Gerald Mortimer RIP

Cardifframs

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed reading Gerald's reports on both Derby County and Derbyshire County Cricket Club. His knowledge was second to none.

An old school journalist, who was obviously a very intelligent man.

Although he had a very good innings, he will be missed by many who appreciated his work.

His reporting was the only reason I have subscribed to the DET for many years; having said that I think he has left us with an excellent successor in Steve Nicholson.

I got to know Gerald over the last decade, always bumping into him in the press room at PPS, he was a cantankerous old git who undoubtedly had no time for either fools or the 'fancy dans' as he used to call them, and was always good value for a natter on all things rams and Derbyshire cricket.

He wasn't in the best of health and was struggling towards the end but I'll miss him, his like are rare and much like Gordon Guthrie and Sid the doorman (he's not the doorman anymore but it's how I'll always remember him at the bbg) he was part of the Derby County fabric.

Few will ever have his knowledge or experience, and so his passing is important and should be remembered. The Rams have lost someone who whilst he didn't play or represent the club was very much part of it. Farewell Gerald.

I got to know Gerald over the last decade, always bumping into him in the press room at PPS, he was a cantankerous old git who undoubtedly had no time for either fools or the 'fancy dans' as he used to call them, and was always good value for a natter on all things rams and Derbyshire cricket.

He wasn't in the best of health and was struggling towards the end but I'll miss him, his like are rare and much like Gordon Guthrie and Sid the doorman (he's not the doorman anymore but it's how I'll always remember him at the bbg) he was part of the Derby County fabric.

Few will ever have his knowledge or experience, and so his passing is important and should be remembered. The Rams have lost someone who whilst he didn't play or represent the club was very much part of it. Farewell Gerald.

I didn't know Gerald but reading this I would have liked him!

RIP Gerald, my sympathies to his family and to all affected by his passing.

RIP Gerald. Up The Rams. I was fortunate to meet some wonderful people whilst watching the rams on pre season in Belgium & Holland. Such friends will be friends for life and beyond. Such friends introduced me to so many great things about Derby and I will always be very thankful for such. I first met Gerald on route to a game in Finland and since have enjoyed a few post match pints in The Smithfield where a group of friends have sat in Gerald's company enjoying chat on sport and life. Again I will always be very thankful to such and may the good times continue for all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived