Potential Leicester City collapse..

Ambitious

I was torn whether to put this here, or in football talk - but since they're direct title rivals, it's worth the promotion to this section.

Anyway, it's worth sitting up and taking note of this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/leicester-city/10535938/Leicester-City-facing-January-transfer-exodus.html

Pearson, the manager, and 11 first-team players are out of contract at the end of the season and negotiations have been put on hold until Leicester know what division they will be in.

Kasper Schmeichel, skipper Wes Morgan and former England internationals David Nugent and Paul Konchesky are four of the players whose futures are up in the air.

Schmeichel is being targeted by Newcastle and West Ham and a string of European clubs while Nottingham Forest remain interest in both Morgan and Nugent.

The uncertainty is creating resentment in the dressing room and there is growing frustration among the squad that talks have been suspended until the summer.

Pearson has guided Leicester to third in the Championship and is battling to keep his players focused despite the threat of key players leaving next month.

His future is also uncertain and due to his achievements this season Leicester run the risk of an approach from rival clubs, with compensation expected to be minimal.

Leicester appointed Terry Robinson as director of football in June with a remit to bring the Championship club in line with the new Financial Fair Play rules.

It's looking likely that January could be the turning point in their season (hopefully) - I wouldn't mind Nugent and Morgan going to Forest, despite making them stronger - it would considerably weaken Leicester.

Forest aren't competition to us, we're far too superior - they will be battling Leeds for that last play-off spot, just to let Billy bottle it anyway.

Anyway, with Leicester and Burnley looking prone to crumbling in Janaury - that leaves us and QPR.

Get your flanges ready for may.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was torn whether to put this here, or in football talk - but since they're direct title rivals, it's worth the promotion to this section.

Anyway, it's worth sitting up and taking note of this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/leicester-city/10535938/Leicester-City-facing-January-transfer-exodus.html

It's looking likely that January could be the turning point in their season (hopefully) - I wouldn't mind Nugent and Morgan going to Forest, despite making them stronger - it would considerably weaken Leicester.

Forest aren't competition to us, we're far too superior - they will be battling Leeds for that last play-off spot, just to let Billy bottle it anyway.

Anyway, with Leicester and Burnley looking prone to crumbling in Janaury - that leaves us and QPR.

Get your flanges ready for may.

Love this! Got Fester fans coming to my Boxing Day party. A lovely discussion point over some mince pies!!!

They'll sort it out unless they're ******* idiots. Morgan and Nugent also won't want to leave Leicester for Forest, know for a fact from Liam Moore himself that Morgan is determined to stay with Leicester and get to the PL; matter of principle for him.

Mind you, we should look to nick a few if Schteve thinks they're good enough

They'll sort it out unless they're ******* idiots. Morgan and Nugent also won't want to leave Leicester for Forest, know for a fact from Liam Moore himself that Morgan is determined to stay with Leicester and get to the PL; matter of principle for him.

Mind you, we should look to nick a few if Schteve thinks they're good enough

I know we're heavy set on defenders but would love Morgan here, best defender in the league and has been for years - proven entity. Even at Forest when he was prone to mistakes, 90% of his game was unplayable - he's cut out the mistakes now (it seems)

He would be the one I'd move heaven and earth for.

Aside from that, Liam Moore is a superemly talented young defender - despite the Dogs going on about Lascelles, he is miles behind Moore in terms of quality.

Morgan is great at this level, bit of an Ox as Darren Moore was for us under Billy.

Im not sure Morgan like Moore would cut it in the premier either, if we are talking about raiding Leicester after we get promoted and they don't!

Theres also the discussion do you want a Central defender who can play a bit under our current system.

Morgan like Barker if he suddently got fit, whilst being an asset as an out and out defender, you'd have to worry about them with the ball at their feet as we try play it around the back 4 the way we do.

That's what they get for paying stupid wages for average players. They've realised they can't afford half the squad, which was eventually going to happen with these new rules. It's basically an ultimatum for Fester. Get promotion or start from square one and rebuild. Which means our club would have progressed further, spending less money and have a better squad.

Actually I think this is perfect motivation for Leicester.

If they try hard and suceed then their contracts will be big fat renewals as they will have the prem money coming in, and the ones that are surplus will find it easy to find clubs as they have 'promotion' experiance.

Even if they fail, Leicester may lose some big salary players, however with FFP around the corner, suddenly their books look a bit more balanced abd not having large salaried players on the books allows them to build again.

So looking at as an overall financial picture, even if they fail they can lose the high value assets and not be straddled with them, unlike some other clubs.  Success and it was a great gamble to take and they get the rich rewards.

I was talking to an ex-colleague the other day (Leicester STH). He told me that they're looking to clear the decks a bit and get the finances under control. Sounds sensible, and perhaps a reporter is trying to create drama where none exists.

If thats the case, I reckon they need Cloughie ;)

I don't care too much for money

Money can't buy you:-

Loyalty

Success

Skill

Promotion

Sayng power.

Funny but that article at the top of this topic proves it by exposing Fester's Achilles' Heel.

If players are enticed to join by a ludicrously lucrative offer they will only deliver the goods for themselves, not the team or football club.

Nigel built a loyal squad who desperatelly wanted.

Steve has done an amazing job of building on this. He has clearly not engendered a fear of sweeping changes. This has boosted Rams player's confidence to such an extent thatthey can concentrate fully on their playing skills.

I've always been glad to be a Rams fan. Rarely more so than right now!

Seems pretty calculated approach from their board/directors/whoever runs the show there. All of those contracts ending before FFP can't be coincidence. Different and more costful approach than ours, hope it's not so good.

If we both go up, I'd say they would be in better position than us. No dead wood to get rid of, just offer contract to those are good enough in PL.

Archived