What clubs could seriously tempt McClaren to leave?

Mostyn6

And there lies the problem with English football fans.

Was that opinion based on what you know about the other teams or on the fact that we won the World Cup 47 years ago and therefore are still better than everyone else.

As Bris has said both Croatia away and home were winnable but were lost due to goalkeeping mistakes. Although I suppose the 'Wally With The Brolly' was to blame for that because the media said so, just the same as Sven and Fabio became bad managers when managing a team that has the divine right to reach every final.

Just out of interest, if England were to play Bolivia away what result would you expect?

I would think a narrow defeat highly probable. I am not one of these fans that think England have the divine right. Not at all.

I do however think that with the squad we had at the time and bear in mind, this was on the back of a World Cup quarter final; we should have been qualifying in ahead of the likes of Russia and Croatia.

They were well behind us in the FIFA rankings at that time and whatever you may or may not think of those rankings, they are based on results.

Those games may have been lost on goalkeeping errors but we should never have been in the position of needing something out of our final game.

McClaren admits himself he made mistakes as England manager and to quote "the job was too much too soon".

The entire football world ridiculed him. When Capello and Sven left, they were able to do so with their head held fairly high. It was not the case for McClaren.

I am not defending him or attacking the man. I am merely stating it like it was and like it is. He will never again be considered for a plumb managerial job in English football. Coaching maybe..........

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why did he pick those players then?

You need to get your facts right as well. He actually dropped Sol Campbell along with Beckham.

The while country was in uproar when we failed because that is what he did as manager.....fail. The first time in 24 years we hadn't qualified for the Euros. He was negative in his set up and paid the price. There is no second chance in International football management.

There was a reason why McClaren remains the shortest tenure of any English manager in history.

I find it amusing how some Rams fans now decide to suddenly try and defend his shoddy reign as England manager.

He's doing great for DCFC thus far but to try and defend his England reign is laughable. He will always be a bit of a standing joke in England because of that failure.

Well at least us Rams fans are used to negative tactics. Two of our last three managers have been negative, with the other being just plain useless. 

England are typically a quarter final team. Anything less is below par. Anything more is decent. Failing to qualify for a tournament as England manager is going to get you the sack, whoever you are. MaClaren failed as England manager, no question.

Anyway, I'm very glad he's Derby manager now!

Archived