"You learn something new every day"

May Contain Nuts

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The expression 'beyond the Pale' comes from 16th/17th century Ireland, where the 'Pale' was the area around Dublin which was administrated by the Dublin government. Beyond the Pale refers to the rest of Ireland which was run on a fuedal basis with local gentry dispensing justice and raising taxes.

I've learned that the first ever youtube video was posted on April 23rd 2005, which was my 19th Birthday.

I've also learned that the first ever episode of TV series 'Lost' was in September 2004.

These 2 facts do NOT correlate in my brain. No way could the first episode (the first 20, in fact) of Lost have come before the first ever Youtube video.... but it's true, and I'm feeling very confused.

Vietnam is the worlds 2nd biggest exporter of coffee,

And

Sugar prevents cement from setting.

Though why anyone would put cement down then sprinkle sugar on it is beyond me.

Wierdos.

Sugar prevents cement from setting.

This is just the kind of thing that makes membership of this forum worthwhile. Thank you.

But surely it shouldn't be left to the likes of us to give the wider community such vital information. What's the government doing? That's what I want to know.

Why oh why oh why isn't there one of them public information films on the BBC to spell it out to the public?

I really don't know why we pay our taxes, I really don't.

Vultures have mega strong stomach acid, so strong it can dissolve bone and destroy bacteria, including anthrax and cholera.

When I taught in Africa. The people would eat everything, snakes, insects etc. The only thing they won't eat is a Vulture.

Archived