What clubs could seriously tempt McClaren to leave?

Mostyn6

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He applied and was interviewed for the Wigan job. He also applied for the Wolves job in the summer before they appointed Jackett, followed by applying for the England u21 job

We beat Coyle to get him the sack from Wigan, loaned out Jacobs to Wolves and have three England U-21 internationals in our first XI. Small world huh.

Mostyn? are you a journalist?or worse still McLarens agent, trying to earn yourself a bob or two on the side?

Scare mongering belongs in the papers not on here?

He's a drama queen, I reckon

Macca has already said he won't work with wrong people... So I guess that rules out lots of clubs: whole Italy, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern München, PSG, Monaco and Chelsea.

So potential candidates which are bigger than we are: Atletico Madrid, Arsenal, ManU and Dortmund.

Black horses would be PSV, Ajax and few international teams.

I'm pretty confident we're safe for now but when Wenger retires, hope we have Steve tied with long a contract.

I stared writing this with tonque in cheek, but now I'm not sure about it. After all he has experience from Champions League, Europa League with Boro and Twente, England, Dutch champion without one of big teams... And after bringing mid-table Championship club to gates of Europa League just in 1,5 seasons, he could be quite wanted man :unsure:

Mostyn? are you a journalist?or worse still McLarens agent, trying to earn yourself a bob or two on the side?

Scare mongering belongs in the papers not on here?

no, was just bored at work, with nothing to do, trying to create a debate.

For the record, I think that too much feels 'right' here and only a select few clubs could attract McClaren, but as I say in the OP, they are the clubs that wouldn't look at McClaren.

no, was just bored at work, with nothing to do, trying to create a debate.

For the record, I think that too much feels 'right' here and only a select few clubs could attract McClaren, but as I say in the OP, they are the clubs that wouldn't look at McClaren.

Phew. You had us going for a while, Widow Twanky.

:p

What else could I do? They had me there from until 1pm. There was no production and all I had to do was organise a courier to bring something in from Essex! 

My brother-in-law had the opposite problem today - he had about 15 separate new parts that he had to put through a QC process - all had to be checked and he was the only person with the authorisation to issue the certificates. I hope he got finished at a reasonable time. I was delivering presents to him and my sister (DerbyBird) but mid-afternoon and still no Dave.

My own site is on 2 weeks shutdown, but as I WFH 80% of the time it doesn't make a lot of difference to me.

The 'wally with the brollie' will be well under the radar of any of the bigger clubs and I think we need not fear why it won't remain that way.

His reputation as a coach will always be good but as a manager, he will always be the guy that failed in qualification from a straight forward group at the time.

The 'wally with the brollie' will be well under the radar of any of the bigger clubs and I think we need not fear why it won't remain that way.

His reputation as a coach will always be good but as a manager, he will always be the guy that failed in qualification from a straight forward group at the time.

A straight forward group? Both Russia and Croatia made it past the group stages at Euro 2008, the only two teams from the same qualifying group to do so.

His England team was bang average aswell. Carson, Crouch, Micah Richards, Wayne Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Joe Cole, Sol Campbell all in the starting line up. It was a horrific squad that was easily the 3rd best in that group

A straight forward group? Both Russia and Croatia made it past the group stages at Euro 2008, the only two teams from the same qualifying group to do so.

His England team was bang average aswell. Carson, Crouch, Micah Richards, Wayne Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Joe Cole, Sol Campbell all in the starting line up. It was a horrific squad that was easily the 3rd best in that group

So why did he pick those players then?

You need to get your facts right as well. He actually dropped Sol Campbell along with Beckham.

The while country was in uproar when we failed because that is what he did as manager.....fail. The first time in 24 years we hadn't qualified for the Euros. He was negative in his set up and paid the price. There is no second chance in International football management.

There was a reason why McClaren remains the shortest tenure of any English manager in history.

I find it amusing how some Rams fans now decide to suddenly try and defend his shoddy reign as England manager.

He's doing great for DCFC thus far but to try and defend his England reign is laughable. He will always be a bit of a standing joke in England because of that failure.

