Pochettino to leave Southampton?

Day

Sky Sports News understands Southampton's executive chairman Nicola Cortese has handed in his written resignation.

If Cortese's departure is confirmed, Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino's future could be in serious doubt.

Sky sources indicate, however, that Cortese is not in discussion with another club in Italy, despite several media reports.

Cortese considered leaving St Mary's in May of last year after stressing to owner Katharina Liebherr that he was concerned about the future direction of the club.

At the time, Pochettino stressed that his involvement at Southampton was dependent on his chairman remaining at the club.

"If (he) Cortese doesn't work here... I would not understand a Southampton with Nicola being here," he said.

"The person who has put his faith in me at Southampton is Nicola Cortese."

Cortese, a former Swiss banker, fronted a deal on behalf of the Leibherr family to buy Southampton in 2009 when the club was in administration and in League One.

Since then, Southampton have spent more than £72million in the transfer market, breaking the club's record transfer fee three times - signing Jay Rodriguez from Burnley for £6m in June 2012, Gaston Ramirez from Bologna for £12m in August of the same year and then Dani Osvaldo for a fee reported to be close to £13m last summer.

There has so far been no comment from Southampton.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9117086/sky-sources-nicola-cortese-hands-in-resignation-at-southampton

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sky Sports News understands Southampton's executive chairman Nicola Cortese has handed in his written resignation.

If Cortese's departure is confirmed, Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino's future could be in serious doubt.

Sky sources indicate, however, that Cortese is not in discussion with another club in Italy, despite several media reports.

Cortese considered leaving St Mary's in May of last year after stressing to owner Katharina Liebherr that he was concerned about the future direction of the club.

At the time, Pochettino stressed that his involvement at Southampton was dependent on his chairman remaining at the club.

"If (he) Cortese doesn't work here... I would not understand a Southampton with Nicola being here," he said.

"The person who has put his faith in me at Southampton is Nicola Cortese."

Cortese, a former Swiss banker, fronted a deal on behalf of the Leibherr family to buy Southampton in 2009 when the club was in administration and in League One.

Since then, Southampton have spent more than £72million in the transfer market, breaking the club's record transfer fee three times - signing Jay Rodriguez from Burnley for £6m in June 2012, Gaston Ramirez from Bologna for £12m in August of the same year and then Dani Osvaldo for a fee reported to be close to £13m last summer.

There has so far been no comment from Southampton.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9117086/sky-sources-nicola-cortese-hands-in-resignation-at-southampton

I read something to that effect earlier on BBC.

Must be worrying times for Saints fans.

Staying

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9118756/mauricio-pochettino-staying-at-southampton-despite-boardroom-turmoil

Mauricio Pochettino is staying as Southampton manager despite Nicola Cortese's resignation on Wednesday.

The Argentine said last May he could not see a future for himself at St Mary's if his chairman were to leave the club.

But less than 24 hours after differences with Southampton owner Katarina Liebherr led Cortese to quit, Pochettino made it clear he would not be following.

He told Saints Player: "I am staying as manager. I have a professional responsibility to everyone at the club and the fans."

Pochettino then faced the press and was asked why his comments back in May no longer applied.

He said: "They are completely different situations. Eight months ago I was finishing my first season, and I did say it would make no sense for me to be here without Nicola.

Archived