George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Eustace was brought in it was as a player to bring on the sure up the defence wasn't it? I think he would be good to bring on in the last few minutes...he has been wrong footed a couple of times recently and it's ended up in our net so I think this would be decent...young player and cheap wages what have we got to lose

It's a funny one, because statistically he hasn't been quite upto scratch.

as pointed out by the ones I put up earlier:

his pass completion is the 15th best in our side.

He makes on average less successful tackles per game than both Hughes and Bryson.

Makes on average more fouls than any other player in our side per game.

He gets skinned at the same rate as Bryson and Hughes.

and only makes 37.2 passes per game, which in comparison with Thorne's 60 odd is pittance. 

He does have good points to his game, but it does point out that for what he is supposed to bring to the team... it's not really upto standard for me.

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but at the same time - stats prove whether you're doing a job well or not, you can't hide behind facts.

He makes on average less successful tackles per game than both Hughes and Bryson.

and only makes 37.2 passes per game, which in comparison with Thorne's 60 odd is pittance. 

He does have good points to his game, but it does point out that for what he is supposed to bring to the team... it's not really upto standard for me.

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but at the same time - stats prove whether you're doing a job well or not, you can't hide behind facts.

I have to say, Eustace for me has been outstanding in most games. He's made a couple of mistakes that led to goals (last night's 1st and Cywka's against Barnsley are two that spring to mind) but on balance, his impact on the side has been remarkable. I don't think it's any coincidence that we're conceding less goals now, when playing a more defensive minded midfielder. His experience has also been beneficial to the team at times; he very rarely gives the ball away and knows how to see out a game.

Overall, I think he's been a great acquisition and a massive bonus to have in the squad, and if he is replaced by a new CDM, they will have to play very well to keep Eustace out of the side. 

I have to say, Eustace for me has been outstanding in most games. He's made a couple of mistakes that led to goals (last night's 1st and Cywka's against Barnsley are two that spring to mind) but on balance, his impact on the side has been remarkable. I don't think it's any coincidence that we're conceding less goals now, when playing a more defensive minded midfielder. His experience has also been beneficial to the team at times; he very rarely gives the ball away and knows how to see out a game.

Overall, I think he's been a great acquisition and a massive bonus to have in the squad, and if he is replaced by a new CDM, they will have to play very well to keep Eustace out of the side. 

I like Eustace because he has offered something different, however, I am under no illusions that he could be replaced.

You expect your DCM to put tackles in and make more passes than any other player on the pitch - I feel that Thorne is the better player, despite the experience of Eustace being a huge loss.

I think Eustace has done well but at the minute he is still our weak point for me.

We need a defender in now Keane's loan is up, and we need cover for that holding role, or a better player than Eustace if possible. I'd sat this one is a serious shout, and that another defender will arrive too, although possibly this will end up being Keane back.

We need a defender in now Keane's loan is up, and we need cover for that holding role, or a better player than Eustace if possible. I'd sat this one is a serious shout, and that another defender will arrive too, although possibly this will end up being Keane back.

Thorne can play centre half I believe.

We're only allowed 5 loans in the 18-man lineup:

If Thorne comes and we keep Keane, that would be:

Wisdom

Keane

Whitbread

Thorne

Bamford

My expectation is that Keane will go back to Man U now Whitbread appears fit and we'll hold a slot open for an emergency loan if it ends up being needed.

I guess this is the second choice now Cork is back playing again for Southampton (what a shame that was). A good area to strengthen, but Eustace is also an older, more experienced head, which we may miss if he doesn't play.

Eustace is an experienced head in a young team. He does more marshalling of our defence than Keogh and would make a good captain. However, his age means he cannot be expected to put his body on the line week after week and cover would be sensible. It does worry me the number of times a Derby player puts a weak challenge in around the middle of the pitch, sometimes even turning their back. I hope if Thorne comes in he is the type of player who knows how to do the grunt work as well as the silky stuff.

We're only allowed 5 loans in the 18-man lineup:

If Thorne comes and we keep Keane, that would be:

Wisdom

Keane

Whitbread

Thorne

Bamford

My expectation is that Keane will go back to Man U now Whitbread appears fit and we'll hold a slot open for an emergency loan if it ends up being needed.

I guess this is the second choice now Cork is back playing again for Southampton (what a shame that was). A good area to strengthen, but Eustace is also an older, more experienced head, which we may miss if he doesn't play.

I believe the Wisdom or Bamford loans will not be included in the 5 as they are on a season long loan. And it is only short term loans that count.

In an ideal world, I think we could do with two players;

1) Defensive midfielder - we have no viable cover option for Eustace. 

2) Utility fullback, ie. one that can play either side. 

Everywhere else I think we have bags of options, but those two could be problem areas if we pick up a few injuries.

Thorne played for a side in the bottom half of the table which really makes the tackling stats redundant.. Eustace will have had less chance to make as many tackles in a winning side that has more of the ball. 

What these stats can't show is that he's good at breaking up the play as required of him.. something I really like him for. Making more fouls than other players again could actually be a plus as he's there to stop the opposition attacking and do a job. 

His passing is pretty poor, hence the low completion rate, but then that's why we have creative midfielders and the play often bypasses Eustace because of this, which I think works well.

Basically stats are very misleading, not just a bit...

If ever there was a missed opportunity to sign players.........

It's a tricky one. Buy players who are not necessarily going to cut it in the Premier League but are experienced Championship campaigners, get promoted, there's perhaps a lot needing replacing before a ball is kicked next season. Buy players who ARE going to cut it in the Premier League, slip up in the playoffs, end up lumbered with a load of players who think they're better than they are, probably on big money, need to offload, nobody wants them. On the other hand, loan players, get promoted, need to buy a lot of quality - or loan players, fail to get promoted, still need to buy next season because we're unlikely to be able to hang on to all of Hendrick, Bryson and Hughes and the loanees return.

It's one that requires careful thought and planning. Luckily that's not our job.  

The Eustace stats are very misleading IMO.  He is only 15th in passing completion, but he is only a handful of percentage points off the top 5, and there are also a lot of guys ahead of him that have only played a few games (Smith, Freeman, Davies, Keane, Coutts etc).  And he has also made more clearances than the rest of the midfield, which are far more likely to be a loss of possession, but are necessary because he's playing deeper than the other midfielders. 

He might only make 37 passes a game, but he's 7th on the list, with the current back 4 and Hughes/Bryson just ahead of him.  Thorne might make 60 passes a game, but that's a crazy high figure (15 passes a game more than Hughes, for example).  I'd like to see the stats for the other guys playing in midfield with him, as I suspect you'll find that he is monopolising possession, whereas it gets split a lot more evenly between our midfielders.  And when in possession, a defensive midfielders job isn't to make lots of passes, it's to be available for passes if he's needed.  The fact he's not getting as many passes is probably a consequence of Hughes being good enough get his head up and play forward passes.

And he might have made less tackles than most, but he averages the most interceptions of anyone in our team.  A tackle is a last resort defensively, an interception is far better.  Hughes and Bryson can afford to make more tackles because they are further up the pitch, so committing a foul has less severe consequences, which is why they're making more tackles,

Eustace has the experience which doesn't show up in stats.

I think the issue we can all see with him is that he's too slow. People can ghost round him with a drop of the shoulder quite often and once he's ripped them up and got his booking, he can't make a tackle for the rest of the game.

Archived