Hughes & Powell

Gladram

With a number of people questioning how good Will Hughes is we had a chance on New Years Day to compare him to another rising star in Nick Powell. Powell has had good reviews during his time at Wigan and there is talk of Man U recalling him.

Wigan played a negative game which didn't make the most of Powell's attacking flair but you could see the ability he has and the "simulation" in the box shows he has what is needed to fit in at Man U.

I think Will had a reasonable game. Like most of the team looked tired but you can see his ability to pick a pass and pull the opposition players around. He also again showed that he can do his defensive duties.

Possibly unfair to compare based on one game but I think Will showed why he he can be talked about as a great prospect along with Powell, Keane and Wisdom.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick powell was their best player.

Tbh he was their ONLY player with any attacking flair.

Shiit team who resorted to spoiling tactics because they were frit.

Hughes is special though.

Nick powell was their best player.

Tbh he was their ONLY player with any attacking flair.

Shiit team who resorted to spoiling tactics because they were frit.

Hughes is special though.

Disagree with Powell being best player, thought that Fortune had a decent game, was a battering ram and beat Bucko for pace a lot when chasing lost causes. My MOM

Disagree with Powell being best player, thought that Fortune had a decent game, was a battering ram and beat Bucko for pace a lot when chasing lost causes. My MOM

Was it Fortune that committed that ridiculous challenge where he led with his elbow, or was that someone else?

Was it Fortune that committed that ridiculous challenge where he led with his elbow, or was that someone else?

No don't think it was him

have been reluctant to post this for a few months as it seems a bit harsh, but I've noticed Will Hughes is a lot more reluctant to put his foot in 'bravely' than he was last season.

If I was a cynic, and I probably am! I'd question his all-round commitment since the whole Liverpool saga of the summer window. Undoubtedly, he wants to win and be involved, but last season there were signs he was willing to go into a crunching tackle and come out with the ball..... I'm yet to see that this season.

Powell looked dangerous first half but barely got a kick second. Didn't think he looked anything special tbh, Boyce, fortune and Espinoza all looked better. To say Wigan are a **** team is ridiculous, player for player they have one of the best squads in the league, and their manager said they deliberately resorted to a more direct game on Wednesday to stop our passing game. Now they've got a decent manager in I expect them to be up their challenging.

Thought Hughes had his best game for a while against them, growing more influential as the game went on, and Yorkshire is right about those tackles, one was a sliding tackle with his right, yes right, foot!

have been reluctant to post this for a few months as it seems a bit harsh, but I've noticed Will Hughes is a lot more reluctant to put his foot in 'bravely' than he was last season.

If I was a cynic, and I probably am! I'd question his all-round commitment since the whole Liverpool saga of the summer window. Undoubtedly, he wants to win and be involved, but last season there were signs he was willing to go into a crunching tackle and come out with the ball..... I'm yet to see that this season.

i agree , think Hughes is holding back , a little..

You missed the Wigan game. He made two thundering challenges - almost Bucko-like.

Nick is a very talented footballer, but also a really nice guy who still has both feet on the floor ...

- bit like Will, me thinks!

They probably both have something between their ears too! I'll take the sliding, dispossessing version of Hughes any day - as long as he stays around for some time yet.

Nick is a very talented footballer, but also a really nice guy who still has both feet on the floor ...

- bit like Will, me thinks!

The only wigan player who keeps both feet on the floor then.

Archived