poor atmosphere

ramtique

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're good at singing, making some noise. We're rubbish at supporting.

I love this south stand business, it's great to hear a bit of enthusiasm, but I doubt when Eustace's legs have gone the sound of Dale Cavese keeps him going. I'm sure the ring leaders of the South Stand movement didn't have the motivation and support of the players in mind when starting this up - more, the fans matchday experience. Which is fine, not a criticism at all, just an observation.

I'd much rather us be known as the fans that drag the players over the line, rather than the ones who constantly sing throughout a game for the sake of doing so.

Clubs like Newcastle do exactly that - they visibly lift players beyond their capability when it's really needed - it's a wall of noise. Perhaps we're just not that passionate.

We're good at singing, making some noise. We're rubbish at supporting.

I love this south stand business, it's great to hear a bit of enthusiasm, but I doubt when Eustace's legs have gone the sound of Dale Cavese keeps him going. I'm sure the ring leaders of the South Stand movement didn't have the motivation and support of the players in mind when starting this up - more, the fans matchday experience. Which is fine, not a criticism at all, just an observation.

I'd much rather us be known as the fans that drag the players over the line, rather than the ones who constantly sing throughout a game for the sake of doing so.

Clubs like Newcastle do exactly that - they visibly lift players beyond their capability when it's really needed - it's a wall of noise. Perhaps we're just not that passionate.

Totally agree with this, there's a big place for singing, jumping up and down etc. and away from home when there's a whole stand doing it, it's great.

At home it's a different kettle of fish and I feel it needs to be more related to what's going on the pitch rather than random generic singing.

I think you're right about the contrast between the fans matchday experience and the actual atmosphere and support for the side. Hopefully the continued improvement in the results will help to boost things.

Wouldn't really know where to start with an answer though!!

Totally agree with this, there's a big place for singing, jumping up and down etc. and away from home when there's a whole stand doing it, it's great.

At home it's a different kettle of fish and I feel it needs to be more related to what's going on the pitch rather than random generic singing.

I think you're right about the contrast between the fans matchday experience and the actual atmosphere and support for the side. Hopefully the continued improvement in the results will help to boost things.

Wouldn't really know where to start with an answer though!!

Hang on, hang on, so with such a poor performance as a result of Wigan's suppressive football, its okay not to sing?

Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy that - the team plays poorly, fans don't sing, other fans complain about the lack of singing, blame the team for being poor.

Sounds like a punishment. Sounds deathly boring - and I haven't paid good money to sit in silence, if I wanted to do that, I'd join a library. 

I want to sing, I like to feel as if I can have, no matter how small, some effect on the team. If you don't want to sing when we play badly, or aren't allowed to play well, then you know where the door is.

Hang on, hang on, so with such a poor performance as a result of Wigan's suppressive football, its okay not to sing?

Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy that - the team plays poorly, fans don't sing, other fans complain about the lack of singing, blame the team for being poor.

Sounds like a punishment. Sounds deathly boring - and I haven't paid good money to sit in silence, if I wanted to do that, I'd join a library.

I want to sing, I like to feel as if I can have, no matter how small, some effect on the team. If you don't want to sing when we play badly, or aren't allowed to play well, then you know where the door is.

Nah you're missing my point which was agreeing with what Asanovic said about dale cavase not always being the answer to lift the players. I'm with you we should do what we can to lift the players and enjoy ourselves if the footy isn't the best.

Dont get me wrong i love to get involved in the singing I just dont think it's always the answer to creating 'atmosphere' and giving the players a lift.

More 'come on Derby' less 'la la la la la'. I dunno.

I dont have any answers i just agreed with the point asanovic was making.

This isn't atmosphere related but does anyone find it strange how we have two announcers?

There's the guy who announces the teams and does all the half time ******, and then the other guy who says 'matchball delivered by DHL' and announces the scorers. Surely this should be a one man job?

This isn't atmosphere related but does anyone find it strange how we have two announcers?

There's the guy who announces the teams and does all the half time ******, and then the other guy who says 'matchball delivered by DHL' and announces the scorers. Surely this should be a one man job?

Better than the play group announcing the team. God that was embarrassing.

I agree that it would be nice to hear a bit more traditional singing which directly references the team or the players.

There are very few chants which celebrate individual players....apart from the jamie ward durge.

Too busy singing about garden sheds, other towns being shiitholes, and the architectural merit of the opposition stadium?

I agree more singing about the team rather than sky sports chanting that every single team does. My biggest gripe on an away day is a 90 minute rendition of a song picked up from overseas. It doesn't have any relevance on the players or team, and just makes us the same as every other club out there. I know we chant sheep, but don't act like them!

Archived