Roy Hodgson

Day

So you're advocating offering the biggest management job in the world (in terms of salary) and one of the most prestigious to a player who has zero management experience.

That is both amusing and ridiculous.

You work your way up for an opportunity to manage at the highest level. You don't just get the job because you have a little fire in your belly.

The FA have done the right thing in leaving Roy there for a couple of years. There should be a few more English applicants then...the likes of Steve Bruce and Nigel Pearson for example.

Others are in agreement with me so not that amusing or ridiculous.

Jurgen Klinsmann first ever job? Germany, finished 3rd in the World Cup.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you're advocating offering the biggest management job in the world (in terms of salary) and one of the most prestigious to a player who has zero management experience.

You work your way up for an opportunity to manage at the highest level. You don't just get the job because you have a little fire in your belly.

The FA have done the right thing in leaving Roy there for a couple of years. There should be a few more English applicants then...the likes of Steve Bruce and Nigel Pearson for example.

I dunno..... Juergen Klinsmann ain't doing bad is he?

Looking back Germany have done it a few times, Beckenbaur first job Germany, won the World Cup and came runners up. Rudi Voller, again first job was Germany and finished as runners up in the World Cup.

You can spout examples all you like but IMO, you should have to work your way up to a top job in any walk of life.

Rijkaard first job....Holland.

Bored now but that's Germany, Brazil and Holland that have done the amusing and ridiculous thing by employing managers with zero experience.

Nicely balanced argument there Daveo. I can't be bothered to find anyone who hasn't been a success but I'm willing to bet it's more than have succeeded.

A few posters take the attitude that if you disagree with them then it is "…amusing and ridiculous".

You can sprout examples all you like but IMO, you should have to work your way up to a top job in any walk of life.

Amusing and ridiculous is using "sprout' instead of "spout".

Just saying….

You can sprout examples all you like but IMO, you should have to work your way up to a top job in any walk of life.

Fair enough having that opinion.... And it probably is the right way of doing it.

But it's not got England anywhere of late has it?

That's why in some case the examples he have have actually rung true and worked to some extents. That's why I think it's worth a shout.

Or Roberto Martinez for me....

A few posters take the attitude that if you disagree with them then it is "…amusing and ridiculous".

No, that is my opinion Eddie.

Like it is my opinion that you are out dated, past your sell by date and should put your feet up with your pipe and slippers and do what you do best...put me back on your ignore list before you start crying again.

Fair enough having that opinion.... And it probably is the right way of doing it.

But it's not got England anywhere of late has it?

That's why in some case the examples he have have actually rung true and worked to some extents. That's why I think it's worth a shout.

Or Roberto Martinez for me....

I can see where you're coming from but why hasn't it got us anywhere.

Do we have the divine right to beat these sides? Are we really that good?

I am of the opinion that not one of our players would walk into many of the top squads. Rooney who everyone claims is our best player isn't fit to clean the boots of one or two strikers who weren't considered good enough for other National sides.

We are what we are. A bang average side who have expectations based on the fact that we are lucky enough to have a country which plays host to the biggest league in the world. Even then we barely have any players who are good enough to play for the top sides.

What would Martinez do? Make us start passing the ball? Great...we can pass it all day but what our players lack is what you cannot coach...guile.

I do think Mc you come out with valid opinions at times.... But you don't want a valid debate with anyone but just want to argue the to ss and get wound up.... That's just me. However seeing your last post do agree with some aspects of it. Sorry if I come across as patronising.

I do think Mc you come out with valid opinions at times.... But you don't want a valid debate with anyone but just want to argue the to ss and get wound up.... That's just me. However seeing your last post do agree with some aspects of it. Sorry if I come across as patronising.

Mate, you don't come across as patronising at all. I do have a way with words and I tell it as I see it. If that upsets one or two then what the hell. They can always ignore me! Hell...my wife has me on ignore permanently.

Mate, you don't come across as patronising at all. I do have a way with words and I tell it as I see it. If that upsets one or two then what the hell. They can always ignore me! Hell...my wife has me on ignore permanently.

I must try that with my lady then ;)

Nicely balanced argument there Daveo. I can't be bothered to find anyone who hasn't been a success but I'm willing to bet it's more than have succeeded.

I think you maybe right but I have shown that other countries have taken that path before and to great success so it's not that amusing and ridiculous even if you don't agree.

I just want to see England try something new, we've had the European managers with vast experience, we've had the best of what England can offer us. Hodgson is getting on now, I personally don't like employing foreign managers for your national team and I don't see any options out there at the moment. For me this is the perfect time to try something new.

I think you maybe right but I have shown that other countries have taken that path before and to great success so it's not that amusing and ridiculous even if you don't agree.

I just want to see England try something new, we've had the European managers with vast experience, we've had the best of what England can offer us. Hodgson is getting on now, I personally don't like employing foreign managers for your national team and I don't see any options out there at the moment. For me this is the perfect time to try something new.

OK well let's try something new then.

Let's actually get behind our manager, give him our support and put on a show of solidarity.

That is something we have never done before and maybe it's about time we tried it.

It worked for a certain Mr. Ferguson.

You would have got a 'like' for that but you spoiled it with the last para.

Agree - we may as we'll try something new. No top international candidate is likely to want to take the job with the state of our national pool of players. And then you look at domestic possibilities and there's no one to get excited about. 'Arry, would be useless as he wouldn't be able to (over)spend his way to success, Bruce, Pearson, Pulis, nope. There's Southgate managing the U21s, there's McClaren who's a great coach and arguably better suited to the job now than he was before, and that's about it. Beyond that you'd be as well just giving the job back to Hoddle.

No, that is my opinion Eddie.

Like it is my opinion that you are out dated, past your sell by date and should put your feet up with your pipe and slippers and do what you do best...put me back on your ignore list before you start crying again.

Man, what a humourless, tedious and extremely touchy person you are. 

No change there then.

Archived