'Arrys transfer record

ramblur

Its such a label that Harry doesnt know much tactically, he wouldnt have achieved what he has in football as a player and manager without knowing what he is doing and he knows a lot more about football tactics than any of us im pretty sure of that.

Its like when that idiot Hoddle said Andy Cole needed 6 chances to score when the lad had been prolific at level he had played at.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its such a label that Harry doesnt know much tactically, he wouldnt have achieved what he has in football as a player and manager without knowing what he is doing and he knows a lot more about football tactics than any of us im pretty sure of that.

Its like when that idiot Hoddle said Andy Cole needed 6 chances to score when the lad had been prolific at level he had played at.

I'm a bit surprised that fans who know sooo much about tactics,to the extent that they can criticise proven managers,aren't at the top of the Soton short list.

Its such a label that Harry doesnt know much tactically, he wouldnt have achieved what he has in football as a player and manager without knowing what he is doing and he knows a lot more about football tactics than any of us im pretty sure of that.

Judging by last Saturday Clint Hill knows more...

You don't have to be genius to understand football. It's a game where blokes try to kick a ball in a goal. Do you believe some of these managers are especially intelligent?

How can anyone criticise Paul Jewell? He knows more than all of us can possibly dream of knowing?

Surely the skill is working with people? Getting the best out of people? Not just seeing the problem but actually knowing how to coach.

Do you have to have been a great player like Stuart Pearce to recognise good and bad aspects of a way a team plays? Why is Jose up there and Paul Ince touring the world with his son?

Do many of us have the first clue how to go into a team, work with real people (not little 3D models) everyday and get across what they need to do? To deal with their personalities and work ethic. To actually get 11 blokes to each do what you ask them to. To drill them, get their respect, get them to want to perform etc etc?

Not a clue.

But you can't sit in a stand and recognise what problems teams have unless you've passed your UEFA pro licence. It's that complex of a game is it?

What about if I coach a youth team? Does that give me more insight than most on this forum? Why are we even on this forum? What can we discuss? Managers know best.

I'm not wading into the Redknapp debate. Just the idea that you can't give an opinion that goes against a qualified coach baffles me.

Especially after seeing 3/4 years of people tearing into Nigel Clough for poor man management and negative tactics

Football management is a team game, where all the technical staff have their own little piece to add to the jigsaw.

It annoys me how people think Nigel Clough did everything at this club, ranging from the scouting, negotiating, tactics, man-management, fitness and team building...

Managers have specific roles, and they have their team of scouts, assistants, coaches, sporting directors. etc. who have their own specific roles.

Harry Redknapp is not a coach, not in the slightest. It's even been said, that on occasions he's not even on the training ground guiding his players because he trusts his staff (coaches) to get his idea across.

Managers tend to bring their own styles, and I'd really like to know what style Harry Redknapp brings to QPR. Because their tactics ranged from 'hoof the ball to Austin' to 'get the ball to Hoilett' and then to 'defend in numbers'... They were a nothing team, with no identity other than big-named players thrown together.

At least with Steve McClaren (partly because he is a coach) we have a true identity of playing, which goes very far in football.

I'd like someone to answer me this. When you hear the words Harry Redknapp, what sort of football identity/style do you relate to?

I'd like someone to answer me this. When you hear the words Harry Redknapp, what sort of football identity/style do you relate to?

When I hear the words "Harry Redknapp" I think of his times at WHU,Pompey and Spurs,where he's spent most of his managerial career.At those clubs I remember attractive football-a fluid,passing game played through midfield and with good movement and work ethic.

At QPR,he took on a side that had gained just 4 points out of 12 games and a toxic dressing room (not my words-just read what our own SM,with inside knowledge,had to say about the situation).In such situations,scrapping for wins would have been the order of the day-the 'beautiful game' would have to be shelved.Until the January window,he would have had to make do with the team that had produced this measly return.Even after January he would have been left with the majority of this side.Sure he made a mistake with Samba,probably because he wasn't match fit,but you could see why he went for him.

Onto the Championship season.A lot of teams in QPR type situations flounder badly.QPR had decent midfielders,but they'd spent a lot of time in the Prem,where you have time on the ball.I guess one of the reasons relegated sides tend to struggle is because a lot of them can't  come to terms with life in the Championship,with players in your face all the time.So how best to get out of it -well it's been proved in the past that a strong defence goes a long way,and if you can add a top striker at that level you might just have a chance.I guess that without injuries to key players they might have amassed more points in the normal season.This pragmatic approach gained promotion,so you can hardly knock it.Again,you might listen to the words of our own manager on QPR.

Of course,I can already hear you saying that people in the game aren't going to knock a fellow pro,which conveniently leaves us with the opinions of people like you.

I'll judge HR at QPR when he's been given the chance to finally clear the deadwood and bring in his own men.I then fully expect a return to the passing game that marked much of his career. 

Harry has never had to manage a football club without having a generous budget. That's not his fault of course, he's obviously been offered jobs where the chairman was happy to bankroll him.

A better talking point would probably be whether you think Harry could have done a good job for England.....or even Derby when Nige took over..............

You don't have to be genius to understand football. It's a game where blokes try to kick a ball in a goal. Do you believe some of these managers are especially intelligent?

How can anyone criticise Paul Jewell? He knows more than all of us can possibly dream of knowing?

Surely the skill is working with people? Getting the best out of people? Not just seeing the problem but actually knowing how to coach.

Do you have to have been a great player like Stuart Pearce to recognise good and bad aspects of a way a team plays? Why is Jose up there and Paul Ince touring the world with his son?

Do many of us have the first clue how to go into a team, work with real people (not little 3D models) everyday and get across what they need to do? To deal with their personalities and work ethic. To actually get 11 blokes to each do what you ask them to. To drill them, get their respect, get them to want to perform etc etc?

Not a clue.

But you can't sit in a stand and recognise what problems teams have unless you've passed your UEFA pro licence. It's that complex of a game is it?

What about if I coach a youth team? Does that give me more insight than most on this forum? Why are we even on this forum? What can we discuss? Managers know best.

I'm not wading into the Redknapp debate. Just the idea that you can't give an opinion that goes against a qualified coach baffles me.

Especially after seeing 3/4 years of people tearing into Nigel Clough for poor man management and negative tactics

Yep, I do. But then I am a PE teacher.

Harry has never had to manage a football club without having a generous budget. That's not his fault of course, he's obviously been offered jobs where the chairman was happy to bankroll him.

A better talking point would probably be whether you think Harry could have done a good job for England.....or even Derby when Nige took over..............

I suppose he was bankrolled because the various chairmen/owners considered he'd done well in previous jobs,utch. If you take his most high profile job,Spurs,nobody can take away his 2 fourth place finishes (and nobody has replicated it there since).I thought they played some good stuff,and it showed he could handle the better players.It's on this basis that I think he would have made a good England manager.As far as your last bit goes,I think you could ask that same question of many managers.

Archived