FL72 Preview: Steve McClaren targets play-offs 'after dramatic surge'

Day

Derby head coach Steve McClaren says his job is as much about managing expectations as it is about winning matches this season.

The Rams have enjoyed a resurgence since the former England boss took over in September and are currently fourth in the Championship ahead of Monday's visit of QPR.

McClaren told FL72 - Previewthat while it is his ambition to secure promotion to the Premier League, the players shouldn't feel that pressure.

"The first stage couldn't have gone any better, really," he said. "I think we're way ahead - we've gone by all expectations, over-achieving with what we've got.

"Some of the football that we've played and some of the goals that we've scored [have been great]. I've been sat in the Directors' Box, applauding some of the play that the team is producing.

"That, for me, is what we wanted to achieve in the first step; to get the balance right we need to concede less goals and keep the goals going to take us to where we want to go.

"I don't think we have the squad and the experience to go up automatically like Leicester, like Queen's Park Rangers. Burnley are keeping going as well.

"I think that kind of inexperience could be our downfall in the end but all we're doing, and all we said when we came in, was we want to provide some excitement and at least be in and around the play-off situation come the end of the season. That's still our target."

He added: "Getting to the Premier League is the ambition. The expectations of everyone around Derby and the country have gone sky high because the surge has been so dramatic, from 14th to fourth. It has caught everybody's imagination and the expectation is now growing.

"We are certainly relaxed about things. Maybe we call it the innocent climb - we don't quite know what we're doing, which is good, because we are playing without pressure. But sooner or later the pressure will come on - and it probably starts on Monday against QPR."

McClaren says he still gets a buzz from passing on his experience to players of all ages and is looking forward to working with Derby's latest recruits, in particular Chelsea forward Patrick Bamford and Liverpool defender Andre Wisdom, who have both joined the club on loan.

"The best thing about this job is the satisfaction you get through developing players, whether they are John Eustace, who is 34, or Will Hughes, who is 18," he reflected.

"Teams like Chelsea and Liverpool are producing a lot of talent that needs experience - we are giving them that experience.

"I saw Andre in the Premier League; he's come in and got on with the job straight away and done very well. Patrick Bamford is exactly the same.

"He is unfazed by anything. He comes off the bench and plays as if he's been playing in our team for the last three years."

Opportunity

Last summer McClaren joined QPR as part of Harry Redknapp's backroom team after resigning as FC Twente boss but while his spell there reinforced the high regard he holds the Rangers boss in, he insists that it won't give Derby an advantage in Monday's game against the Londoners.

"Harry knows everybody - his knowledge is second to none, as is his enthusiasm for the game," said McClaren. "He wants to win and he treats players well.

"Ultimately, he is successful because he gets good players and gets them playing football that is attractive and is winning football.

"Harry gave me the opportunity to go in and have a look without the pressure of managing. Sometimes as a manager you endure, rather than enjoy your work. We went to QPR and lost 2-1 so I didn't gain a tactical advantage from going there!"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9154142/fl72-preview-steve-mcclaren-targets-play-offs-after-dramatic-surge

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thinking about it - he doesn't have a leg to stand on when he talks about experience. He could have easily fixed that, rather than bringing in: Wisdom (20) Bamford (20) Thorne (21) Dawkins (26) Roos (21) and Whitbread (29).. Whitbread being an exception - Dawkins is 26, but still inexperienced.

I don't agree with his comments, experience on the whole counts for very little IMO - I believe it's a myth that it does. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

I believe we should be setting the bar a little bit higher IMO. 

I don't really believe that he thinks we can't get automatic, in the same way I don't buy anything Mourinho says about Chelsea not being title contenders.

This kind of interview is all about managing expectations of the press/fans and managing the pressure on our squad and ramping it up on the teams above us. Whether it works is a different matter, but I rarely take these kind of comments at face value.

"We are certainly relaxed about things. Maybe we call it the innocent climb - we don't quite know what we're doing, which is good, because we are playing without pressure. But sooner or later the pressure will come on - and it probably starts on Monday against QPR."

Don't tell Nige anyone !!!!

thinking about it - he doesn't have a leg to stand on when he talks about experience. He could have easily fixed that, rather than bringing in: Wisdom (20) Bamford (20) Thorne (21) Dawkins (26) Roos (21) and Whitbread (29).. Whitbread being an exception - Dawkins is 26, but still inexperienced.

I don't agree with his comments, experience on the whole counts for very little IMO - I believe it's a myth that it does. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Not really, he his talking about the pressure and having that experience enables you to cope with it better.

