff.

Pardew, Bruce, Pearson, pulis and Billy the king Davies don't exactly inspire you. Neville does, he seems passionate about football, he's a straight talker. The England manager job is probably the easiest job in football.

To be fait, its the FA that need replacing more urgently that the managers job.

Pretty much everyone used to hate Gary Neville in his playing days, then he retired and went to television. Suddenly everyone thinks he's great. Gets a job on the England coaching staff.

Pardew, Bruce, Pearson, pulis and Billy the king Davies don't exactly inspire you. Neville does, he seems passionate about football, he's a straight talker. The England manager job is probably the easiest job in football.

To be fait, its the FA that need replacing more urgently that the managers job.

Watching him on Sky, he talks a LOT of sense. Better than any of the other so called "experts" anyway. When he was first put on the England coaching staff, I wasn't happy. But he has shown he has an impeccable understanding of the game and I'm glad we have him now.

I never fail to be amazed by the sheer quantity of garbage that people come out with whenever England fail to perform at a major tournaments.

Standard knee jerk reaction seems to be "sack the manager" & "get rid of the old ones. try the young ones". The same young ones who either performed so abysmally in the last major under-21's tournament to get Stuart Pearce the boot or couldn't even be bothered to turn up to that tournament in the first place.

Fact is there is no instant magic wand that will turn England from habitual under-achievers to real contenders. We've only made the last 4 of our continental competition twice in our entire history - this is a deep seated cultural problem & it boils down to 2 things - English players having poor technique & poor decision making. Our "best" players are generally water-carriers for the foreign stars in the Premier League & this is because English players generally don't have the ability to dictate, control or decide games. Little wonder that when this bunch of over-hyped workmanlike players come together to play at the highest level, they are found wanting.

Until coaching in this country changes dramatically, English players will still be under-represented in our top division & be found out at international level.

A word also about Roy Hodgson. This guy managed Inter twice, took Switzerland to the World Cup at a time when they were a true minnow & took Fulham from relegation certainties to a Europa League Final. He is unquestionably the most qualified English born manager we have. He can only work with the tools he has at his disposal & the uncomfortable truth is, those tools are nowhere near good enough. To even consider replacing him with someone who happened to be a decent ex-player on the basis it worked for Franz Beckenbauer is so wrong, its comical.

Even if England had won the World Cup I would have created the same thread. Hodgson is 66 years old, 70 by time the next World Cup rolls around. It's simply an age issue and nothing against his ability or past achievements. My suggestion for Neville was not made on the basis that it worked for Beckenbauer, that was replying to the "amusing and ridiculous" comment made. 

Even if England had won the World Cup I would have created the same thread. Hodgson is 66 years old, 70 by time the next World Cup rolls around. It's simply an age issue and nothing against his ability or past achievements. My suggestion for Neville was not made on the basis that it worked for Beckenbauer, that was replying to the "amusing and ridiculous" comment made. 

I suppose we're not going to agree on this but I don't see the logic in employing a younger manager simply because we are likely to have a young team going forward. I would rather have the best qualified man for the job particularly because of the ordinary quality of the players. Plus its very unlikely we'd get a quality young manager anyway - they tend to prefer the day to day nature of club football, which is why most international managers are of a "certain vintage"

I suppose we're not going to agree on this but I don't see the logic in employing a younger manager simply because we are likely to have a young team going forward. I would rather have the best qualified man for the job particularly because of the ordinary quality of the players. Plus its very unlikely we'd get a quality young manager anyway - they tend to prefer the day to day nature of club football, which is why most international managers are of a "certain vintage"

Agreed a lot of what you said about Hodgson in your earlier post.

But when/if he goes.... Who would be your choice?

What a younger team needs is strong and clear guidance from more experienced people, like Hodgson. What I like about Hodgson is that he seems very down to earth and it also seems that the players relate to him on a personal and professional level.

But he needs to be brave - he needs to chose players that fit the way he wants to play. 

I hope he stays and I hope he finds the strength to do what he needs to do. He certainly has the opportunity to do so - the tide appears to be against Gerrard and Rooney, whom it seems successive England managers have found it impossible to leave out.

Good idea to employ a forward thinking coach who has done well with man utd, getting rid of old guard at same time.

Of course when it went wrong the we created wally with the brolly and the whole country blamed it on his management skills and dropping beckham.

Times dont change. ...

