Man City & PSG to be fined £50m FFP

Day

Manchester City and Paris St-Germain are facing fines in the region of €60m (£50m), restrictions on their Champions League squad size and a wage limit for failing Uefa financial fair play rules.

BBC Sport has learned the two - among nine clubs under examination by Uefa for failing the governing body's "break even" test - face similar penalties.

It is believed a Champions League squad reduction could see the clubs restricted to using anywhere between 18 and 21 players in Uefa's premier competition.

A normal squad size is 25.

A wage cap could also be introduced on the errant clubs to ensure there is no rise on this season's squad wage bill for the Champions League.

It is thought clubs have until Friday to agree a "settlement" with Uefa.

Failure to agree a deal would see a club referred to an adjudicatory panel in June where a non-negotiable penalty would be applied.

At that stage clubs could then seek a final appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland.

Under Uefa's FFP rules, clubs can lose no more than £37m (€45m) over the previous two seasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27290532

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't quite get the logic of this 'reaching a settlement' malarchy - they knew the rules that they had to obey and they've carried on regardless - they should apply the punishment as originally stated and move on to the next culprits....

Good to see UEFA getting tough by asking both sides how much they'd like to be fined.

"Under Uefa's FFP rules, clubs can lose no more than £37m (€45m) over the previous two seasons."

Lol

The likes of Man City and PSG are not going to be unduly affected by cash penalties.

Points deductions would be far more likely to make them conform.

Totally agree. If tou're prepared to spend those eye-watering amounts of money to buy success, a few measly millions is a small price to pay. Hit 'em where it hurts - points deductions, they can't really afford that.

Totally agree. If tou're prepared to spend those eye-watering amounts of money to buy success, a few measly millions is a small price to pay. Hit 'em where it hurts - points deductions, they can't really afford that.

and possible suspension from European football.

and possible suspension from European football.

Not sure that would happen these days for anything other than extreme violence, too much money at stake internationally if you ban PSG/Man City from Europe... fining them though, who does the money go to? And can it be trusted that money from penalty fines doesn't find itself in a few back pockets?

Not sure that would happen these days for anything other than extreme violence, too much money at stake internationally if you ban PSG/Man City from Europe... fining them though, who does the money go to? And can it be trusted that money from penalty fines doesn't find itself in a few back pockets?

unfortunately I imagine the majority of it goes in back pockets, just like "agents fees" and "signing on fees"

The same Man C who our own Tom Glick went to? Someone who seemed well versed in everything to do with complying to FFP rules? Hmmmmm.

(And the same TG who got done for speeding last month.... can't be doing that in posh Cheshire dear).

I know that, all I mean is I'm surprised this has happened - surely he must have seen or noticed summat going off or being said and he could have stopped it by telling somebody? Guess not in this case but when he was with us I saw a couple of interviews where he talked a lot about FFP and how important it was that all clubs had to be ready for it.

Just odd imo tis all.

I know that, all I mean is I'm surprised this has happened - surely he must have seen or noticed summat going off or being said and he could have stopped it by telling somebody? Guess not in this case but when he was with us I saw a couple of interviews where he talked a lot about FFP and how important it was that all clubs had to be ready for it.

Just odd imo tis all.

I just think they're too rich to care.

Another example of how UEFA panders to the rich and powerful clubs. If Man City break the rules and are fined. So what? Small change. If Lokomotive Dipshit of Albania break the rules and get fined they go bust.

In effect this mean City can ignore the rules, but poorer clubs have to abide by them.

Run this fair play stuff by me again please.

I think Manchester City in particular need to be careful.

They're not a United, Liverpool, Arsenal or even Chelsea. They're a small club, relatively speaking, who are backed incredibly well.

I feel if UEFA are to ever make a big example of someone, a team like Monaco or Manchester City would be perfect to do so. 

Archived