Jermain Defoe Retires

Day

Lambert over Defoe? You got to be kidding me! Two different types of player but bloody hell, Defoe has done it regularly with different Premier League sides over the years. Agreed not the top top teams but still manage to bang in the goals. If we are over rating anyone it's Lambert.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That list is simply the top goal scorers in the Premier League era (Lampard isn't a striker you know). I guess that's one way of assessing a striker's ability but as with most things it's difficult to compare eras and the opportunities/service obviously vary from player to player.

For interest, Defoe is 14th in that list with 124 goals and 5th out of active players, behind Lampard, Rooney, RVP and Anelka.

Personally I'd still have him in the England squad despite him being some way past his best.

That list is simply the top goal scorers in the Premier League era (Lampard isn't a striker you know). I guess that's one way of assessing a striker's ability but as with most things it's difficult to compare eras and the opportunities/service obviously vary from player to player.

For interest, Defoe is 14th in that list with 124 goals and 5th out of active players, behind Lampard, Rooney, RVP and Anelka.

Personally I'd still have him in the England squad despite him being some way past his best.

Lampard isn't a striker but he's got more goals then Defoe who is the best finisher in the league?

I could put up four or five different lists and they'd all say pretty much the same thing.

I'm not questioning Defoes ability by the way, I'm questioning that he's the best natural finisher in the game and that somehow most of us have missed what Mostyn has spotted.

if he was the best natural finisher in the game he'd be up there with the best surely? He's had more than 10 years in the Premier League.

In terms of number of goals, he's not top 10, in terms of number of goals per minute, he's not top 10.

What exactly is it he's the best at? Hitting the target?

He's never been a real first choice for England, only getting the odd game here and there, mostly pointless friendlies

Defoe is a brilliant striker, brilliant, if you take away his 130 odd substitute appearances his goals per game is very very good.

I don't doubt it for one minute. What I do doubt is that most of us are missing something by not recognising he's the best or most natural finisher in  the country.

In my opinion he isn't, he wasn't ever.

Doesn't mean I don't rate him.

Lampard 569 games 169 goals

Defoe 380 games 124 goals

Defoe's record looks slightly better when you take into account Lampard has played in a better team and taken free kicks and penalties.

What self respecting forward doesn't take penalties?

There must be a reason why the only manager who seems to like him is Harry Redknapp.

I don't know what that reason is. Perhaps teams don't play to the strengths of that sort of player. Perhaps he just isn't that good.

Defoe is a brilliant striker, brilliant, if you take away his 130 odd substitute appearances his goals per game is very very good.

I don't doubt it for one minute. What I do doubt is that most of us are missing something by not recognising he's the best or most natural finisher in  the country.

In my opinion he isn't, he wasn't ever.

Doesn't mean I don't rate him.

ROnnie, quite simply, look at his goals. Look how cleanly he strikes the ball. Power and accuracy. There's nobody can come close with both feet. Arguably Van Persie with his left, but he shins a load and skews a load and is **** with his right. Arguably Aguero with his right, but he is awful with his left. Suarez can use both feet, but most goals are 4-10 yards from goal.

Archived