Agreed a lot of what you said about Hodgson in your earlier post.

But when/if he goes.... Who would be your choice?

If Hodgson went & nationality wasn't an issue, I'd like Guus Hiddink. Pragmatic, well respected & a proven track record at international level.

My choice if only Englishmen were considered would be a pretty controversial one - Glenn Hoddle. I've watched England since 1988 & that 1998 team was the best side I think we've had in that time. A measure of how good he was is to compare his team to the absolute shambles Keegan presided over in Euro 2000.

Granted his decision to publish a World Cup Diary was a diabolical one & his ego was pretty swollen at the time but I think he's an excellent coach with a solid philosophy about how to play the game. He's also done a lot of work developing youngsters at his academy in Spain (so may well suit a youthful England team) & I reckon he'd be much wiser than first time around.

Of course the media would never allow it. They'd frantically campaign for Mourinho who'd tease them for a bit & then we'd end up with Steve Bruce!

Young players, experienced manager. On the face of it, it's a good model. Having an inexperienced manager too means that nobody has any expertise and we'll either go to the top on an "innocent climb" just like Derby this season or we'll sink because the whole national team is lost with little to no experience anywhere in the England setup. And lets face it, it's more likely the latter.

If Hodgson went & nationality wasn't an issue, I'd like Guus Hiddink. Pragmatic, well respected & a proven track record at international level.

My choice if only Englishmen were considered would be a pretty controversial one - Glenn Hoddle. I've watched England since 1988 & that 1998 team was the best side I think we've had in that time. A measure of how good he was is to compare his team to the absolute shambles Keegan presided over in Euro 2000.

Granted his decision to publish a World Cup Diary was a diabolical one & his ego was pretty swollen at the time but I think he's an excellent coach with a solid philosophy about how to play the game. He's also done a lot of work developing youngsters at his academy in Spain (so may well suit a youthful England team) & I reckon he'd be much wiser than first time around.

Of course the media would never allow it. They'd frantically campaign for Mourinho who'd tease them for a bit & then we'd end up with Steve Bruce!

See what you mean with Hiddink.

The diary thing with Hoddle was sealed before the start of that World Cup at was already committed to write it. Obviously looking back it was a tad wrong!

Wouldn't fancy Hoddle now. Just seen an interview he's just done on ITV and he would still have Gerrard and Lampard in the squad!

whilst some would say the england job it the most prestigous of jobs, to be frank its not.

You are not a manager akin to the top league managers,

Your sole job is to pick a group of players and get them to perform together, its got foook all to do with transfers budgets club standards etc

Thats why I think all of these ex players make such good jobs of it,

we need something to get these players going and working together thats it!!!

They have to get the most out of the english players not assemble a squad of anybody

For me,

If I owned real madrid would I give the managers job to Neville and scholes no, but as England 'managers' yes I would

I'll be honest, I cannot stand the way Roy Hodgson sets his teams out. Fulham, Liverpool, England...etc it doesn't seem to matter, he has a certain methodology that rubs me up the wrong way and I don't like it. 

I don't see why he should get time either, we've had the worst World Cup in our history of the competition with a team that isn't that bad. We've got a £30million pound left-back on the bench for crying out loud. 

Anyway, the job of managing a country is hugely differently to one managing a club and takes different types of people. 

You don't need a coach, really. I think you need a good man manager above all else. 

We've got a £30million pound left-back on the bench for crying out loud. 

That's irrelevant though. He's "worth" £30 million because a) he's young, b) he's English & c) he's got a lot of hype around him at the minute. Andy Carroll cost £13 million more than Luis Suarez - who do you think is the better player?

This team is that bad I'm afraid. Its not due to a lack of effort or discontent within the camp or a lack of preparation. Whatever you think about Hodgson's style, his pedigree is without question. Its down to a lack of talent - simple as that.

I'll be honest, I cannot stand the way Roy Hodgson sets his teams out. Fulham, Liverpool, England...etc it doesn't seem to matter, he has a certain methodology that rubs me up the wrong way and I don't like it. 

I don't see why he should get time either, we've had the worst World Cup in our history of the competition with a team that isn't that bad. We've got a £30million pound left-back on the bench for crying out loud. 

Anyway, the job of managing a country is hugely differently to one managing a club and takes different types of people. 

You don't need a coach, really. I think you need a good man manager above all else. 

But that is what they said about Keegan and look at the mess his teams were. 

Archived