Had he brought in players with experience, it could have been at the detriment of the ability, and we wouldnt be where we are now, so far he has one window to address this, the other teams he refers to have the players that have been up in these dizzy heights, this is new to us.

He is also talking about at least being in or around, why add more pressure by saying we should be within the top 2.

That's two votes for BMO from the same person. There's democracy for you.

The first paragraph says he is "managing expectations". Nuff said!

Perhaps I'm of a different mindset, I just don't quite see the benefit on 'managing expectations' - the expectation should be to win every game, even if we're the massive underdogs, otherwise what's the point? 

No one is going to demand automatic promotion, or even the playoffs but a rally cry wouldn't go a miss, not a dour message that comes across we're not strong enough to compete with the teams around us due to whatever reason.

In the recent past we've had our expectations managed to the point of extinction.

It's a new era and I demand the right to manage my own expectations; I don't need any expectation contraception; I can handle it all on my own and what great expectations I have.

That aside, bit of a non-article really, he's only telling us what he's already said before.

Perhaps I'm of a different mindset, I just don't quite see the benefit on 'managing expectations' - the expectation should be to win every game, even if we're the massive underdogs, otherwise what's the point? 

No one is going to demand automatic promotion, or even the playoffs but a rally cry wouldn't go a miss, not a dour message that comes across we're not strong enough to compete with the teams around us due to whatever reason.

Mac and the team will be focused on the top two. No doubt about it. Managing expectations means the fans expectations. If most fans are told we are only going for the play offs then most don't get too upset when/if we drop a few points. It takes the pressure, just a little bit, off the players from the crowd. That's the theory anyway.

The way we play, I've barely known a Derby side set up to win so often - QPR away being the only time we didn't seem to be after the 3 points.

Going into each game with the intention of winning isn't quite the same thing as telling the players in February that missing out on promotion will be a failure. Because it wouldn't be.

In terms of managing expectations, he's got to find the balance between the desire to win each match and not letting the players beat themselves too hard when they don't. On the evidence so far, the management have done a wonderful job.

I'd honestly love to play under a manager who said this. He's not putting the pressure on the task of promotion, he just wants me to develop as a young footballer and play positive, attacking football. I don't think that's a dour message at all.

Mac and the team will be focused on the top two. No doubt about it. Managing expectations means the fans expectations. If most fans are told we are only going for the play offs then most don't get too upset when/if we drop a few points. It takes the pressure, just a little bit, off the players from the crowd. That's the theory anyway.

The fans would be pretty dense to think we are only going for the play-offs cuz Steve told 'em to think that.

How can you only go for the play-offs anyway; throw a couple of games if our points tally is getting a little high?

It would have irked me a little less if he just said "we're aiming to finish as high up the league as we can". Easy, no false promises, no hopes raised.

The way we play, I've barely known a Derby side set up to win so often - QPR away being the only time we didn't seem to be after the 3 points.

Going into each game with the intention of winning isn't quite the same thing as telling the players in February that missing out on promotion will be a failure. Because it wouldn't be.

In terms of managing expectations, he's got to find the balance between the desire to win each match and not letting the players beat themselves too hard when they don't. On the evidence so far, the management have done a wonderful job.

I'd honestly love to play under a manager who said this. He's not putting the pressure on the task of promotion, he just wants me to develop as a young footballer and play positive, attacking football. I don't think that's a dour message at all.

I guess it works on different people. 

I'd want to feel down after a loss, I'd want to feel like the world is falling apart between my feet... Every win should feel like job done, every draw should feel like a loss and every loss should feel like a close family member has passed away.

All or nothing, but that's me. This part of the season is life changing for the majority of these players, they should be waking up each morning with tents on, ready for training..  :ph34r:  :lol:

The fans would be pretty dense to think we are only going for the play-offs cuz Steve told 'em to think that.

How can you only go for the play-offs anyway; throw a couple of games if our points tally is getting a little high?

It would have irked me a little less if he just said "we're aiming to finish as high up the league as we can". Easy, no false promises, no hopes raised.

I don't disagree with you but if the message through the media is play offs play offs play offs, guess what, we talk about playoffs.

But he's trying to play down the pressure of expectation with a team that no one thought would be challenging for the playoffs never mind automatic promotion.

The team doesn't need that pressure they need to be able to play their natural game without fans expectations.

Talk about me being demanding with Buxton your the one that's more demanding here.

No way should we be favourite against QPR with our defense!

Archived