So why did he pick those players then?

You need to get your facts right as well. He actually dropped Sol Campbell along with Beckham.

The while country was in uproar when we failed because that is what he did as manager.....fail. The first time in 24 years we hadn't qualified for the Euros. He was negative in his set up and paid the price. There is no second chance in International football management.

There was a reason why McClaren remains the shortest tenure of any English manager in history.

I find it amusing how some Rams fans now decide to suddenly try and defend his shoddy reign as England manager.

He's doing great for DCFC thus far but to try and defend his England reign is laughable. He will always be a bit of a standing joke in England because of that failure.

He started Sol Campbell against Croatia did he not? Check the starting line up, it was horrific.

I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just not deluded enough to think that England had a good team then. It was awful, and were placed with both two sides who both made the quarter final and semi final of Euro 2008. That Russia side knocked out the Netherlands, people easily forget that.

There is a reason he had the shortest reign ever yes.. The feckin deluded parasites that call themselves the English media destroyed him. They won't ever be happy until Harry Redknapp is in charge.

He failed to qualify out of the official hardest group, and partly because of a goalkeeping error, and that makes his reign shoddy? England have failed with better players in easier groups in the past. That is a fact.

He started Sol Campbell against Croatia did he not? Check the starting line up, it was horrific.

I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just not deluded enough to think that England had a good team then. It was awful, and were placed with both two sides who both made the quarter final and semi final of Euro 2008. That Russia side knocked out the Netherlands, people easily forget that.

There is a reason he had the shortest reign ever yes.. The feckin deluded parasites that call themselves the English media destroyed him. They won't ever be happy until Harry Redknapp is in charge.

He failed to qualify out of the official hardest group, and partly because of a goalkeeping error, and that makes his reign shoddy? England have failed with better players in easier groups in the past. That is a fact.

No. I would say that failing to beat Macedonia and Israel made his reign shoddy........oh and the matter of failing to get a draw against Croatia at home.

We had a group consisting of Croatia, Russia, Israel, Macedonia, Estonia and Andorra. In 2008, I wouldn't have put any of those sides above England. Nobody would.

Of the twelve games involving those clubs, we only managed seven wins. That is not good enough and was not good enough.

Just looking at the groups, our group was one of the easier ones so I would disagree with your opinion that it was the toughest.

I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

We've given him a chance to rebuild his reputation as a manager. I don't think many clubs in the top 2 tiers would say yes please to him after the Forest stint. A world class coach but as a manager, it's a totally different story. I just hope he doesn't get greedy, like a certain dwarf over the A52 and demand a stupid contract if we finish in the top 6. 

No. I would say that failing to beat Macedonia and Israel made his reign shoddy........oh and the matter of failing to get a draw against Croatia at home.

We had a group consisting of Croatia, Russia, Israel, Macedonia, Estonia and Andorra. In 2008, I wouldn't have put any of those sides above England. Nobody would.

Of the twelve games involving those clubs, we only managed seven wins. That is not good enough and was not good enough.

Just looking at the groups, our group was one of the easier ones so I would disagree with your opinion that it was the toughest.

And there lies the problem with English football fans.

Was that opinion based on what you know about the other teams or on the fact that we won the World Cup 47 years ago and therefore are still better than everyone else.

As Bris has said both Croatia away and home were winnable but were lost due to goalkeeping mistakes. Although I suppose the 'Wally With The Brolly' was to blame for that because the media said so, just the same as Sven and Fabio became bad managers when managing a team that has the divine right to reach every final.

Just out of interest, if England were to play Bolivia away what result would you expect?

Let's not get daft about all this, managers are usually 'flavours' of the month.

Ponch at Southampton was United fans favourite to take over from Moyes last month, well the ones who wanted him out. And now the bloke canna buy a win, so it all swings and roundabouts.

It won't be long before the 'hindsight' crew are out again, believe me.

Israel made it through 2006 World Cup qualifying unbeaten, so they were hardly a bad side at the time.

Archived