Jamie Ward

Day

Ward is playing as well or as badly this season as he has any other season. What has happened is the team has gone past him. The system we are playing this season depends on absolute teamwork, with everyone simple but accurate football,  

Jamie is still trying 'Hollywood' passes and shots, some come off and some don't. We are more frustrated with him now because we  have alternative ways to score goals rather than the odd occasional brilliance. For me, he should be picked as a sub to back up Russell and Dawkins.

We should celebrate his perceived decline, as it actually the result of our progress. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ward is playing as well or as badly this season as he has any other season. What has happened is the team has gone past him. The system we are playing this season depends on absolute teamwork, with everyone simple but accurate football,

Jamie is still trying 'Hollywood' passes and shots, some come off and some don't. We are more frustrated with him now because we have alternative ways to score goals rather than the odd occasional brilliance. For me, he should be picked as a sub to back up Russell and Dawkins.

We should celebrate his perceived decline, as it actually the result of our progress.

Agree entirely.

I'm not entirely convinced.

Dawkins retains the ball better atm and suits our current style, but look at the yeovil team goal.

Great passing, great team play, but who makes the decisive move by beating his man and driving towards the edge of the box?

On another day JW will be the difference again.

I'd prefer to have Dawkins and have Jacobs on the bench then have Ward starting and Dawkins on the bench.

Lacks intelligence big time, and although he'll score the odd wonder goal he'll have 40 odd attempts for every goal he'll score from 30 yards

Ward's attitude is poor to be quite honest. He does too many things wrong in a game. Flashes of brilliance but we need more consistency in his teamwork. I am sick of seeing him attempt the touch with the outside of his boot flicking the ball through the players legs. It is totally unnecessary and almost always leads to him losing possession or spoiling a counter attack.

He is a squad player for me. Doesn't deserve a place in the starting line up. Changes his attitude and he really would be one of the best in the league. But changing a selfish player with a poor attitude is very difficult. Even when it is achieved it can take a very long time. I don't think we should be wasting any more time on his potential or ability to change his attitude.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Jacobs comes back. I always thought Jacobs was the natural successor to Ward.  

+ Those set pieces. They are absolutely terrible. If we have someone half decent we could easily have another 10-15 goals a season. 

Ward was the star player when we were scratching around in lower mid-table.

He has ability, but lacks stamina and intelligence to be in future plans. If he starts, he's anonymous after 60 minutes.

His set-plays and tendency to shoot when assists are an option are what will ultimately define why his level is mid-table in the Championship. I always want him to do well, but if he leaves, so be it. He's just another Tommy Smith and we'll just get by without him as players like him are ten-a-penny.

Ward was the star player when we were scratching around in lower mid-table.

He has ability, but lacks stamina and intelligence to be in future plans. If he starts, he's anonymous after 60 minutes.

His set-plays and tendency to shoot when assists are an option are what will ultimately define why his level is mid-table in the Championship. I always want him to do well, but if he leaves, so be it. He's just another Tommy Smith and we'll just get by without him as players like him are ten-a-penny.

Blasphemy. Tommy Smith was twice the player.

Really?

Unfair?

Also, the arrogance in the comment I highlighted is palpable.

" arrogant" ? I think you read into my comments a bit strangely. Might be easier to comment if you gave us an insight into why you think some of us might be " scapegoaters" or why my comment is " arrogant" Its hard to know when you just throw one liners without qualification or expansion. Help!

I'm staggered to be reading that Jamie Ward is selfish and has a poor attitude. Staggered and disappointed.

He's been our narky little Jamie for bloody ages. I'm sure a couple of games ago he'd had a run of scoring 4 in 5 or something like that, not to mnetion how many he's laid on a plate for Chris Martin or Bryson.

Blimey but we're suddenly getting ideas that Jamie Ward isn't good enough for us but Simon Dawkins is? 23 appearances this season and we're in the play offs but he's not good enough.

Oh my but we're a fickle fickle group.

Jamie Ward, if you're reading this sunshine, I'd still have you in my starting 11 every single week. It'll be a sad day if we turn on him after he's given us everything he's got. Sad but I have to say not surprising.

I really don't get this Dawkins love in. I guess I've got to get used to being the controversial one around here.

Jamie absolutely loves being the one to put in the final shot or the killer ball, to a fault. Which is why he single handedly did everything for us last season, being the only one to try things. This season however, he doesn't need to do that. The sooner someone tells him this and he starts being a member of the team the better.

" arrogant" ? I think you read into my comments a bit strangely. Might be easier to comment if you gave us an insight into why you think some of us might be " scapegoaters" or why my comment is " arrogant" Its hard to know when you just throw one liners without qualification or expansion. Help!

The arrogance is making a sweeping judgement yourself and then projecting that statement as a universal truth. I can see it, ergo so can everyone. It's also not ALL your comments - just one sentence in one where you were setting yourself up as a spokesman. 

Perhaps something got lost in translation.

It seems quite simple on something that we all can agree on, is that over the last few weeks, we haven't seen the Jamie Ward that we once knew.

Is that because the team have raised their game on a new level and Ward is left behind, or is it simply that he is having a dip?

What is nice is to have is that last season, Ward's name was first on the team sheet on the left side of midfield, why - because we didn't have anyone else to choose from. Now, we do have a choice.  I have always said, that Ward would be better on the bench to give fullbacks that have played for 60+ minutes with tired legs something else to think about. His pace and his confidence to run at FB's will never be missed.  

Maybe a couple of games away from competitive football would be good for him both mentally and physically, but he and we know (or at least should do) that he doesn't get a shirt on a Saturday afternoon by default.

I wouldn't be to sorry to see him go, on the basis that we find a 'reasonable' alternative.  Agent Clough with a bid for £500,000 - I would take it.

Jamie Ward is not playing at his best, and some people seem to be writing him off. I think that they are somewhat premature in their judgement. There were times last season when he went through a similar spell, only to bounce back.

(Note that I didn't use phrases like "Any fool can see that…." or "Anyone who goes to matches…." )

Wardy's a wildcard and what you have to remember about him is that even if he is out of form he's the sort of the player that IS off-form for a while each season. Like everyone said with Commons, he'll be injured for 1/3 of the season, out of form for 1/3 of the season but for that 1/3 he's in form he'll be sublime.

I'd expect that this conversation will be had about him each season.

Your godlike infallibility is palpable.

It's not 'god-like infallibility' in general - but it's certainly up there when compared to you.

Wardy's a wildcard and what you have to remember about him is that even if he is out of form he's the sort of the player that IS off-form for a while each season. Like everyone said with Commons, he'll be injured for 1/3 of the season, out of form for 1/3 of the season but for that 1/3 he's in form he'll be sublime.

I'd expect that this conversation will be had about him each season.

can we afford passengers for this amount of gametime? I don't think we can anymore.

can we afford passengers for this amount of gametime? I don't think we can anymore.

I don't think we can afford passengers at all. Saying that, how much did Perch's assassination attempt take out of him?

Archived