2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.

ladyram

Not long now, just over a week until it all kicks off. Had some great pictures tweeted, one being from the top of the ski jump which amusingly shows the complete absence of snow. In fact, whoever took it was wearing shorts.

Really looking forward to watching all the different events but it's not all going to be shiny gold medals if terrorists have anything to do with it. Worrying noises coming from security and I think the Hungarian Team have already had death threats, along with Al Kaeda promising to give visitors 'a gift'.

Unbelievable.

Anyway, I think it's great that Jamaica have a bobsleigh team :-D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, looking at that picture - if you take off from the left hand slope - and it's windy - you're gonna land on top of the spectator stand...

Hmm...where to begin. Normally LR ( obviously living in Sweden) its just as exciting a time as when the football world cup is on or summer olympics. The media build up through TV, print media, internet platforms are at full crescendo. This is how it has been at every previous winter Olympics... But not this time.

The focus has been massively on the Olympic committee's choice of country, the politics and morals of that country, the insane expenditure of Russia's show of power in putting these games on, the mayor of Sochi saying there are " zero homosexual people" in his city, Pussy Riot, Prime Ministers, Presidents, Ambassadors, Sporting Ministers not going, athletes ( 3 now from Sweden) refusing to take part etc. It was a dreadful choice to put this games on in Russia. Just as giving the World Cup to them in 2018 will prove to be.

To give a better context of expenditure, Russia has already spent more than the total cost of every previous Winter Olympics added together. There has been an 118 kilometre road built in the east entry to the city of Sochi called " Vladimir Putin way"!!!

The whole thing is just disgraceful to me and I shall be watching precious little..unless Sweden play the White Hockey final v those vodka guzzling loonies from Cissieville.

Yes LR..sadly these normally fantastic games have been allowed to turn into the Putin games whereby Russia can show off its might and power to the planet. I wish all the athletes ( and footballers for 2018) would just say " nope..not doing this..there are things more important in this world"! Wont be holding my breath though.

I can't blame the athletes going there. They have worked their whole lives for Olympic medals and for many this is their only/ the last chance. In team sports it is easier but for somebody in sports like skiing the age you are on top is so narrow that everybody has only one or two Olympic games in which they are ideally shaped.

I'd go if I was them. You'd have to, can't let the terrorists win with their fanatical nonsense.

Just have to be careful, they've already been told not to wear their Olympic kits outside the team villages. I remember that happening at another Games years back.

What's with some of the human race, intent only on destroying others? Sad and depressing :-(

Each to their own. I wouldnt go. Too high a price.

I admire you for that. I must admit that if I was 25 year old skier in top of my trade I wouldn't hesitate to go. Knowing that at age 29 I might be over the hill or injured and having done the work for it about 15 years I wouldn't some asshole like Putin ruin it for me.

I would however make some kind of scandalous interview trashing Vladimir in live tv.

I admire you for that. I must admit that if I was 25 year old skier in top of my trade I wouldn't hesitate to go. Knowing that at age 29 I might be over the hill or injured and having done the work for it about 15 years I wouldn't some asshole like Putin ruin it for me.

I would however make some kind of scandalous interview trashing Vladimir in live tv.

Make sure you do that interview once you are back in Finland.....

On 2nd thoughts I can see the headline in about 2017 now... " Finnish Olympic skiing champions dies of mysterious blood poisoning"

Archived