Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was actually 10 games in a row. With 8 clean sheets in those 10 games.

But of course he doesn't know how to build a winning side.

It was his mentality here, as he lived in the area for so long and knew a number of fans I believe it affected his bravery in games and stopped him going for the win. Holding on for a draw at Barnsley, sending on Gjokai for Martin when we had equalised was the final straw for me. That yo me said said he didn't have what it takes to get us promoted.

At Sheff Utd it is like the shackles have been taken off him and he has done a decent job there.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was his mentality here, as he lived in the area for so long and knew a number of fans I believe it affected his bravery in games and stopped him going for the win. Holding on for a draw at Barnsley, sending on Gjokai for Martin when we had equalised was the final straw for me. That yo me said said he didn't have what it takes to get us promoted.

At Sheff Utd it is like the shackles have been taken off him and he has done a decent job there.

Can't argue with any of that.

(apart from the fact that MUST have been LAST season)

He's certainly more relaxed than he ever seemed to be at Pride Park.

That's why I'm a bit calmer as well. I was angry cos I thought Sam Rush had robbed him of his chance of seeing success here just as we were about to explode.

Now that he's back in football and doing well, I don't mind so much.

Everyone has come of it well.

Apart from the lads who STILL want to make him look like an amatuer duck egg who achieved nothing.

9 of the 11 who start on Saturday and probably 14 of the 18 suggest he must have got big parts of his  job right.

Can't argue with any of that.

(apart from the fact that MUST have been LAST season)

He's certainly more relaxed than he ever seemed to be at Pride Park.

That's why I'm a bit calmer as well. I was angry cos I thought Sam Rush had robbed him of his chance of seeing success here just as we were about to explode.

Now that he's back in football and doing well, I don't mind so much.

Everyone has come of it well.

Apart from the lads who STILL want to make him look like an amatuer duck egg who achieved nothing.

9 of the 11 who start on Saturday and probably 14 of the 18 suggest he must have got big parts of his  job right.

Nigel cannot fail to have noticed that Steve has taken the shackles off and allowed them to play without fear of retribution, i reckon he's learn't from this and will ultimately become a successful manager. 

I think he's just learned alot of lessons from his time at Derby, like everyone learns from their previous jobs.

I agree, I think while he was here he was genuinely afraid to go 451/433. Everytime he did it their were chants of "442". Even at the start of this season, I thought he was onto a winner with 433, Hendrick and Bryson in the engine room and Hughes given the licence to roam, then obviously we conceded that last minute equaliser and we never went 433 again. It was like he was scared to play it.

This, and his huge failure the acknowledge the necessity of a good defensive coach have proved to be his downfall.

I agree, I think while he was here he was genuinely afraid to go 451/433. Everytime he did it their were chants of "442". Even at the start of this season, I thought he was onto a winner with 433, Hendrick and Bryson in the engine room and Hughes given the licence to roam, then obviously we conceded that last minute equaliser and we never went 433 again. It was like he was scared to play it.

This, and his huge failure the acknowledge the necessity of a good defensive coach have proved to be his downfall.

I may be wrong but didnt clough say we didnt have the players to play 433?

Anyway this will never be over, cloughs fans will always say that we would have done the same under clough it was a matter of time, us who wanted clough to go will say the change has been a success.

Im amazed some people dont think we play that different than we did under clough as through my eyes we are more orgainsed, the players play with freedom and actually look like they have a team purpose to get forward and score goals. Clough is showing what he is, a decent manager but his time here was up as the club has gone flat. The club is the most important thing so lets go and enjoy Wembley

We all look at it slightly differently i suppose. 

I don't see any problem in someone believing Clough did a great job while at the same time relishing the improvement McClaren, Simmo and Eric have brought to the club.

I have doubts whether Mac would have done as well as Nige in the post-Davies/Jewell era, but who knows?

No trolling from me, fishing rod is packed away this is my genuine opinion and I know mcsilks, ronnie won't agree but that's football.

I was against appointing Clough from the start

Had he not been Brian's son he would never have been appointed

His coaching setup I can't comment on, I don't know how others can either without being at the training sessions

I actually think he should have gone after our relegation near miss (when Sheff Utd went down)

Some of his signings were great and bringing through Hughes, Hendrick and Bennett will be huge for us, others not so

Some of the treatment of players was shocking, Moxey and Cwyka most notably

The Nigel is a racist thing was utter bullish!t

The football was far too inconsistent, home we played some decent football, away from home we seemed to play for a 0-0

Substitutions and timings left me speechless at times

I wish he had bigger balls

Press conferences was dull and often wondered if he watched the same game

Nigel was a moped limited to 30mph, he may have got us to our destination eventually but it would have been an uncomfortable and slow journey. We've upgraded to an Aston Martin Vanquish, we will get to our destination quicker, in comfort and style.

I also had a head in hands moment when McClaren was linked to us, I was hoping it was just an easy name to throw in given the connections to the club and being ex Forest. I feared the worst when he was appointed but those were soon calmed a little at the end of the Ipswich home game.

The Derby team now is unrecognisable, why this is I have no idea but players like Grant and Keogh look totally different, was it the manager, coaching? Like I say I'm not sure but whatever it is I'm thankful for as supporting Derby has become a lot more enjoyable this season.

No trolling from me, fishing rod is packed away this is my genuine opinion and I know mcsilks, ronnie won't agree but that's football.

I was against appointing Clough from the start

Had he not been Brian's son he would never have been appointed

His coaching setup I can't comment on, I don't know how others can either without being at the training sessions

I actually think he should have gone after our relegation near miss (when Sheff Utd went down)

Some of his signings were great and bringing through Hughes, Hendrick and Bennett will be huge for us, others not so

Some of the treatment of players was shocking, Moxey and Cwyka most notably

The Nigel is a racist thing was utter bullish!t

The football was far too inconsistent, home we played some decent football, away from home we seemed to play for a 0-0

Substitutions and timings left me speechless at times

I wish he had bigger balls

Press conferences was dull and often wondered if he watched the same game

Nigel was a moped limited to 30mph, he may have got us to our destination eventually but it would have been an uncomfortable and slow journey. We've upgraded to an Aston Martin Vanquish, we will get to our destination quicker, in comfort and style.

I also had a head in hands moment when McClaren was linked to us, I was hoping it was just an easy name to throw in given the connections to the club and being ex Forest. I feared the worst when he was appointed but those were soon calmed a little at the end of the Ipswich home game.

The Derby team now is unrecognisable, why this is I have no idea but players like Grant and Keogh look totally different, was it the manager, coaching? Like I say I'm not sure but whatever it is I'm thankful for as supporting Derby has become a lot more enjoyable this season.

I agree with a whole lot of that.

Some of his decision making was poor and we were inconsistent almost to the point where I was pulling my own hair out.

That said, there were some pretty major extenuating circumstances and it was for those that I for one gave him a slightly longer leash.

What a pairing McClaren and Clough would make. Clough has shown he has an eye for finding some real gems and McClaren clearly has the coaching credentials that maybe Clough is lacking.

How has this thread managed to last so long, it's an easy answer for me.

He did a good job, with a better coaching staff I would argue he could have done a great job. I look forward to seeing what he can achieve next season with players he has scouted under us... McNulty is rumoured to be signing soon, for instance. 

McClaren HAS done a great job though, he has done what Clough showed promise of doing. No-one can argue that.

So therefore, who knows what could have been under Clough - I would argue we could have made the play-offs but am in no doubts it would have been so comfortable. 

Archived